DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-3-14 - Raw in Chicago

MGFanJay

No I mean that crowd on that night gave The Shield and the Wyatt's a pass they didn't give Christian and Sheamus

Dude, you are missing the point. Christian and Sheamus should not have been paired up on this night. As Johnny Srrow said, the Shield and Wyatts got a pass because "they're new, engaging, have great gimmicks, and work hard". Christian and Sheamus only have that last part down.

It sucks that the crowd looks at Sheamus as the guy who was shoved down our throat before he was ready and Christian as the guy who has hung around for the last 15 years. You throw on Christian vs. Ziggler or maybe Sheamus vs. Ziggler or something and they don't get shit on.

This is more about your anti-Punk / anti-Chicago gimmick than it is about the actual crowd. 

This is beautiful man.

You can say its because they're boring but aren't you supposed to appreciate good wrestling in a vacuum?

All WWE fans appreciate good wrestling in a vacuum or they would have stopped watching years ago.  It's why Cesaro is getting over even though he is only just becoming storyline relevant.  The show is full of good wrestling

Being the 10th best wrestler on the card is an accomplishment because the roster is so stacked, but it doesn't mean the crowds will love you because you are competing for screen time with the other 9 guys who are better.  You can get over on good matches in a vacuum, but you can't stay over that way.  It takes more than that.  You can't say FELLA and I LOVE TO FIGHT for 4 years straight and still get the desired reaction unless you are an otherworldly talent like Bryan (which is still annoying, but I'll save that for March Madness).  Either the performer or creative need to change it up.  Blaming the fans for not caring is missing the forest for the trees.

It's certainly popular with the people, my like ratio has increased significantly.

But my point is that good wrestling is good wrestling and I don't understand why a crowd that was mad at WWE for Punk leaving would shit on two perfectly talented guys working a decent match. You can say its because they're boring but aren't you supposed to appreciate good wrestling in a vacuum?

It was a shit thing to do. Especially since both guys have been good for a long time.

Both guys haven't been good for a long time. Sheamus has been boring for a long time and needs to ditch the Smilin' Sheamus routine. Christian has been treading water for who knows how long. And these two guys JUST wrestled each other on the previous Raw or SmackDown! They're just two directionless dudes. Your "theory" would hold any kind of water if the crowd shit over other matches, but honestly, I think they were just really into the show. It's certainly far less insulting than everyone humming the Fandango theme.

Especially when it was a perfectly serviceable match.  "End this match" chants are fine for stuff like Bossman/Snow, The Ascension or an Eva Marie match, but Sheamus/Christian is a fine timefiller.  Would they rather HHH get more mic time instead?

Chanting "end this match" is a hell of a lot worse than singing a song.

So derailing a match and constantly disrespecting both guys from the very start of the match is worse than fans at one point chanting "end this match" for a match that was already run once on 2-21, again on 2-24, and again on 3-3. Fuck that, man.

So derailing a match and constantly disrespecting both guys from the very start of the match is worse than fans at one point chanting "end this match" for a match that was already run once on 2-21, again on 2-24, and again on 3-3. Fuck that, man.

They're both derailing the match. One is a catchy song people were singing because it was catchy, another is "get out of the ring we don't want to see you"

They're both derailing the match. One is a catchy song people were singing because it was catchy, another is "get out of the ring we don't want to see you"

So, they should figure out a way to control the crowd. They should do something out-of-character like a table bump or usage of a chair or fight in the crowd. What did Sheamus and Christian do to make the crowd want to see that match? Not a thing. That's on them. It's their job to control the crowd. Instead, they chose to ignore it.

The first Sheamus/Christian match on SD before the Chamber was tremendous. Their other matches have been fine, but it's pretty obvious they're stuck in "we have no idea what to do with these guys, so let's just have them fight every week" booking that helps no one. Christian's desperation character has no direction post-chamber and Sheamus hasn't had a motive for anything since he's been back. I know I've suggested it before, but Sheamus and Cesaro need to work an angle that results in a double turn at Mania. Christian just needs to get a hold of a midcard title so he has an excuse to wrestle every week.

