DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

Guest The Magnificent 7

Quite like this.  Catchy little piano intro and a Lovecraft song title had me at hello.

• 1 month later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

It's been a whole month with this thread neglected.  I will fly the metal flag, then.

A classic now IMO, since it's 10 years since it came out, but I threw this EP on the stereo today and the opening track still destroys.  Probably my all-time favorite metal track with female vocals (this is your cue to bring some content and dispute that notion with your favorites).

Edit - the youtube link is for the follow up album to the EP, which the song also appeared on.  I only have the self-titled EP, which this song opens.  Just didn't want to confuse anyone.  The point is, this song is heavy as it gets and the riffs are excellent.  Good vocals, too.

Chaoswave - Swept Away

About time we start this back up after the June thread. Topic: Female Metal Singers? Okay... go!

Kate sounds a lot like Deb from this band:

or we could go all kinds of fucked up with it 

And then of course, any excuse to post this video is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

New Wolves in the Throne Room is... very much not metal. Which isn't a surprise, really, as it was billed as a sort of ambient companion piece to Celestial Lineage. And that's exactly what it is. Not my thing, but here's something of it, if you're curious. Apparently they're headed back to their black metal niche after this.

Keeping with the atmospheric black metal theme, and the (kinda done now, but whatever) focus on female vocalists, here's this. I'm buying the record already. 

• 1 month later...

I saw Static-X in LA opening for System of a Down.  I'm pretty sure it was before they got signed, because Wayne was handing out fliers and CDs for their next show in the lobby after the show.  The hair was still straight up.  And, he was still manic.  Only ever had the first two records, but I thought they were pretty darn good for their time.  

Not a huge fan, but bummed about Wayne Static for his fans.

On a lighter note, the mighty Metallica will be playing Craig Ferguson every night from 11/17-11/21! So beyond psyched, even if it will most likely be Puppets and Black cuts-- though I'd bet there's a pretty good chance they pepper a "One" or "Fade to Black" in. I'd love if they hit us with a new song-- I'd even settle for "Lords of Summer" even if it IS a little too long/unstructured. I think they did Bells on Colbert so maybe they'll toss that in-- it's only 3 1/2 minutes long, so it's pretty much perfect TV length

Going to see Carcass and Obituary on Saturday.  I had the chance to see both acts perform separately in 2009, really looking forward to a show featuring two of my favorite acts on the same bill.  My area hasn't really played host to many top-level metal acts in awhile, so this is definitely a breath of fresh air.

I suppose this goes without saying, but Surgical Steel is so fucking good:

I can't stand Surgical Steel. So safe and easy-to-digest from a band that used to sound like this

Still wish I could make the tour though. I am broke and this band isn't playing the one show I could make however, so...

Then again there are these guys on the bill. But again no cash and no ride.