DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 8 Wyatt vs. Mochizuki

Wyatt vs. Mochizuki  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What'll it beeeeeeee

Ugh, this one sucks because the Wyatt/Shield fued has made me start to come around on Bray.  Mochizuki's good, as are most of the DG guys.  You can't deny Bray's mic work.  But even though I'm coming around on him, his in-ring is still suspect with me because of his match structure (I still hate the layout of the Bryan Rumble match), and I'm not sold on him without someone with him to carry the load.

I think Mochi is one of the best dudes in Dragon Gate because he plays the vet so well. All these other dudes have youth and looks and speed, so Mochi just plays harder. the other guys can run their asses off, but Mochi knows all he has to do is left his foot and kick their pretty little faces in. 

I like him in this tag match:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x194ezk_masaaki-mochizuki-kenichiro-arai-vs-t-hawk-u-t-dragon-gate_sport

He let's T-Hawk get some chops in, let him thinks he's a big man, before just punching him in the face like a punk. 

I'm not going to vote since I won't have  time to watch Mochizuki. But being the biggest Bray fan there is, I just want to point out that in the past five months he has been in some insanely terrific moments and matches.

1) The EC match is on the short list for Match of the Decade.

2) The rematch from last night is one of the handful of best free TV matches of the year.

3) The EC match got a "This Is Awesome" chant before the match actually began. The build to it was so electric and awesome. That doesn't happen without Bray hitting home runs every time he gets to bat.

4) I still haven't seen the RR match but everyone raves about that. That's on my to do list.

5) The angle with Daniel Bryan only served to get Daniel Bryan somehow even MORE over. The crowd aping for Bryan doing the YES! chant on top of the cage doesn't work if Bray wasn't such an epic foil.

• Like 1

Like Matt, I will abstain until someone can sell me on Mochizuki. Has his stuff this year been demonstrably superior to other years in his career? I feel like he has been the same worker the past few years that he was in 2007. Has he really improved or progressed or notably been different?

I'm pretty neutral about Bray in the grand scheme of things.  I like what the Wyatts are doing, and I appreciate that it lets me see Luke Harper a few times a week, but Bray is just a little too much.  I think it's the spider walk.  I really want him to stop doing that.

The Mochi tag that Jae posted is a fun match, with good veteran ass-kickery.  The punch spot referenced was really nice, and seemed like a "holy shit" kind of moment when you're used to never ending chop/elbow battles in Japan.

I voted for Bray.  Gregg basically pointed out the reasons why.  I'm in the middle on him with regard to his promos, but he's good and getting better.  I do like his collection of signature moves though, specifically his cross-body and Sister Abigail.  The flash-finish application has been really good against Bryan and Rey this year.

Also, a potential tie-breaker for Bray going forward: Following the EC PPV my friends and I have started using "Sister Abigail's Kiss" as a Ron Burgandy style exclamation.

So I started watching Jae's clip and wanted to tap out at around 20 minutes of kick, kick, kick ala mode, kick , kick, kick with meat sauce, kick.  Then Mochizuki and Yano did a sequence where they traded that tilt-a-whirl armbreaker Sin Mystico does for ... wait for it, kicks.  It may have been the dumbest trade moves and not sell sequence I have ever seen and I've watched a bunch of Japan stuff this week.  I had to shut it down.  Much more fun to watch Mochizuki get his foot ripped off by Fujiwara in less than 10 minutes and way better use of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNN9kkSRlU

Not that this makes me want to see anymore of Mochizuki by the way.

Bray leaves me wanting more.  He's not a 'world best worker' yet but he comes across really well from a perspective of working the character.  The opportunistic hammer of the Wyatt Family works really well which is saying something since he's partnered with two monster workers.  But you feel the pace pick up when he gets going.

Got five minutes? I'd take this over Bryan/Wyatt in a heartbeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNN9kkSRlU

I prefer Bryan/Wyatt at RR, but this was alright!

OK, this is where I show that I grew up on a lot of WWF. Bray is a solid wrestler, but that gimmick will drive me to vote for him over other guys as a tiebreaker. The Wyatts are some of the few people that, when the lights go out, I get the sense that some people are going to get fucked up in just a second. It's the same sort of feeling you'd get as a kid when you'd hear DONG and 'Taker would come out to wreak havoc and hurt people. 

Bray nails that gimmick and it really, really works for me. 

• Like 1

Mochizuki's a guy I'm unfamiliar with...but I'm still gonna vote for Wyatt because Mochizuki could fly to the ring on a flying carpet and shoot fireworks out of his nipples as a finisher and I'll still go "Eh, I'd rather watch Bray Wyatt" so yeah...

I'm not much of a puro guy, but at this point, based on in-ring abilities I can't vote for Bray yet. And I think the spider walk is really fucking stupid. He should be getting heat butted JYD style or taking green mist to the face when doing it. 

This one is super tough. Bray has gotten so much better in the ring. I love the impact on his running cross body, he's doing a lot of things right in the ring. I'm voting based mainly on in ring stuff but Bray is owning this gimmick so much I have to factor that in.

Someone asked a question how is 2007 Mochi different from current Mochi. I had to stop and think. I'm a lil behind on my Dragon Gate viewing but I've seen a handful of his 2013 stuff and not much has changed. The Yoshino match was fantastic and the Fujiwara match was a joy but I gotta lean toward Bray.

That match just demonstrates that Fujiwara should win this whole fucking tourney

Yeah I like Mochi more than most everyone in DG, but he wasn't the star of that match.

Bray has been in a top three singles match so far this year, and the best trios match so far this year.

This wasn't hard

Yeah, I came out of that wanting to see more old, old man Fujiwara. I would definitely vote that ref's hair over Magnus though. Mochizuki was pretty emotive in his selling and was smooth enough but I'm still going with Bray.