DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm stoked for the new 1914 album coming out today.  They're my favorite World War I themed death metal band.  Probably best known for this:

I love bands that have very specific themes.  Any other ones I'm blanking on right now?

• Like 1

Sabaton pretty much only writes songs about historical events, mainly wars. Their album Great War is WWI themed (Attack of the Dead Men is the best song on the album IMO). The Last Stand is about, well, great historical last stands (Rorke's Drift and The Last Stand are great songs from that album).

Running Wild, the original band of pirates! I was listening to Death or Glory just the other day. What a wonderful album. 

I just snagged this for five whole dollars in a storage-clearing sale and it is worth WAY more. Wrathprayer is alright but Force of Darkness is INCREDIBLE. "The Order" is fucking epic and will destroy your soul. 

Sick, sick art too, on the outside and inside

Speaking of war-themed bands, of course there's Bolt Thrower but I have to tip my hat to Hail of Bullets (though I haven't listened to them in forever). They seem to be entirely WWII oriented but unlike, say, Marduk, I'm not afraid that they might have a certain, errrr, separate interest in the concept. (I like plenty of early Marduk but have doubts that their political ideals are totally on the level. Just a hunch.)

On 10/23/2021 at 5:20 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Running Wild, the original band of pirates! I was listening to Death or Glory just the other day. What a wonderful album. 

I just snagged this for five whole dollars in a storage-clearing sale and it is worth WAY more. Wrathprayer is alright but Force of Darkness is INCREDIBLE. "The Order" is fucking epic and will destroy your soul. 

Sick, sick art too, on the outside and inside

That is one spectacular Running Wild album right there! The only one I had by them, until I had none. Then I bought 2005's Rouges en Vogue, which remains one of my favorite metal albums to this day.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 5:36 PM, Lawful Metal said:

I'm stoked for the new 1914 album coming out today.  They're my favorite World War I themed death metal band.  Probably best known for this:

I love bands that have very specific themes.  Any other ones I'm blanking on right now?

Finnish Metal pioneers Amorphis have forged a nigh 30-year career out of Kalevala-themes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, but they were at their best on this ?

Yeah, I was pretty sure you were going to bring this one up. I think I also had this one for a little bit, or am I confusing it with the first Moonspell release? Definitely had that. Maybe it was both.

This is the first I've come across Havukruunu, but there sure has been an influx of Finnish metal bands over the past two and a half decades, who actually sing in Finnish. And there's such a wide variety of them these days. Almost any metal sub-genre and there's at least one or two of them using Finnish language. Surprising and cool, even though 25 years ago, I had serious doubts that Finnish could be used successfully in any genre whatsoever, but I've since changed my tune quite drastically.

Dude there are 1000 Finnish-speaking hardcore punk bands stretching back to the late '70s that are pretty much all awesome. Like Italian and Spanish, the language is very conducive to the music. Most of it sounds very unhinged. For example (NSFW): 

Spoiler

Yeah that is a guy hanging upside down with a candle sticking out of his ass. Terveet has a bit of a bondage theme every once in awhile haha

Spoiler

I FINALLY found this on vinyl and for far less of a sum than I anticipated paying for it. It is my firm belief that it is not only one of the best goregrind/grindcore records ever, but one of the best death metal records ever period. The mix of the two is perfect and they have riffs and beats for days. Cover is a little NSFW (bunch of organs) so I put the spoilers on 'er. 

Their prior demo is already really good albeit noisy, the album after this is fine, but the album after THAT, A Chapter of Accidents, is pure goregrind and one of the most intense things ever. Not just the music, but the lyrics, which are hauntingly grim and disturbing; all of them are about a different horrific occurance, like getting maimed by a lion. None of them rhyme so they're like short prose poems meant to fuck with your head. And the cover is just unbelievably gross and NSFW so if you look it up, be forewarned...

Edited by Curt McGirt