DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-3-14 - Raw in Chicago

MGFanJay

The easiest way to get people invested in a random Sheamus v Christian match is to give said match a purpose.

Show Sheamus backstage getting a coffee, Christian bumps into him by mistake and spills the coffee. Sheamus seeks revenge and compensation for the time it took him to make the coffee.

Another one could be that Sheamus and Ziggler got signed to a Japanese shampoo commercial that both Christian and Del Rio were auditioning for.

Boom, instant reason for jealousy aside from "Me heel, you baby face."

It was good enough for Mania before, its good enough again.

• Like 1

Maybe the problem with the two is that their current characters, best I can tell, are "babyface" and "heel."  Sometimes WWE forgets with their lower card guys that those aren't characters.  I have no reason to see Sheamus as a babyface other than the fact that Christian wrestles like a heel.  And so I have no reason to care that he's attacking Sheamus.  And no investment in their match other than it might be a "perfectly okay wrestling match."

If Sheamus wins/loses it means nothing other than "perfectly okay wrestler 1" got over temporarily on "perfectly okay wrestler 2" until Friday when "Perfectly okay wrestler 2" gets over on "perfectly okay wrestler 1."

Either one of them could compensate for the lack of written drama by being more interesting in their actual match work, or being more charismatic in the little bit of time they get to sell me on the match.  It's not easy to do...but that's the trick and they can't turn it.  Sheamus seems to have settled on his character and shows neither the inclination nor the ability to do much more than what he's done.  Hokey story, I'm a good-time funfella.  It's fucking dull, dude. 

Look, man, I have 17 Halloween Havocs at my fingertips now.  That's what they're competing with and that's just the start of it.  Last night I watched a match with a guy named Goldie Rogers...Goldie Fucking Rogers...and he was so much more fun to watch than Sheamus.  It was the very definition of "a perfectly okay wrestling match" and I'm sure by board standards was much less so than Christian/Sheamus...but it also had GOLDIE FUCKING ROGERS creating a character that was interesting and funny out of literally nothing.

• Like 2

Christian was better in TNA than he has been since he returned to WWE.

You are a madman

Christian was at a point in his career were people felt he should have been in the main event scene of WWE, but just wasn't givent the chance. He went to TNA and proved that he can have the big matches with the big match feel. If I had to put Cage's ECW run vs. his TNA run, I'd have to go with his TNA work. He has more fire in his matches and they came off as less mechnical during his TNA run. Granted, I am sure that had a lot to do with how TNA runs their show and what they allow their wrestlers to do.

Later, I would like to do a side-by-side of Christian's best ECW matches and pit them against his best TNA matches and see which list holds up in 2014.

The easiest way to get people invested in a random Sheamus v Christian match is to give said match a purpose.

Show Sheamus backstage getting a coffee, Christian bumps into him by mistake and spills the coffee. Sheamus seeks revenge and compensation for the time it took him to make the coffee.

Another one could be that Sheamus and Ziggler got signed to a Japanese shampoo commercial that both Christian and Del Rio were auditioning for.

Except the match and feud does stem from something specific and purposeful: Sheamus accidentally hit Christian in a tag match leading up to EC. Christian believed it to be intentional and felt slighted and has since decided to try and take escalating steps toward revenge culminating in a vicious and unprovoked back stage attack. It's a storyline based out of in ring action backed up by simple, black and white character work. The story is do basic that even Cole and Lawler were able to articulate it on Monday. It doesn't need a prop or anything, it has worked on its own literally thousands of times for decades now. Again, this sort of storytelling is what people would claim they want more of if you polled the same audience that wouldn't give the match the time of day a few nights ago.

• Like 1

Except the match and feud does stem from something specific and purposeful: Sheamus accidentally hit Christian in a tag match leading up to EC. Christian believed it to be intentional and felt slighted and has since decided to try and take escalating steps toward revenge culminating in a vicious and unprovoked back stage attack. It's a storyline based out of in ring action backed up by simple, black and white character work. The story is do basic that even Cole and Lawler were able to articulate it on Monday. It doesn't need a prop or anything, it has worked on its own literally thousands of times for decades now. Again, this sort of storytelling is what people would claim they want more of if you polled the same audience that wouldn't give the match the time of day a few nights ago.
Exactly, and add in Christian mentioned that another reason he's mad at Sheamus because they both came back from injury at the same time and Sheamus overshadowed him. It's classic heel reasoning.

Most of that happened on Smackdown, so you can understand why people are forgetting about it.

I just think Sheamus and Christian aren't guys you should be booing if your whole point is that you want a better show.

Which male wrestlers in an actual match should they have been booing that night?

That night? No-one really. If I was trying to influence the crowd, I'd have got everyone singing "SHIT BILLY GUNN, YOU'RE JUST A SHIT BILLY GUNN" at Ziggler but that manifesto specifically said they love Ziggler and everyone should stand up for him or something equally lame.

If I was trying to influence the crowd and legitimately hijack the show, my goal would be to make the show virtually unwatchable.  I'd try to ruin the best parts of the show, not try to make my voice heard on the worst parts.  I'd have made a list of some really vile and obscene stuff to chant at half the roster with the intention of making people uncomfortable and ashamed of watching.  I'd make it so that people in Chicago would regret bringing their kids and would think twice about bringing their kids to a future show.  This effort was so weak that it would have been improved if they'd gone into the show as a bunch of internet geeks cosplaying Occupy Wall Street.

