DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

So some time back I stumbled across a whole scene I was unaware of...mid 90s melodic black metal. Think Dissection, where it's all cold and brutal but it has awesome harmonies and stuff. Some albums I'd like to recommend if anyone is interested...

Sacramentum- Far Away From The Sun

Vinterland- Welcome My Last Chapter

Dawn- Slaughtersun

Decameron- My Shadow

Eucharist- A Velvet Creation

Unanimated- Ancient God Of Evil

Gates of Ishtar- Dawn Of Flames

Mork Gryning- Tusen Ar Har Gatt

Midvinter- At The Sight Of The Apocalypse Dragon

Gehenna- Seen Through The Veils Of Darkness

Jesus fuck. I saw Devildriver live and they sounded like someone was playing their CD over the PA with a live vocal over the top... there are just some things I cannot abide by. Coal Chamber I won't even start on. 

I've had Dawn - Slaughtersun for years but can't remember anything other than it's good. Sacramentum is supposed to be pretty good too. Dissection is just not my thing though I respect them. 

The Gehennah/Sepultura/Vulcano LPs all came in the mail and all rule and I also picked up Bomber by Motorhead (along with No One Rules by Agnostic Front which comes with an INSANE booklet. any lovers of '80s hardcore punk out there need to check it out). Now, the search continues...

EDIT: That Devildriver experience also included Morbid Angel and Satyricon, for what it's worth. Satyricon's singer having a laughable wig just made me lose more respect for them. Morbid was okay but they were better when I saw them with Suffocation (who blew just about every metal band I've seen out of the water) and a very angry Steve Tucker was bitching about some rednecks that fucked with him that night.

Hey speaking of melodic black metal, this worked its way back into rotation over here recently. Fantastic record, as are Kveldssanger and Nattens Madrigal, all in completely different ways for obvious reasons. Still never heard the demo, though (no interest in the rest)

Not sure whether or not anyone else on here is a fan of theirs, but 3 Inches of Blood have called it quits.  Per their Facebook:

Unfortunately this is not the sort of news you were wanting to hear but here goes.

It is now that we come to announce that 3 Inches of Blood has decided to part ways.

Naturally, people will have questions as to why we have collectively made this decision. While our reasons are personal, just know we are all still good friends, but it is just time to move on.

All of us will continue to pursue musical projects, so refer to our social media pages to keep up with that.

We are eternally thankful to our fans, friends and family that have stuck by us through thick and thin and always believed in us. You are the reason this band got anywhere and kept us going. We'd also like to thank our musical peers and former 3 Inches of Blood members for all your love and support over the years.

We'd like to put one last stamp on the band's career and end it in grand style. Our final performance will be in our hometown of Vancouver, BC, Canada on Saturday, November 7, 2015 at the fabulous Commodore Ballroom. We're pleased to say that, Fire Up the Blades-era bassist, Nick Cates will be playing the show with us. As well, we intend to deliver other special surprises that will make this a night to remember. Tickets go on sale this Friday, June 5 and you will be able to get them here http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/11004EBD8E6467B9 

Went to Chicago to see World/Inferno Friendship Society (look 'em up, amazing band, and totally not metal) and happened to go to Reckless Records... boy, that was a great idea for my record player and a horrible one for my wallet. This is what I ended up scoring: 

Yeah. I didn't even get out of the metal section. My friend got about six or seven records from the punk section and spent like $30. I don't even want to disclose what ended up spending.

• Like 1

And then get this, I come home from work and THESE are waiting for me in the mail!

FOAD Records did a great job with these re-releases; both are gatefold and IX even has a bonus CD of alternate/original mixes of the first four songs. The Bolt Thrower above is on Back In Black and all the rest are Metal Blade apparently taking the Roadrunner back catalog and running with it. Maybe they'll re-release the Suffocation albums someday... Oh yeah, and all minus the Bulldozer are colored vinyl. Sorry but I have to gloat over this shit because it rules.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to stay current in the metal scene and came across new death metal band Cut Up. I liked the sone below and may buy their album when it is released on June 30th.

I confess to knowing absolutely nothing about Oceans of Slumber outside of their tweet about signing with Century Media literally 25 minutes ago and I cannot stop playing this song.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

July is over and now it is time to REVIVE! RESURRECT! (if you weel) the Metal Thread. Divine Eve from Texas have amazingly decided to bring themselves back from the dead so this is fitting. This is also more Celtic Frost than anything you might hear not played by Celtic Frost. 

It isn't as good as this but I'll take what I can get. 

• 2 weeks later...

They really went over the top on that goofy video. The singer looks like a twat and the quotes for the music are horrible. But, it's Hank and Michael, I'll listen. The singer isn't enough to turn me off despite his faux intensity on the screen. 

This came up today in the Serious New Death Metal Sweepstakes. Album cover is NSFW in a "oh what is that? UGH" for your coworkers sense. I don't even know what it is but if you have the bravery to look up their demo cover on Encyclopedia Metallum you can probably guess, and it's far softer than THAT. Oh, and the music is killer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o5mqAHz66o

This album is on constant repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2946C2CZfGw

Yes, a concept album about the Fifth Element.  Just crushing, elephantine riffs washing over you.  Screams and shrieks.  About the Fifth Element.  Loving this. 

http://trappedwithinburningmachinery.bandcamp.com/album/the-filth-element