DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

Also, I am really getting into High On Fire. I have heard songs from Matt's side band Kalas. I was wondering, are any of the songs from his previous band, Sleep, worth checking out?

Are you insane? YouTube Sleep's Dopesmoker and check back in an hour.

This.  Oh so very much this.

Yeah. Like asking if Ozzy's songs with Black Sabbath are worth checking out ;)

And those Mercyful Fate albums are great... but if it's yellow or red vinyl, I don't give a shit how much it weighs - it'll sound like my arse.

What if your arse sounds like Apollo's lyre?

So that was you on curry night!

So, two notable things today:

1.) It's the 4th anniversary of the death of metal's greatest front man, Ronnie James Dio.  Throw up the devil horns, long live rock n roll.

2.) Tim Lambesis, front man for Christian metal/hardcore band As I Lay Dying, was sentenced to six years in prison for attempting to hire a hitman to murder his wife.

Yep, four years. I still remember that day. My best friend, who I was living with at the time, came in my room and told me. I immediately put on Heaven and Hell and bawled my eyes out while he set next to me on my bed, incredulous at my reaction. RIP.

• Like 1

In the spirit of that very personal revelation, this is something I've played several times today. 

Ronnie himself disparaged it as "a drum and guitar exercise". I don't know what he was talking about. That is some of the most vengeful work from Blackmore ever, and it has great vocal harmonies that take up as much of the song as the solos.

• Like 4

Man, you need to get on Stargazer.  Just an amazing track, probably the best non-Black Sabbath metal song of the 70's.

(But Judas Priest put out Stained Class in the late 70's, dude, which is one of the best albums of all-time.  They were probably the best band in the world there for a few years before Maiden and Metallica passed them, and Sabs regrouped with Ronnie and Ozzy started Blizzard.)

• Like 1

Sad Wings of Destiny by Judas Priest is the best album ever recorded by anyone ever. Bar none, bottom line, period. 

Personal preference, I know, but the drama of the Queen-esque balladry mixed with the incredible advancement in metal stylings from the basic Sabbath is great. And I have the greatest emotional attachment to it... just because it's amazing. 

My other top five albums are probably 

Blue Oyster Cult - S/T

King Crimson - Red

The Stooges - Funhouse

Slayer - Hell Awaits

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

okay well that's six too fucking bad

I love how the judges and, like 90% of the audience just have no clue what to make of it.  I wish I understood French just to know what the judges are saying after she's done.

Guest The Magnificent 7

You're in luck because I know some French. 

They said the double bass needed to be tighter and guitars were a bit thin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to Indianapolis to see Eyehategod last night and it was a corker of a show. The boys played amazingly well (and busted out "Serving Time in the Middle of Nowhere", my favorite of their songs along with a sadly missing "Depress"), Mike yelled at the soundman multiple times while Jimmy egged him on which probably got dude fired, I bought their new album and it is waaaaaaaay better than Confederacy of Ruined Lives was IMO, and I got this. 

10474688_894420540585042_223349039886488

Enabler was really good and I guess I guess I forgive them for having a member of Fall Out Boy in their band. Coffinworm was a little boring and I missed the other two bands due to lateness and catching up with people, but that was a hell of a show. If you can catch them on tour with Enabler and Ringworm, do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Enabler was really good and I guess I guess I forgive them for having a member of Fall Out Boy in their band.

I actually don't think he's in the band anymore. If I'm remembering correctly (and there's every chance I'm not) they have a new drummer. They're pretty killer though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

Been listening to some somewhat older stuff lately.  Man I loved this album by Anata and this track in particular...