• Like 1

Most of that happened on Smackdown, so you can understand why people are forgetting about it.

Joking aside, that drives me nuts when people ACTUALLY say "Oh well, it happened on a show I didn't watch so I'm still right about bitching about not knowing the story."

If Days of Our Lives aired twice a week and you only watched one , you'd be considered insane if you bitched about not knowing about stuff that was on the show you didn't watch.

Reading through this thread, and I'm absolutely shocked at how many people actually sat through a Sheamus/Christian match.

I don't doubt that the Orton/Batista match will in all likelihood be an atrocity, but I'd like to think that I at least have the ability to go in with an open mind and allow two guys who have previous done good work a chance to put on a good show. I don't think they will get that from the live crowd, no matter what sort of match they are able to work.

Evolution ruined WWE for years, it made me not look forward to seeing my GOAT Ric Flair, and I could give a rat's ass what Orton and Batista are up to these days, I will join in whatever idiotic chant turns their match into a ridiculous spectacle in New Orleans.  I don't care to see these two Kroll Show rejects do anything, ever.  I made up my mind about then in 2003, and it's far too late to do anything about it.  Outside of maybe a huge gimmick change.  Like, growing out big blond mullets, putting them in tassled pants and turning them into the new Rockers kind of gimmick change.  I'd not fast forward that.  I guess they could have a good match in the same way that Nickelback can play shitty songs with technical proficiency, but that's nothing I care to find out.

Personally, I thought the Punk chants and the crowd and all that were fun, but it's not like the WWE wasn't pandering to them.  HHH's promo to Bryan, where he was essentially also calling out Punk and the entire crowd for being whiny entitled Millennial 99%ers, was fantastic.  DB beating the shit out of everyone there at the end was great, too. 

As for Punk being a dickhead IRL~AFK~OMG!!!, I think it's kind of funny when a guy reaches that Morrissey level of being a huge dick but beloved by millions.  Or probably just thousands, in this case.  Good for him, and I'm sure he'll be back before long. 

I wish they were going with a gimmick match for Shield/Wyatts and would hold off until summer for the Shield break-up, but it could be worse.

My biggest fear for Cesaro is that they're going to keep Dutch with Jack Useless and try to turn him into a star with no one to work the mic for him.  He's never going to stick past the mid-card without a mouthpiece. 

I'm not nearly as down on the WM card as most people.  Some good changing-of-the-guard stuff going on.  I'd honestly rather keep Bryan out of any Orton/Batista garbage and have him work with Trips for the big show.  A win over either of those guys isn't going to mean that much and will put a damper on Bryan finally getting the title, anyway, so if WWE is finally going to pull the trigger, they might as well have him win it soon after at a smaller event and start building a good Summer Slam feud around the strap. 

It wasn't even a few weeks ago. It's the epitome of creative having nothing better for a couple wrestlers and they just keep sticking them out there hoping it will forward along a feud or storyline and it's lazy as hell. The match itself was fairly by the numbers, not bad, but also not that good. It reminds me of what they were doing with Cesaro as US champ with just running him out there against ADR or Orton every goddamn night with no real feud or anything.

The main problem with Sheamus/Christian is that Sheamus already beat Christian cleanly and decisively a few weeks ago. He proved that he's the better man. By all rights, this feud should be over.

But Christian attacked him after that match, so that means Sheamus needs revenge. Plus, Christian eliminated him at Elimination Chamber. There was reasons for them to keep fighting.

• Like 2

The main problem with Sheamus/Christian is that Sheamus already beat Christian cleanly and decisively a few weeks ago. He proved that he's the better man. By all rights, this feud should be over.

But Christian attacked him after that match, so that means Sheamus needs revenge. Plus, Christian eliminated him at Elimination Chamber. There was reasons for them to keep fighting.

Maybe they should have mixed things up with a Mysterio-Christian match or tossed out a random William Regal appearance against Sheamus, with a run-in by the other guy.

If I was trying to influence the crowd and legitimately hijack the show, my goal would be to make the show virtually unwatchable.  I'd try to ruin the best parts of the show, not try to make my voice heard on the worst parts.  I'd have made a list of some really vile and obscene stuff to chant at half the roster with the intention of making people uncomfortable and ashamed of watching. 

No need they are accomplishing that already. They are adults that idolize other adults and want to hijack a kids show. What is odd is people treating this like it is normal adult behavior. People doing it would be the first ones to mock someone that shows up at icecapades chanting for Brian Boitano.

• Like 2

Christian was better in TNA than he has been since he returned to WWE.

You are a madman

Christian was at a point in his career were people felt he should have been in the main event scene of WWE, but just wasn't givent the chance. He went to TNA and proved that he can have the big matches with the big match feel. If I had to put Cage's ECW run vs. his TNA run, I'd have to go with his TNA work. He has more fire in his matches and they came off as less mechnical during his TNA run. Granted, I am sure that had a lot to do with how TNA runs their show and what they allow their wrestlers to do.

Later, I would like to do a side-by-side of Christian's best ECW matches and pit them against his best TNA matches and see which list holds up in 2014.

I'd love to get in on this. Dude dragged a decent match out of Abyss, FFS.