DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

I like "Odin's Ride/A Fine Day to Die" and "Blood Fire Death" a lot as far as the black end of Bathory goes.

This is great too and has both harmonic and growly parts and is generally good fantasy nonsense. He is not really a technically proficient singer, but there is something really genuine about the guy I like very much, as someone who honestly has a very weak singing voice myself. I appreciate his sincerity.

I'm sure I'll be hearing that soon enough when my buddy Greg picks it up on vinyl

Meanwhile, in my personal quest to own all of what I consider the essential Earache releases on vinyl, not only did I just snag Morbid Angel - Covenant off of Discogs but THIS just got re-released too.

Would you not want to buy that just based off of album art ALONE?!

Now if the bastards would just put out Symphonies of Sickness again... (well, okay, I could go for Warmaster or maybe the Electro Hippies record but that's stretching it)

On 11/1/2017 at 8:47 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I've been meaning to give Hammerheart a second chance for a couple years now. Twilight of the Gods really burned me back in the day and I never gave the Viking era much of an ear because of that. 

Hammerheart is SO AWESOME. Twilight of the Gods is good, too, but man, Hammerheart is the shit. Skip straight to "Baptized in Fire and Ice" and you'll be loining and swording in no time. 

• 2 weeks later...

This (along with the Evil record above) came in this morning 

It cost me a pretty penny on Discogs but was totally worth it. If you don't know anything about these guys look 'em up. I actually saw the twin brothers turning a corner in Wicker Park in Chicago; my immediate reaction was to say "HARDROCK BRODERNA" and give them the horns. They played later that night, I was pretty trashed and yelled for "Into the Morbid Black" most of the set and Hellbutcher finally said "we're gonna play this, but we're probably gonna fuck it up" and kicked into it. They fucked it up. 

• 2 weeks later...

How this one has escaped me so far, I've no clue. Think Blasphemy and Autopsy getting together and making an album in a mausoleum at Ross Bay Cemetery and you've about got it. Yosuke of NWN! Productions once again outdoes himself in putting out the sickest shit. 

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, that’s what I was going for. Going back to the Hell trilogy of EPs, I’m not quite as in love as I am with the full length, with the exception of ”Decedere” which is downright transcendent.

• Thanks 1

It cost me thirty bones but this LP was my personal Xmas gift. It got so much play in the ride this year, perfect driving music. Incredibly sick, totally Satanic (which is somewhat of a first for them, almost a concept album), and heavier than anything else out there. Met their guitarist Eisen who flew over from Germany (!) to see two nights of Autopsy in Chicago and the dude was super cool, too.

• 4 weeks later...

This year's opened up with a couple good ones. I got on an Accept kick because a buddy of mine in Texas ALMOST snagged me copies of Restless and Wild and Breaker for like five bucks total but they were gone when he went back to the record store so went on Discogs and spent a bit on grabbing those two and Metal Heart. Then I went on Sorry State Records and found out High Roller finally re-released this so grabbed it immediately (and of course it's gone already). 

Nice 2LP with the singles on the second record, cardboard booklet with liner notes and gatefold with lyrics. Worth the purchase if you can find it. 

520311.jpg?2556

https://christianmistress.bandcamp.com/album/to-your-death

Though they've been hyped to me for a long time, and I've even given a listen to their first album, for some reason this band fell through the cracks on me... which it shouldn't have. After listening to this I'm sold. Strong female vocals, awesomely classic heavy metal riffs and harmonies, and a fantastic bass player that anchors everything with all the weight he has. Great stuff. Three of them are also in Quayde LaHue who are also some pretty awesome NWOBHM/trad. metal/metal rock stuff. Check it! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2018 at 12:11 AM, Curt McGirt said:

520311.jpg?2556

https://christianmistress.bandcamp.com/album/to-your-death

Though they've been hyped to me for a long time, and I've even given a listen to their first album, for some reason this band fell through the cracks on me... which it shouldn't have. After listening to this I'm sold. Strong female vocals, awesomely classic heavy metal riffs and harmonies, and a fantastic bass player that anchors everything with all the weight he has. Great stuff. Three of them are also in Quayde LaHue who are also some pretty awesome NWOBHM/trad. metal/metal rock stuff. Check it! 

I am not really up on the current metal scene. But I have to say this is a damn fine name for a band. 

"And lo, as the Metal Gods recognize your dedication to the Heavy Metal Way, we bestow upon you a great gift and badge of honor for yay it is the Day of Valentine and you have one not: HERE is a vinyl copy of BATTLE HYMNS by the Metal Gods MANOWAR. Enjoy, prosper, and continue to bestow the love of Heavy Metal to all!"

Too bad the Metal Gods decided to send this fucker to five different cities before mine, including far out of state when the seller was IN STATE...