DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 5 Goldust vs. Allmark

GOLDUST VS. DEAN ALLMARK  

91 members have voted

1. 1. choose

• Goldust
    • Dean-o

Goldust seems in better shape than he's ever been.  My one critique would be that he basically stole the show from Cody, who the whole angle was presumably designed to help get over.  However to rebut that, he's Goldust, and Cody is not.

Goldust does everything well. Everything.

You know what I love that he does? Interact with El Torito. He has this protective father/son type relationship with him over the last couple of weeks, with Torito doing the Goldust taunt to Ryback and Goldust making SURE to go to the corner and high five him after they won the match. This was the most important thing in the world to him.

And that's the LEAST of what Dustin does. The least, and it's still awesome.

I'm really excited to watch a match from a wrestler I've never seen before, but I will be totally honest and say he would have to be absolutely incredible to beat out Goldust this year, who has been a top five guy for the entirety of this recent run. 

Goldust has regressed in age about 10 years and became one of the best workers in the country and his punches and strikes are still outstanding. Dude busted out a Code Red on Raw, among other awesome moves. Vote Goldust or Die.

Voting Goldust because ... DAMN.  But let us say some nice words about Dean Allmark here.  The match posted here ain't my cup of tea with a bunch of counters and wristlocks and they are all well executed but there isn't a ton of emotional attachment.  But you go to the Dean Allmark channel on youtube and you find some quality stuff.  He totally feels like the local legend working in front of a high school crowd on a stage.  He gets involved with the crowd and connecting in a very real emotional sense and he makes it look really easy.  Like he is going out in the parking lot after the matches to hang out and sign free autographs and maybe he'd pose for a photo with you at the supermarket,  Now he isn't built like a freight train and he isn't doing anything that will make you forget about Dustin but he is an enjoyable way of spending 20 minutes.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iENPFLzqhg

Also this... 

EVERY match should end with a fog horn.  Every match.

This Allmark dude is alright! Nice little counter-wrestler. 

Goldust, on the other hand, had an amazing year. He had enough high-quality tag matches that I have a hard time picking out some of the dates because there are so many. Plus, he won me over with that sunset flip in whatever match that was in. He didn't have to do something like that, but he did anyway. 

Goldust has regressed in age about 10 years and became one of the best workers in the country and his punches and strikes are still outstanding. Dude busted out a Code Red on Raw, among other awesome moves. Vote Goldust or Die.

I see that thus far, no one wants to die.

I like Allmark, though he is the sort of guy that is so formulaic that if you watch a bunch of his matches over the course of the year you know exactly when and how every spot in the match is going to go.  I still think he's one of the best guys in Europe, and he was in a bunch of matches I really liked this year, but he's facing a guy who is the master of working formula, but mixing it up so much that you don't even realize you are watching a formula.  Goldust wins easy.