DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

Yeah, I know I posted this band before. These guys are, like, my favourite thing about 2019. I get endless amusement out of the fact the lead singer/guitarist looks like a high school science teacher but can just absolutely shred out solos and riffs to make mortals weep.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 12:41 AM, Death From Above said:

This is 20 years old, hahaha, we're all so old.

I got into Dimmu Borgir thanks to Gabe Sapolsky using this as Delirious theme. Those were the days.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

a0211885808_10.jpg

https://invictusproductions666.bandcamp.com/album/copulation-of-cloven-hooves

New Slutvomit, a total ripper. It's basically the best Nifelheim album since Servants of Darkness. Unfortunately the Bandcamp doesn't have the bonus tracks I downloaded, which are ultra-fast covers of Sodom's "Outbreak of Evil" and (get this) Judas Priest's "Dissident Aggressor" (!). 

Nifelheim IS coming out with a new album, incidentally, and have a new 7". 

And speaking of classic bands with new material...

• Like 1

Bonus! Just found this, a little taste of live Nifelheim with them covering Tormentor from Hungary (who had a singer by the name of Attila, who you might remember from a little album called De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas). Bombs, chains, spikes, nails, receding hairlines. And yes the bass player and singer are twin brothers, and yes they are in my personal pic

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue: Deathrash Edition

I can't stop listening to this fucking record. As much as it sounds like Slayer it's twice as hardcore-influenced (listen to the second side especially) and just rough and rugged. Forward to Termination is great too but this one is the killer. 

These Italian bastards have a new album that just came out but this one before it is my favorite of their four. Bulldozer meets first album Bathory and a lot of D-beat. It's a perfect combination. 

From Brasil (of course, considering they named their band after an Attomica song) and sounds like it, except the vocals which are totally Mille from Kreator. Ed Repka coverart (or Ed Repka ripoff coverart?) has been done to death but aside from that this is really good... and REALLY fast.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:50 PM, Death From Above said:

I have nothing but love for Ozzy and all he's done for us but that new single is absolutely dire.

I'm sad to report the whole record is kinda butt (though unlike you, I actually did like the single). The only stand out tracks to me are Eat Me and Scary Little Green Men. Everything else is very, very skippable. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've never been a big Hypocrisy fan, but I grew up with this song on the Death... Is Just the Beginning Vol. III comp and it has a KILLER solo in it. 

Also, their second album, now that I finally hear it, is pretty solid. So is this one. Now maybe I'll try getting into Penetralia again...

Had to order this from Hammerheart Records in Germany so it took a month to get here (surprisingly fast considering the obvious). This is one of the great thrash bands of the '80s that easily smokes more popular and far weaker bands like Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, etc. Instead of their meandering songs and wimpy singers, this is pure piss and vinegar. Stacy "Sheepdog" McLaren has the best snarls and especially high screams of anybody, the songwriting is compact and intense, and everything just rips. Canada's finest! 

Here's a bonus video: