DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 1, ARIES vs. DEVITT

ARIES OR DEVITT  

85 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE YOUR WEAPON

I voted Devitt because I enjoy his New Japan stuff when he's actually wrestling, and because I was there live for his match with Ricochet at Rev Pro in London, and it was pretty superb all told. Aries doesn't seem to have done much this year except trade the X Division Title in five minute matches.

I'll be honest, I never thought Aries was that great.  even when he was having his big run, I used to tune in and go "Hmm, that's it..." okay.

That Devitt match was all right.  All this time I thought he was Indian, not Irish, but that was without having seen him.  Plus, he came to the ring on Luke Gallows shoulders, and not wearing a cape so Devitt > Aries.

Aries was my pick for wrestler of the year in 2012 and obviously he hasn't had near the good booking or chances to equal that since but I thought he still had a pretty good 2013. The Styles matches like the one posted were some of his best stuff. Also enjoyed his team with Roode and a handful of his singles matches throughout. I think he's still the best overall guy in the company as far as always delivering in the ring and on the mic, it's a shame his 2012 momentum wasn't kept up so it'll be sad to see him bounced out here in the first round.

Here's some good vids.

http://youtu.be/kACqz6AcQP0

http://youtu.be/JxUQAKQvwN0

http://youtu.be/33-refu8Ra0

The Bullet Club is a terrible gimmick that would be universally loathed if it was in any other fed on earth

I also really hate The Bullet Club. Actually the group of guys are fine, I guess, it's mostly all the shit interference. I watched one match where one guy interefered by throwing liquid in Kenny Omega's eyes, and that was the DISTRACTION for another guy to beat up Kenny, while the ref admonished the first dude.

It's the kind of intereference that doesn't help matches or put heat on the heel, it just makes me hate the ref for not sending these guys to the back or ringing the bell.

I totally voted for Ares because the Bullet Club stuff was so offensively bad.  It made it look like Devitt could not beat a guy with 5 guys constantly helping him.  Which is funny since he lost a couple of the matches I saw which sort of proves the point.  The matches had zero flow and were just this exercise in total frustration.  Like Joe Fixit said, it was a TNA main event.

The Devitt-Tanahashi stuff seemed entertaining to me.  I mean, the crowd was totally into every little bit of interference given it's not something they see a lot, so not sure what the big problem is?  That said, the clip really wanted me to see Haku's other son, because he looked really awesome throwing punches.  Is he actually any good?

The crowds popping for stuff is a fair argument if we are talking about Devitt's ability to appeal to his audience.  But I'm really only interested in the audience of well ... me.  It's like I'm sure there are lots of people out there into Pitbull, I'm just not one of them.  So if you make me chose between him and a less famous act, I'm not going to take his number of fans into consideration when making my judgment.  Granted if I was a judge on American Idol, his number of fans would matter a whole lot more because I want to go into the business of selling PitBull.

Ya'll need to be careful with this Bullet Club hate...

tumblr_n1u877a70w1snsjfoo1_500.jpg

...Before the Hall of Pain's original curator comes to collect.

Meng coming back and joining Bullet Club would make it 243253245 times better than it is.

Course, 243253245 times 0 is still 0...

When trying to remember what Aries accomplished over the past year, I could remember 2 things: Stealing the Suicide outfit, and putting his junk in Christy Hemme's face after she called him the wrong name during ring intros. Not enough to earn a vote this year.