DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a vinyl copy (Die Hard Edition, two gold colored discs with a pin of a frog-samurai and a sticker and poster) of my favorite Sabbat record. Just incredible stuff. 

EDIT: Oh and the fourth side is an etching! So really deluxe. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Indian metal group Bloodywood put out their first album (Rakshak) a few days ago. And if you don't know them, you should get acquainted with them. They remind me a lot of Rage Against the Machine: wicked riffs and drums with traditional Indian sounds and very political lyrics. They've released three singles and none have missed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got my hands on an LP copy of this. Svart Records, as always, did it up right by putting it with the demo on a separate disc and throwing in a 20 someodd page booklet with all the band stuff they could scrape up. If you like it heavy and slooooooooow this is for you. 

This is a new find. All these war metal bands like militaristic sounds but rarely sound like that, THESE guys do. The drummer manages to use accents to turn blast beats into marching drills! It's pretty gnarly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rammstein's newest album, Zeit, was released today. it's rumored that this might be their final album, especially since most of the songs on the album deal with time and aging. The third single/video for the album was released today as well, Angst. It's probably the heaviest of the songs on Zeit as well as having a music video that's very topical as well as nightmare inducing. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I know this is hardly current, nor is it news, but like

How in the actual fuck did Bruce Dickinson off the back of throat cancer have this good a voice in his mid-late 50's? Can we just stop for a minute to consider the possibility this dude isn't actually human?

I finally got to see them live around this time and it's definitely no post production bullshit, he blew me out of my fucking chair

• Like 2

Also, while I'm in here, Rammstein own. I got into them very early on in their careers when I was in high school and when they finally, mercifully, many years later did a major north American tour I lost my shit when I found out they were doing Edmonton.

Few things are ever gonna equal hearing Links 2 3 4 live and in person. Fucking amazing stage show. Flamethrowers, ho!

• Like 1

I caught them on the Somewhere Back in Time tour and they blew me literally to the floor on more than one point, groveling on my knees in worship. Bruce Bruce has to be superhuman at this point. There's something about that guy. 

Was talking with Mark from Impetigo on Facebook today and he mentioned that Tyrant from Nifelheim (bassist, one of the twins -- and the guy on the left in my personal pic) said he saw Maiden over 200 times! 

Hey, speaking of Nifelheim: New lineup but they still kill it, even without the pyro. Blacky from the Czech gods Root is playing guitar for them now, so better than ever. I was gonna post their set taped for Rockpalast but unfortunately it is behind a private wall on Youtube and Facebook now, the bastards. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

There's a few shows I'm sad I missed out on. Heaven and Hell before Dio's death is at the top of the list but not going to see Maiden is pretty high. Every time I watch Flight 666 videos I'm in awe of how great their live shows are and Bruce is... well.. Bruce. Human Air Raid Siren, indeed.

Finally, after a two year delay and surprise album release, I get to see Rammstein on their stadium tour in Minneapolis in August. I've been trying my hardest not to spoil the set list but it's taking what seems like a ton of self-control not to peek. I saw them on the MiG tour ten years ago (really? wow) and it's one of the best experiences I've had. I dragged my brother-in-law with me as a payback for taking me to a previous concert (Metallica with frickin' GOJIRA and Lamb of God opening) and as we left, with my ears ringing and voice blown out, I asked him what he thought of the concert.

He paused and said "Honestly, I didn't expect much. But that's probably the best concert I've ever been to." So I'm taking him along again.