On a different front, I was thinking about Batista/Bryan (which brought me back to Batista/ADR at EC), and has anyone else noticed how little Batista moves in the ring these days? He was never a sprinter or anything, but he used to hit the ropes and be able to string a few moves together. Nowadays he just lays around literally in one spot while his opponent has to work around him for minutes at a time. When they do move to a different spot in the ring, there is always a noticeable rest period after.

Aren't you the guy who hates the Outlaws specifically because they do something that controls the crowd?

I love what they did on Raw. They heeled it up and it was great. I'll give credit when it's deserving. They heeled up on the crowd by not doing their material and it worked. That was controlling the crowd.

Their normal shtick isn't controlling the crowd. It's spewing catchphrases before a match. It's so uninteresting and boring. If they do it when working as faces it at least gets the crowd on their side. I think it's dumb but people like Nickleback and Ricky Gervais. Some people have bad taste, but I can live with that. But when to do that stuff as heels it doesn't work at all.

But they stooged it up and it was glorious and it gave The Usos a terrific pop, which was the point.

If they want to control the crowd, maybe they shouldn't have their product suck so much.

I'm sure they're rushing to take advice from someone who hate-watched his first episode of Raw in at least 3 months and came out looking like Art Donovan.

• Like 1

No I mean that crowd on that night gave The Shield and the Wyatt's a pass they didn't give Christian and Sheamus

Dude, you are missing the point. Christian and Sheamus should not have been paired up on this night. As Johnny Srrow said, the Shield and Wyatts got a pass because "they're new, engaging, have great gimmicks, and work hard". Christian and Sheamus only have that last part down.

It sucks that the crowd looks at Sheamus as the guy who was shoved down our throat before he was ready and Christian as the guy who has hung around for the last 15 years. You throw on Christian vs. Ziggler or maybe Sheamus vs. Ziggler or something and they don't get shit on.

This is more about your anti-Punk / anti-Chicago gimmick than it is about the actual crowd. 

They used Ziggler in a different match.  So, what match should they have run using guys who didn't wrestle in any of the other of that night's matches?

Maybe the should have trotted out Christian/Titus O'Neal vs Sheamus/Darren Young.  Would the fans have shut up for some Titus vs Sheamus power spots?

3 months? More like 3 years. But it doesn't take a PhD in rocket scientry to realize that a live crowd responds directly to the product that's being presented to them. And you can't say that it was just a Chicago thing, when from all accounts these anxious crowds have been happening since Summerslam.

EDIT: Feel honored to have been a part of this spectacular frammy.

Aren't you the guy who hates the Outlaws specifically because they do something that controls the crowd?

I love what they did on Raw. They heeled it up and it was great. I'll give credit when it's deserving. They heeled up on the crowd by not doing their material and it worked. That was controlling the crowd.

Their normal shtick isn't controlling the crowd. It's spewing catchphrases before a match. It's so uninteresting and boring. If they do it when working as faces it at least gets the crowd on their side. I think it's dumb but people like Nickleback and Ricky Gervais. Some people have bad taste, but I can live with that. But when to do that stuff as heels it doesn't work at all.

But they stooged it up and it was glorious and it gave The Usos a terrific pop, which was the point.

When they do the usual stuff the crowd cares. The crowd did not care for Sheamus and Christian. Which side are you taking?

What FSW is getting at is the crowd in Chicago prides itself  on being "aware" and they preach that they want good wrestling. Sheamus/Christian is good wrestling. So when Sheamus/Christian gets shit on it goes against everything they are supposed to stand for.

• Like 2

How many posts have you started with some variation of "I see what FSW is getting at?"  He is making you look bad, FSW.  It's like Big Show doing the Yes! chant.  It's bad for business and you need to put a stop to it.

Edit: Can someone ban him if he says "they" again in that context?

• Like 1

Chicago Raw was hyped up to be some this supershow, with Punk possibly returning, Wyatts-Shield, Batista-Bryan, a Tag-Title match and rumors of Hogan and Undertaker being there. The crowd didn't give a shit about Sheamus-Christian because, while it was a good match, it was glorified filler on an already stacked show.

• Like 1

I think it's dumb but people like Nickleback and Ricky Gervais.

Whoa whoa whoa hold the motherfucking phone...

He doesn't like Gervais because he needs a laugh track to know what's funny.

Well, Cristobal also bolded Nickelback in Gregg's statement, so I assume he is equally offended by the notion that Nickelback sucks.