DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

Yeah, that's the Spiritworld I listened to. Not my thing. Don't like the vocals and too mosh-y. I'm familiar with that Skeleton and they're fine but I'm still kinda pissed that they took the name of a band that already had it for awhile and are better, even if they were in another country. Couldn't they have at least looked that up first? I've done interminable searches to make sure my bands didn't have the same name of someone else. Hjelvik are solid and the High on Fire cover is too. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, that's the Spiritworld I listened to. Not my thing. Don't like the vocals and too mosh-y. I'm familiar with that Skeleton and they're fine but I'm still kinda pissed that they took the name of a band that already had it for awhile and are better, even if they were in another country. Couldn't they have at least looked that up first? I've done interminable searches to make sure my bands didn't have the same name of someone else. Hjelvik are solid and the High on Fire cover is too. 

Damn I love that Spiritworld.  Oh well.  I hated the Cirith Ungol. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up, the new vinyl re-release (and probably CD and tape) of Carcass - Reek of Putrefaction is totally censored. The cheap bastards at Earache couldn't even be bothered to put the art on the inside. The 2013 re-release I have is perfect so I don't know what's up. 

Symphonies of Sickness, on the other hand, has the original weird grey coverart and the gore on the lyric sheet/insert, so it's like the original. WTF...

• 3 weeks later...

This awesome old Metal Blade banger came in today, re-release on grey marble wax with giant poster. Whole album is there if you let it play. Far more melodic after the first song, too. One of those great albums with such lovely dated artwork that just lets you know you're gonna love it. 

I also got in Screaming for Vengeance which somehow I never had on vinyl. Weird.

Not sure where to post this, as I’m not sure we’re “heavy” heavy metal, but pre-Covid your favorite drunk poster got his teenage metal band back together and we managed to knock out a 3 song EP somehow during a pandemic.

Hope you enjoy, if not tell me to F off!

I’m on the bass and vocals. The other songs should be on the same channel.

• Like 3

I imagine most of you folks have seen the clip of heavy metal originals Blue Cheer on Beat Club.

I was today years old when I discovered they were also on AMERICAN BANDSTAND.

Find a weirder dichotomy between a band and a TV show they actually appeared on. Slayer on the Tonight Show, maaaaaaaybe.

• Like 2

Forgot all about the Slayer clip and never knew about the Cheer stuff. In fact I've never even sought out Blue Cheer live footage, which is strange for someone whos designated album cover to break up weed on when I was in high school was Vincebus Eruptum ?

FINALLY got Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness in today after ordering it all the way back in December (England + Covid to blame). And be forewarned if you go after the reissue of Reek of Putrefaction too, because they horribly censored the coverart: 

R-16850928-1610297066-8903.jpeg.jpg

Seriously? Seriously. My buddy ordered that and the art isn't even on the inside. He was PISSED.

EDIT: Well I guess I posted about that last month, but worth saying it again due to the physical evidence.

Edited by Curt McGirt

45 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Forgot all about the Slayer clip and never knew about the Cheer stuff. In fact I've never even sought out Blue Cheer live footage, which is strange for someone whos designated album cover to break up weed on when I was in high school was Vincebus Eruptum ?

The Beat Club/Musikladen YouTube pages have been putting up pristine clips from all sorts of performances, including the Blue Cheer stuff and this amazing Captain Beefheart number. It's quite the rabbit hole.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

^^^^ I wasn't too hot on the new Gojira when it first dropped, but it's definitely a grower. The heavy section towards the end slams hard

2021 METAL

New Enforced album is full throttle, no bullshit, blisteringly fast hardcore/thrash to bang ya fucking nut to

Edited by killsteve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The general music thread had a discussion about earplugs, which led to me reminiscing about seeing Sunn0))) and Boris, which led to me finding the Sunn0))) live archives Bandcamp, which led to me finding the Youtube page of the guy who recorded said Sunn0)))/Boris show, which led to me finding an awesome live video he recorded of my favorite French Hello Kitty-inspired sludge/doom band, Monarch! (the "!" is part of the name,) among many, MANY other bands (Floor, Earth, Melvins, Pissed Jeans, Green Jelly/Green Jello (this held the most interest for me so I could see how far the GWAR rip-off extended,) Napalm Death, Eyehategod, Godspeed..., Prurient, Wolfeyes, Big Business, and many many more.) The Indian show is next in my playlist. 

It also reminded me of Shrinebuilder, the doom "supergroup." Don't think I've ever listened to the album but I am adding it to my list of things to check out this week. 

Will do! The last Crown was great. I'm not a fan of some of their discography but once in awhile an album just jumps out and punches you and the mouth; this one certainly did 

so after hearing that I had to post the new one, though I still haven't heard it all the way through yet.

EDIT: @Zakk_Sabbathafter listening to that Hamartia methinks you are really gonna like the new At the Gates

Listen to this too, buddy just texted it to me

You should dig it

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...