DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 7 Henry vs. Bully Ray

Mark Henry vs. Bully Ray  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

This is the first really tough one of guys who had awesome years.  Bully proved to be the best thing in a promotion that was bogged down with more dumb shit than early 90's WCW, and had some of his best work ever.  Henry is Henry.  The fake retirement was outstanding.

But it pains me to vote against the Curator of the Hall of Pain and Distributor of Air, but his injury time off along with Bully pretty much making chicken salad out of chicken shit for most of the year gives this to Bully.

Nothing Bully Ray did touches the teased retirement speech from Mark Henry. Even though Mark was injured for a large part of the year, I still feel he was the better guy.

Bubba has quantity and quality going for him. Henry's fake retirement was incredible but he hasn't been on TV nearly enough while Bubba's been a freaking workhorse.

Not only was the retirement segment amazing, but the match at MitB was one of the most underrated matches of the year, and my pick for Cena's best singles match excluding the recent Cesaro affair. Henry is also one of the few guys on the roster who consistently gets on "Oh, shit" reaction from the crowd no matter how he is booked. Last night is a great example. Henry coming out to confront Lesnar was a tremendous reaction, because it actually caused the audience to be honest instead of self congratulatory. 

Bully Ray had 2 of the worst spots in history this year. It was said when it happened it was going to hurt him come March Madness. Let's see. I'm still looking for the second one from the ladder match. TNA actually had the sense to cut it out from their youtube post of the match.

Found it. I set the time on this one.

http://youtu.be/StAQS-YXifk?t=8m6s

At first I was thought "Big deal the stupid table broke, that's not Bully's fault." Then they proceeded to reset their props for the spot. That was the worst thing I've seen Bully do in a long while.

I was all set to vote for Bully, because for some reason it felt like the fake retirement happened last year.

Then I clicked the link, saw the salmon blazer, and it was over.

• Like 1

Seriously you guys.   Here is pages and pages of our lives thanks to Mark:

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1063-december-wrestling-chit-chat/?p=90453

Note:  a special shout out to Jae as this discussion happened about the same time as Batista's return leaked:

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1063-december-wrestling-chit-chat/?p=90330

YEAH, BUDDY!!!! 

It's simple for me: Matches that are really high quality to me more than make up for spotty production. Henry/Cena at MitB is one of my favorite matches of the past couple years and far better than anything Bully Ray has ever been involved in as a TNA wrestler. Henry.

The entertainment factor of the amount of how pissed people get around here about air bill jokes should count as workrate for Mark.

He literally never stops working on the DVDVR.

I think it's more the memetastic nature of repeating something someone else said ad nauseum and thinking that it is instantly funny that is what winds people up, rather than anything actually related to Henry himself. I mean it'd be like if we were going to hold Gonzalez against CM Punk.

And yeah, I want to vote for Henry but he's not had enough, too long spent out injured. Where as Bully Ray hasn't hit the peaks that Henry has but has been more consistently enjoyable. Especially impressive with TNA being such a fuckup.

Mark Henry namedropping Men's Warehouse in his stuff with Cena was aces.

What was even better: How easy it was for him to turn back to being a face after the Cena feud was over. I forget who he then got into it with (I think The Shield?) but the crowd was chanting "You tapped out!" and Henry real calmly said, "He'd tap your asses out, too." Great stuff.

If this was Bully Ray with his Twittah machine and pointing at his calves, I would have had a much larger problem voting for Henry.  But after Aces and Eights and all the other nonsense TNA used to drive me away, I can't vote for Bully.  Unless there is some hidden classic Ken Anderson match I need to find.

Bubbah was pretty terrific at points in the last year, he really improved but in the end was swallowed in the Aces & Eights ridiculousness.

Mr. Henry is Mr. Henry, but he seemed like he was always either heading off for surgery or coming back from surgery every couple of months and I cant think of many great matches he had.

Bubbah for me.

If this was two years ago with the Bully Ray - Joesph Park feud id of said Ray but after last year with the fake out retirement and this iongoing Lesnar Thing im putting my money on Henry