DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-3-14 - Raw in Chicago

MGFanJay

I'm still trying to figure out how Triple H having a point with his shooty comment about midcarders who bitch about being held down and Bryan going to the "but the fans are chanting for me" well a few too many times makes me a Republican somehow...

Not you, brah!  But their promo had a lot of that annoying thing where:

The two people who are either born or married into the super rich, super connected family that pulls all the strings are wagging their finger, telling the little guy working his ass off that he's not in the top 1% because he doesn't work hard enough and that he should know his place in life and accept whatever their class of special people decide to offer him out of the charity of their big hearts.

I dare someone to diagram that sentence.

One thing being slept on: Bryan/Batista wasn't a particularly good match. Not a BAD one per se, but I'm not sure I can remember a worse one Bryan has been in over the last year.

Batista is probably the worst worker in the company at this point.

Batista's a better worker than the Great Khali, for one

but then again, you put every WWE guy in 10-15 matches regularly like Batista and you'd find some people who are clearly worse than Batista.

I thought the main was fine. Bryan was pretty much in control the whole time until the finish, and Dave sold like a champ. For what was basically a means to further the angles, what was wrong with it?

Also, Ambrose just casually jacking the figure four was great.

It's almost as if the people bitching about the end of this show have never seen wrestling before.  Bryan is going over Hunter no doubt and probably ending Mania with the title.

I really hope that if I'm wrong nobody makes this into their sig.

Well now that you mentioned it, it has to be done.

I've got two other important questions about this Raw and WWE in general:

1. They can slow burn the Bryan thing forever, but they're really in such a rush to break up the Real Americans that they had Big E defend the IC belt twice in one night to further the angle?

2. Does Rusev beat out Tony Halme for "most arbitrary nation of origin to get an evil foreigner gimmick"?

I thought the main was fine. Bryan was pretty much in control the whole time until the finish, and Dave sold like a champ. For what was basically a means to further the angles, what was wrong with it?

In order: No it wasn't, no he wasn't, no he really didn't, and it was a mediocre match with a guy who has been everybody's best opponent for years now.

I've got two other important questions about this Raw and WWE in general:

1. They can slow burn the Bryan thing forever, but they're really in such a rush to break up the Real Americans that they had Big E defend the IC belt twice in one night to further the angle?

2. Does Rusev beat out Tony Halme for "most arbitrary nation of origin to get an evil foreigner gimmick"?

1. The belt wasn't on the line either time.

2. I agree with you on that one, I had quite a laughing fit when his backstory was explained. "He's from Bulgaria? No one are scared of Bulgarians!"

I thought the main was fine. Bryan was pretty much running around like a maniac doing everything the whole time until the finish, and Dave laid on the ground or slumped in the corner like a champ.

slight edits attached.

Again, especially for a non-finish, what's wrong with that?

Oh My God, that Shield-Wyatts match was completely fkn awesome.  Rollins was looking like he learned a thing or two from Daniel Bryan there flying around the ring, amazing stuff. And Bray's strategy works perfectly, he lures Dean out of his corner, Reigns follows, and they isolate Seth & then Ambrose and keep big Reigns out of all the action. Like piranesi & Gregg, I really enjoy the story being told of their relationships breaking down and the way it's been built up so well.  I was literally shocked when Seth walked out on Dean, I didn't think of that before but once it happens it's so simple and obvious, while all still being true to character.  Dean being the maniac is so goddamn enjoyable.  I loved the part where Ambrose spits in Harper's face and Harper just lays into him with a king-sized beating, slamming his head into the mat, giving him a SUWA dropkick into the corner and standing on his fucking face.  And that Yakuza kick from Harper at the end was insane, where he practically does a back tuck and roll into a handstand.  Dean Ambrose ruled this fucking match with his hilarious facial expressions and getting the shit kicked out of him by the Wyatt Clan.  Even Dean and his lunatic Thesz press combined with Reigns going into Beast mode couldn't stop them, I loved every second of this.

