DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

Just from scanning my recent vinyl and giving some small thought to it, new Undergang, Midnight, Haunt, Wytch Hazel, Unaussprechlichen Kulten (sic?), Deceased, and Archgoat from last year were all stellar. (They should be all 2018... I think.) 

EDIT: Undergang and Midnight were 2017, dammit 

10 hours ago, Liam said:

Can anyone recommend some worthwhile listens from 2018?

I did start to give a selection of bands I was into, but it ranges across a lot of different metal genres, so happy to hear what people recommend.

Sleep The Sciences

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just from scanning my recent vinyl and giving some small thought to it, new Undergang, Midnight, Haunt, Wytch Hazel, Unaussprechlichen Kulten (sic?), Deceased, and Archgoat from last year were all stellar. (They should be all 2018... I think.) 

EDIT: Undergang and Midnight were 2017, dammit 

To be honest, I've not followed much in quite a while so I'll take any and all recommendations.

Cheers guys.

• Like 1

I'm eagerly anticipating Rammstein's new album coming out in a few months but the OGs of Neue Deutsche Harte, OOMPH!, have a new label (Napalm Records) and a new album (Ritual) that sounds like some of their older work, dark and heavy. 

Video is NSFW because of brief classical art nudity.

• Like 1

Just got a copy of Autopsy's Retribution for the Dead 12" EP in the mail today (something I never thought would end up getting re-released, actually). The first time I heard it was when I got a tape copy of Severed Survival with the EP on the back; I thought the batteries in my Walkman were actually dying when those tracks started playing. So now I get the vinyl and guess what? It was recorded on 45 RPM so I can actually SLOW IT DOWN by turning it onto 33 1/3. It's like Winter are covering the songs instead of Reifert and company...

Guest The Magnificent 7

So what is the modern Blue Grape for metal shirts and hoodies and all that?  I did a search and Blue Grape doesn’t exist anymore?

I get about 75% of my metal through Hell's Headbangers. They carry a ton of shirts and gear but I never look at em unless they show up in the new releases so can't tell you what all they have. Its guaranteed to be pretty underground, though.

Most of my shirts are bootlegs from a certain metal musician formerly of the D.C. area haha

It's either the 37th or 38th anniversary of the release of Tank's Filth Hounds of Hades today (it was on FB earlier and I'm too lazy to look it up). Here's a song that Metallica should have covered years ago and let some more legends get some royalties...

One from the 2018 list. King Fowley was pretty busy last year, getting his autobio put out and working on yet another Deceased LP, both ended up highly entertaining. This one mines the more melodic side of Deceased a la Supernatural Addiction, and has some of the longest songs they've ever put out (the second one runs I think 15, I was driving home listening to this, glanced down at the timer and it was already at 12, I couldn't believe it). The band has never put out a bad record and aren't stopping anytime soon, if this is your first time hearing them it might pay to listen to Fearless Undead Machines first but all of them have their own unique vibe so this is still a good a place to start as any. 

• Like 1

Ooooo and guess what else came in the mail? The LP version of this

Wait... shit, it doesn't have Passage to Arcturo?! No fair...

EDIT: Sure enough, Peaceville split that off the comp and re-released it separate back in '17. As Doom most succinctly put it: FUCK PEACEVILLE

Edited by Curt McGirt

Been listening to some classic 80s thrash.  But really, outside of the big 4 (Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, in that order - and Anthrax is always more interesting when they're more thrash-adjacent), I'm not crazy about a lot of this stuff.  What am I missing? 

I'll say this: including the big four, there was a lot of sucky thrash coming out of the US in the '80s. Germany is where it's at for thrash -- Sodom, Destruction, Kreator, Tankard, Darkness, Violent Force, Protector, Poison (the real one), those weirdos in Living Death, Assassin, etc. all shit on stuff like Anthrax from a great height. Even bands as good as Exodus typically only had one good album. My main problem with US style is the tendency to mosh it up and, frankly, just not play fast enough. That's why you gotta dig for the good stuff, like Holy Terror.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Not technically 80’s thrash, but Demolition Hammer’s debut came out in 1990 and that (Tortured Existence) and Epidemic of Violence are personal favorites of thrash or thrash favored DM. 

I mean it doesn’t get much better / pleasantly cornball than that shouty thrash   vocal of stalagmites and “Retreat to the equator” in Cataclysm. 

It's funny you mentioned them because I just went out of my way to revisit those two albums again about two weeks ago. Tortured Existence still sounds like Suffocation's slower brother (the production has a lot to do with that), but I was all-in on Epidemic of Violence, particularly this track:

The speed ratcheting up then decreasing in like four parts back to the original tempo in the span of several seconds later on is jaw-dropping. Some great death/thrash going on here. Vinny Daze is particularly awesome through the entire album, that dude was the double bass master.

Guest The Magnificent 7
39 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's funny you mentioned them because I just went out of my way to revisit those two albums again about two weeks ago. Tortured Existence still sounds like Suffocation's slower brother (the production has a lot to do with that), but I was all-in on Epidemic of Violence, particularly this track:

The speed ratcheting up then decreasing in like four parts back to the original tempo in the span of several seconds later on is jaw-dropping. Some great death/thrash going on here. Vinny Daze is particularly awesome through the entire album, that dude was the double bass master.

Aye, I love Epidemic. I got Time Bomb the day it cane out and while I have been majorly let down / disappointed by albums I have usually had some inkling or forewarning ala Carcass’ Seansong, but imagine having your excitement crushed with Time Bomb outta nowhere. The album even started with a sample from one of my favorite speeches from a movie that is not well known , but an all-timer of a movie (Prince of the City) so I am like mega pumped at this point for some thrashy death greatness. Then the music hit. ?

Speaking of disappointments, my top 3 hey dawg that’s a bit too much of a stylistic jump albums, would be Swansong, Time Bomb, and Feel Sorry for the Fanatic (Morgoth). 

Crushing experiences. 

Swansong was my first Carcass experience. Boy, the times before the internet of today where you can just listen to anything and not have to take a wild guess at what you were picking up were different indeed. Luckily I picked up Symphonies not long after (along with Eastern Blood - Hail to Poland by Unleashed. Not a bad haul, that day).