DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

Another German tale: I got in touch with Volker from Merciless Records via Discogs to grab this re-release from him but he said "it's coming to America, just wait" due to the cost involved in purchasing a single album overseas. So, I waited, and thanks to Hell's Headbangers I have coming to me one of the greatest death metal albums of all time. This is pure evil. Happy fuckin' Easter! 

• 2 weeks later...

If I had seen that last night I would've posted it. I was busy trying to find a vinyl copy online and managed to (hopefully) snag one from Discogs. It's already paid for, so...

And of course I've already heard it and it's incredible. "Stormbringer" was so good it brought me to tears.

• Like 1

I would normally post this in the Network conversation thread but this fits better here.  On WWE Network they did a sit down interview with HHH and Lemmy.  And the crazy thing was this interview was filmed two months before he died.  But while Lemmy's hand would shake while taking a drink he didn't seem in bad shape at the time all things considered.  The discussion was of course about how HHH worked with them but a very sizable chunk of it is Lemmy talking about Motorhead and the music scene.  If you have the network I would highly recommend it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well, his cancer was only diagnosed two days prior to his death. The doc gave him 2-6 months. I might disagree with the condition he looked in though; watching the Clean Your Clock live video is impossible for me due to the state he looks. 

He definitely saw better days physically but sure seemed to be in good spirits. Thinking back  I'm sure on rewatch there's more things that I didn't pick up on at the time. And for all I know seeing it again may bum me out. But despite how he was feeling he was smiling and cracking jokes best he could and I couldn't help but smile with him. I may not be a big Motorhead fan but I sure do appreciate Lemmy. 

• Like 1

Here's a bit of it

He's definitely in that stage, with the sunken features. It's just hard for me as a fan to see him like that, having seen him as far more robust for years and years. 

The man was superhuman, though. He had a stint or something placed in, had hypertension and diabetes, and only slowed down from two packs a day to one a week... and kept using drugs and drinking. And by drugs, I mean meth. They won't make any like him again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Random question perhaps, but are there any metal magazines that produce digital copies that you can buy online? I used to read Terrorizer, but that has fallen by the wayside. Looking for something a little less commercial than Metal Hammer and that ilk.

Failing that, are there any good websites when it comes to new reviews and such? Cheers.

3 hours ago, Liam said:

Random question perhaps, but are there any metal magazines that produce digital copies that you can buy online? I used to read Terrorizer, but that has fallen by the wayside. Looking for something a little less commercial than Metal Hammer and that ilk.

Failing that, are there any good websites when it comes to new reviews and such? Cheers.

I didn't know that Terrorizer had officially died, but I assumed that was the case. 

Decibel always seemed pretty good. I assume they're still going. 

Invisible Oranges is a decent site. Angry Metal Guy has a lot of reviews, but is very much on the cheesy end of the spectrum. Toilet ov Hell are really good for death metal. 

When I'm not lazy, I have my moments...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, throughsilver said:

I didn't know that Terrorizer had officially died, but I assumed that was the case. 

Decibel always seemed pretty good. I assume they're still going. 

Invisible Oranges is a decent site. Angry Metal Guy has a lot of reviews, but is very much on the cheesy end of the spectrum. Toilet ov Hell are really good for death metal. 

When I'm not lazy, I have my moments...

Oddly enough,  I was looking for some more post-metal CDs. Cheers.

• Like 1

http://www.ironfistzine.com/

A friend of mine in Newcastle writes stuff for this one on occasion. I've actually never read it so thanks for reminding me. It's too bad Jon Metalion hung up the mantle of Slayer Mag. Isten from Finland (a great, great zine) still puts out mini-issues every once in awhile and they had a massive compilation book put out a couple years ago, but it might be hard as hell to find a copy of. Same goes for Slayer Mag but that one's easy to find from https://www.bazillionpoints.com/, a publishing company that puts out tons of awesome zine compilations and other metal/punk/etc. oriented books. If I can think of anything else I'll post it here.

• Like 1

One of my favorite bands, Columbia's Witchtrap, just came out with another slab of raging thrash. I still don't think they've done a sub-par album or even a bad song in almost 30 years.

(Note: The whole album's on there so just set the Autoplay and let 'er run)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine:

1. One

2. Master of Puppets.

3. Enter Sandman.

4. For Whom The Bells Tolls.

5. The Call of Ktulu.

6. Seek and Destroy.

7. Sanitarium.

8. Sad But True.

9. Blackened.

10. Until it Sleeps.

11. The Memory Remains.

12.  Cyanide.

13. Moth into Flame.

14. Fade into Black.

15. Orion.

16. The Unforgiven.

17. The Unforgiven II.

18. Creeping Death.

19. Nothing Else Matters.

20. All Nightmare Long.

• Like 3

Interesting idea that got me thinking about it a bit.  I know Jericho had a podcast going over Load and Reload where they made a "super album" between the two.  That was a one to follow along with as well.  Oddly enough this wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.  Now to be fair my list seems a bit pedestrian compared to the deep cuts on there.  But for an essential 20-song album covering Metallica this is what I'd go with.

1. The Four Horsemen
2. Seek and Destroy
3. For Whom the Bell Tolls
4. Creeping Death
5. Call of Kthulu
6. Battery
7. Master of Puppets
8. ...And Justice For All
9. One
10. Harvester of Sorrow
11. Enter Sandman
12. Whereve I May Roam