If this is it for them I gotta salute them, it's been an amazing run by The Shield.  They have brought it over the past year like no group ever, and in my mind will go down as one of the best teams/groups in WWE history.  But you just can't stop the madness of The Wyatts, as they continue to be one of the best acts in WWE history as well.  Just like their EC match, this was like a major changing of the guard event that cements the Wyatt Family as the fucking Reapers they are to the WWE Universe. A+ indeed

• Like 2

I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned how light DB was working Dave. Obviously that was the deal between them, but in the new world E most everyone lays snug work in. It seemed like Bryan's drop kicks and kicks were a little sweet. Which isn't a knock, quite the opposite, because they still looked really good, and not out of place compared to the work he was doing with everyone else.

For the few of you who didn't enjoy, please watch something else. This was the perfect Raw to build toward Mania, with maybe the exception of giving away the Uso win. But a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and THAT FUCKING TEAM FROM 1998 AREN'T CHAMPIONS ANYMORE.

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out how Triple H having a point with his shooty comment about midcarders who bitch about being held down and Bryan going to the "but the fans are chanting for me" well a few too many times makes me a Republican somehow...

Not you, brah!  But their promo had a lot of that annoying thing where:

The two people who are either born or married into the super rich, super connected family that pulls all the strings are wagging their finger, telling the little guy working his ass off that he's not in the top 1% because he doesn't work hard enough and that he should know his place in life and accept whatever their class of special people decide to offer him out of the charity of their big hearts.

I dare someone to diagram that sentence.

I think it was more a Saiyan Elite "No amount of training will make you my equal.." deal.

The end of Raw was really well done, with Bryan succeeding in bringing HHH down to his level. 

Has the play-by-play/color commentary ever been worse in WWE? Cole is a decent milquetoast play-by-play guy, but even by those standards he's not even in the same stratosphere as a Mike Goldberg. He's really only there to robotically repeat WWE buzzwords over and over again. Lawler barely knows what's going on half of the time and I'm pretty sure he spends most of the show playing solitaire on his iPad, and JBL is apparently getting worse by association, because he went from being really, really good to God awful over the last few months. Like, can he decide if he's a face or heel announcer? Sometimes he literally changes mid-match. I think when Swagger attacked Big E tonight in the Cesaro/Big E match, Cole said.. "Swagger may have just cost Cesaro this match." Really? He MAY have? For fuck's sake.

• Like 2

I havent read through this thread yet but I thought this was a really good Raw and the best Raw I've seen since the one after Mania last year. Paul has the biggest balls in all of wrestling, Brock is a fucking beast F5ing Henry through the Spanish Announce table. Everything with Bryan was awesome. the DQ finish was a drag but it further set up his match with Trips. There were some great matches say what you want about the crowd but when htey werent chanting CM Punk and got into matches they really got into them. The Uso's D-Bry Shield and Wyatts did a great job keeping there attention. So did Emma. I really like Cenas promo too and Brays.

Guest Edwin

I don't watch regularly, but from what I can gather, it's a given Punk's going to return at some point in the next couple of weeks.

Pretty good show, the crowd wasn't nearly as much of a factor as hyped which was probably for the best. Hoped the Outlaws would hang on until Mania before losing to the Usos but a cool moment nonetheless. Wyatts/Shield was greatness again and Rollins wild sequence was the best, highlight of the night for sure. Enjoyed all the Bryan/HHH stuff and thought Bryan/Batista was solid, hot finish to the show as well.

re: Daniel Bryan's storyline progression.

In September, RAW's were routinely ending with HHH/Randy Orton beating down Daniel Bryan, who wanted nothing more than to get the World Title back.

Six months later, RAW ends with HHH beating down Daniel Bryan, who now wants nothing more than to face Triple H in a regular one-on-one singles match with nothing of any significance at stake.

EVOLUTION IS A MYSTERY, FULL OF CHANGE THAT NO ONE SEES

• Like 2

On Rusev: Can Lana tone down the accent just a notch? She's crossing the line from the "evil furriner" gimmick to "big trouble for Moose and Squirrel".

So, evil furrier.

GET THE N OUT@!!!

Something, something HER beaver pelt.

I'm useless unless it's horse jokes.