DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

First off:

1. Why does USPS always give me two or more packages at once, though they're from disparate shores? 

2. Why am I sick with yet ANOTHER nasal infection when a bunch of records come in? At least it's during the weekend... again.

Anyway, I'm trying to hear through my plugged eustachian tubes a couple of records. Sarcofago - Rotting came in from Hell's Headbangers with the damage of a couple skips on the last song, so no harm no foul, they took five bucks off of the price. Then I got in a package from High Spirits Mike who dropped an extra on me with Hadez - Aquellare which I remember nobody but me and him liking when we were younger, living closer, and less drunk. But the crown jewel so far right now is the finale to a kind of hit-or-miss album with the worst album cover ever, which HHR decided to make an ENORMOUS poster of, like anyone would want to put it on their wall. A friend remarked that it looked like a 12 year old drew it. However, this is still the best 

On Saturday, February 04, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Got the first two Ozzy solo records and a vintage copy of Dio Intermission on vinyl this week, with a few non-metal platers as well.

Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman are still two of my favorite albums. God bless Randy Rhoads.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman are still two of my favorite albums. God bless Randy Rhoads.

Sabs breaking up in '79 was the best possible thing. Dio joining them for H&H and Mob Rules, Ozzy getting Randy and company and putting out Blizzard and Diary... Fucking hell man.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing that Omen's first three albums just got rereleased on wax, I had to burn copies to amp myself up to buy the album above (and because I'd never heard The Curse). Do yourself a favor and listen to Battle Cry at the very least; it's one of the best US traditional/power metal albums ever, catchy as hell and redolent with class. Unlike its cover, which is up there with Attacker, the first Fates Warning and Witch Cross in the "my 12-year old nephew drew this for us, check it out!" realm of quality. 

• 1 month later...

It's not as good as the last one (and I somewhat fear a total wimp-out) but there are some really good songs there, especially that one which is the stand-out to me. They might have hit their sweet spot in between the first album and this one but I still like it. 

• 1 month later...

New month, new metal. This just came in the mail from Dark Descent Records (who do some really sweet reissues and new stuff too). Imagine Sabbath playing death metal and you pretty much nail this one. They started as Carcass-worshipping gore grinders and ended up playing pop rock, if you can believe that! 

EDIT: This is totally what the post-Necroticism Carcass records should have sounded like

Whoa, that is NUTS. I balked when I saw it was 12 minutes but I'm sucked in right now. 

What's up with the dude on the far right's face? Birth defects? 

I should also add: Crim fans, that is for you

And I should also add: Hawkwind fans, that is for you too

• 1 month later...

I don't get a final season of Metalocalypse or a new Dethklok album, but this will have to do. Galaktikon II. On the first one he used his clean voice. He doesn't on here. He sounds like Nathan Explosion. So, it's basically a new Dethklok album which makes me extremely happy.

On 7/17/2017 at 7:13 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I'm at s Lamb of God concert, how's your night?

I ate a pizza. About the same.

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS. Me and my friend Eric took a trek down to Carbondale, IL (otherwise known as Car-bon-da-lay), one of my old stomping grounds, to see Bible of the Devil and High Spirits and the shit was LIT. The last metal gig I went to was Saint Vitus/The Skull last October and this was right up there with it, and that's saying something. If you want some high energy rock'n'roll, then you need to look into these two modern legends. 

• 5 weeks later...

Been awhile, so here's the new pickups I got from 20 Buck Spin. 

Since Nifelheim is still sitting on their hands I thought this'll do until they put something else out. Really catchy, insane Marald art, solos all over the place. And that name! 

The heaviest. This is the soundtrack to sinking in quicksand. They also use some clean guitar in the Autopsy manner to good effect. 

A classic, the first  band to mix progressive influences with death metal. RIP Roger Patterson

I also really wanted to snag this and it's already gone from the website 

If it's got art by the infamous ROK of Sadistik Exekution then you know it's gotta be good

Seeing all the images on those albums reminds me of Jello Biafra's critique of metal in a DK's song (think it was "Chickenshit Conformists"): "Is Satan all you can think of?"

• Like 1

1. "Chickenshit Conformist" is one of the great DKs songs and has some of the best lyrics they ever wrote... ironically on the album where they were most conforming musically to the tail end of the initial hardcore boom

2. There is nary a mention of our Dark Lord and Master in the Undergang lyrics (well maybe, they're all in Dutch so I dunno) or in the Atheist record

3. Hail Satan :D

4. Since I got Piece of Time I HAD to grab Unquestionable Presence from Reckless Records in Chicago. I challenge ANYONE to listen to this and not have your jaw drop. 

Told my best buddy about it last time I was at his place and we put "Mother Man" on; he accused me of holding out on him for never telling him about the band in the first minute or so haha. I think his next response was "this is some Converge shit"

Oh, and I'm well aware of Necrot, who incidentally lended Undergang their gear to record that LP. Tankcrimes is a super cool label and I'll check out pretty much anything they put out. I've got Blood Offerings on CDR somewhere around here I think...

EDIT: Yep, found it on the computer. Guess it kinda fell through the cracks. I remember liking their first release a lot and this one is solid too, not spectacular but perfectly fine. Love the guitar trills

• Like 1