DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

• 1 month later...

It just rules, and nobody talks about it. 

Also rules and nobody talks about it. If you could make a sandwich with Slayer, Sacrifice, Possessed and early Morbid Angel this would be it. And if you don't like that sandwich, then go down the street and buy a salad at the grocery store bud

These guys took me by surprise today. It's just two guys from Toronto but boy do they rip. In an era where every other death metal band sounds like Incantation, these guys do it right with memorable riffs and hella dynamics. And not a blast beat in sight! I guess their lyrics are about Bloodborne and Dark Souls which is pretty weird though. New album coming soon on 20 Buck Spin. 

Oh, and their demos? Sheeeeeeeeyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...

• 2 weeks later...

A lyric video for an Immortal song is hilarious, but here’s their first post-Abbath output. It sounds like you expect (people who like this sort of thing, etc) but maybe a little better. If this is representative of the album, I’ll like it.

So that is the new Demonaz shit since he finally got over his tendinitis(z)? It's... not bad. Faster than expected. I haven't liked anything they did since At the Heart of Winter but this might hit the sweet spot for somebody wanting some Battles type stuff with better production. 

In other news there is new Gruesome coming out, for anyone wanting some more early Death worship. Video is most definitely NSFW (even though I watched it at work haha)

• 3 weeks later...

It took me probably over 20 years, but I finally purchased a copy of Into the Pandemonium. I've worshipped Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion forever, but resisted even listening to Pandemonium for ages. A year or two ago I finally compiled a CDR of it (making my own tracklist, since Tom banished "Sorrows of the Moon" to the second disc on the re-release) and was pretty much in awe. Now It's finally here on vinyl and it's one of those albums I just can't stop playing. Thoughts? 

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It took me probably over 20 years, but I finally purchased a copy of Into the Pandemonium. I've worshipped Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion forever, but resisted even listening to Pandemonium for ages. A year or two ago I finally compiled a CDR of it (making my own tracklist, since Tom banished "Sorrows of the Moon" to the second disc on the re-release) and was pretty much in awe. Now It's finally here on vinyl and it's one of those albums I just can't stop playing. Thoughts? 

It's weird for me to read that it's finally on vinyl when I thought I beat the shit out of that record 30+ years ago.

Not knowing that Mexican Radio was THAT Mexican Radio was so trippy when the I dropped the needle on it for the 1st time.

Yeah, Noise Records FINALLY re-released their back catalogue on vinyl and digital for absurd prices -- Voivod, Frost, Helloween, Kreator, and Running Wild were the first, but there's been limited presses of Deathrow and Tankard too. They'll get around to everything eventually/hopefully.

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2018 at 1:09 PM, Curt McGirt said:

It just rules, and nobody talks about it.

I know.  Up until recently I never even knew they put this album out.  Last thing I remembered from them before Udo left the band was the vomit inducing video for Midnight Mover from the Metal Heart album.  But then they released this and toured with Dio that year.  I wound up seeing them  in 1989 opening for WASP when they hired an American poofy haired singer.  Met them outside MuchMusic in Toronto.  Great guys they chatted for a bit but dressed in full leather in the middle of July.  Not a wise choice

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just came in here to post about that. Right now I don't really have the words, Mark's music meant the world to me and I'll leave it at that right now. This is one of the greatest albums ever recorded so I leave it here in memory. Rest in peace, friend. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been listening to Teitanblood a little bit recently and came across a great review of theirs on Encyclopedia Metallum. Granted, it isn't necessarily positive one, but one that struck me after revisiting their Death album which to me came across as a convoluted mess (note: I like Teitanblood and have Seven Chalices on vinyl). This is a review of their Purging Tongues EP:

The Black/Death genre has seen a serious uptick in the number of bands in recent years and the quality of output has been varied. A fan reaches one of those inflection points in life where he is bombarded with tons of releases and then he/she suddenly realizes that a reality check is in order. The realization that follows is a result of experience and not something that happens overnight. Some get it and some don’t for the rest of their lives. The zeal to question is probably the most important trait that an extreme metal fan must have after the ability to understand the music . Its here I make this connection with Black/Death and whatever I write I remain within the confines of this genre. Its very easy to get swayed away by the present – new bands, new crushing recordings, raw-ness and chaos; all packaged and marketed to a section of fans who worship these bands/albums and a flimsy production that is supposed to be true and cult. This belief in my strong opinion stems from three facts – 1. A lack of exposure to the past and 2. A lack of interest about the past and, 3. Not enough time spent listening to and absorbing the past; all amplified by a castrated sense of questioning or a complete lack of it.

Teitanblood is one of the most popular bands in the genre, and starting with their first full length – Seven Chalices these guys from Spain have been making quite a bit of noise in the last few years. Purging Tongues is one of their EPs and the best way to describe it is that its a raw and chaotic form of black/death in line with bands like Proclamation, Revenge and Conquerer. I don’t know Spanish so I will not be able to comment on the passages within the EP. I’m guessing it plays a part in communicating the full nature of the album, so I’ll stick to the music. What is the band trying to achieve when it uses riffs that a seasoned listener with one foot firmly entrenched in the past would have grown up with? What is the x-factor? Why operate under the guise of a production that muffles more rather than showcase riffs? The template is pretty basic; raw and chaotic riffing with a production akin to a bootleg/demo from the early 80s. If that’s the novelty factor under the operating motto of “true and cult” then that’s the most flimsy excuse that a fan can hope to hear. Even if I assume that Purging Tongues is trying to pay some sort of tribute to the demo scene back in the 80s and 90s its relevance is completely lost in the modern era. Youtube is responsible for digging up lots of demos and exposing them to the modern generation and that’s good. But, whats troubling is accepting any demo that is being thrown at the listener. On that line, whats even more damning is the fact of acceptance of Teitanblood without any sense of questioning and curiosity as to how it compares to its peers – past and present; and that is dangerous to the extreme metal scene. That’s the same sort of thinking associated with pop music. 

The music that Teitanblood created in Purging Tongues is not to question their workmanship, ethics and integrity, but its meant to be a reality check for fans who don’t ask why and what for? Listeners can pick up their recent album - Death, where the band actually is in great form, but this, no.

Also contributed to metalbase.in.

I think it's a fair critical response to subgenres that can be overwhelmed by uniformity, glut, and always trying to "out-hard" everyone else. 

That said, here's some more King Diamond! The disco beat in "Devil Eyes" always gets me. (Put in spoiler tags for the prudes/job fearful)

• Like 1