DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-3-14 - Raw in Chicago

MGFanJay

It would be nice if someone could say why it was bad without that old go to "It was boring." 

I don't think most are saying it was "bad" necessarily, just that both characters are so stagnant right now that nobody has any reason to care about who wins or what happens in the match.

Sheamus hasn't had an angle of interest since I started watching again in 2011 - and if someone wants to debate that, please do, as I legitimately can't recall a single thing he's done outside the ring worth watching since.

Christian is on his last legs as a character and worker, and his ceiling was not all that high to begin with. The "one more match" thing might be more interesting if anyone thought he had a snowball's chance in hell of getting anywhere near the main title again, but that is not the case.

It's apparent to people watching that these two have been thrown together because there's just not room for them anywhere else - and it shows with the booking of the feud. Cole said on Monday that Christian's reasoning for having beef with Sheamus is that he's going for the same title as him - pretty weak by WWE standards, especially considering that these two are likely to get a Wrestlemania match out of it.

I think the crowd turning on them, other than the length of the match, had a lot to do with just that - these two are getting Wrestlemania time, and for what? They haven't done anything of note (other than yes, have technically sound matches in the ring, which we all know is only part of the equation in WWE) for years and walked off the disabled list and into spots in the Elimination Chamber.

Take a look at some of the notable new and/or popular people that will possibly not be on the card for whatever reason: Punk. Henry. Dolph. Goldust and Cody. Harper and Rowan. Big E. Sandow. Fandango. But we get another Sheamus-Christian match? That sucks, and the crowds are getting tired of it.

• Like 1

If you would rather see Sandow than either of them, we can't be friends.

Sad day, but there is at least one recent outside-the-ring happening involving Sandow that I enjoyed (the briefcase business with Cody on Smackdown last summer). I noticed you couldn't say the same for Sheamus.

Christian vs. Sheamus was a good match. They were collateral damage from a crowd that wanted to see its hometown hero come back. I keep hearing that this is supposed to be a smart crowd... hahahah, Chicago crowds suck blah blah blah. The atmosphere for Money In the Bank 2011 was amazing. The atmosphere for Extreme Rules 2012 was amazing. The crowd enhanced those shows and matches and Chicago is at least a town that will give you a great atmosphere that WWE can only get for about 1/10th of their shows. Just two weeks ago, we were bitching about the horrible RAW crowd and how they hurt the show (was it Omaha?). No, this is a crowd rejecting something they perceive as filler. They didn't treat the Shield vs. Wyatts like this because it wasn't presented as filler. They didn't give the response to Lesnar-Mark Henry. It wasn't presented as filler. They didn't treat the title change like filler. I am curious if Alberto vs. Ziggler would have gone longer if it would have been shit on also. It was a pretty short match so maybe the backlash had no time to gain that type of traction. I am looking forward to SD! on Friday but it reads like a show designed to kill time. 

The whole thing could be solved with one single booking decision...

Make Daniel Bryan champion for more than a 24 hour period. Give the fans what they want instead of what you want to give them. 

• Like 1

Make Daniel Bryan champion for more than a 24 hour period. Give the fans what they want instead of what you want to give them. 

Does it count if he wins the title on Raw and loses it back on Smackdown?  Are we going by when it was taped or when it airs?

As far as I can tell, no. He thinks the fans not going along with the WWE creative direction are douches. 

I have no problem with that. This whole "fuck you, give us Daniel Bryan" run has been tremendous. I just don't think shitting on a match is fair unless it's terrible.

He got ready for the ECW run in TNA. He really learned how to be a main event player in TNA. But outside of ECW, he was never going to get a real chance. 

Even his heel run had him playing the Honky Tonk Man instead of Randy Savage. 

As far as I can tell, no. He thinks the fans not going along with the WWE creative direction are douches. 

I have no problem with that. This whole "fuck you, give us Daniel Bryan" run has been tremendous. I just don't think shitting on a match is fair unless it's terrible.

The Orton-Cena match at Rumble wasn't horrible if you watch it with the sound off. It just wasn't what the crowd wanted to see. 

I wasn't surprised with the Orton/Cena reaction because we've seen crowds in the past who were sick of Cena and it's two guys who have been on top for a decade. Sheamus and Christian have never really been on top. I guess Sheamus had his stint as Cena Lite but Christian has always been a midcard/upper midcard guy. It was a decent match but I can also see if someone said it was filler. Still, it's not really fair to those two. Them being causalities because Punk walked out... I didn't like it. I think I would understand where the crowd was coming from more if Punk had been fired. He decided to leave the company, how is it WWE's fault for him not being there..

The Orton-Cena match at Rumble wasn't horrible if you watch it with the sound off. It just wasn't what the crowd wanted to see. 

I see what you're trying to do, and it is a valid point. Problem is those two are 10-year main eventers who have wrestled each other a bunch and had wrestled in a TLC match a few weeks before. I get why people don't want to see it, even if I don't agree. I just think Sheamus and Christian aren't guys you should be booing if your whole point is that you want a better show.

If you would rather see Sandow than either of them, we can't be friends.

Sad day, but there is at least one recent outside-the-ring happening involving Sandow that I enjoyed (the briefcase business with Cody on Smackdown last summer). I noticed you couldn't say the same for Sheamus.

One: that sucked and was horrible.

Two: Mark Henry beating Sheamus with a belt.

I just think Sheamus and Christian aren't guys you should be booing if your whole point is that you want a better show.

Which male wrestlers in an actual match should they have been booing that night?

That night? No-one really. If I was trying to influence the crowd, I'd have got everyone singing "SHIT BILLY GUNN, YOU'RE JUST A SHIT BILLY GUNN" at Ziggler but that manifesto specifically said they love Ziggler and everyone should stand up for him or something equally lame.