DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 1, ARIES vs. DEVITT

ARIES OR DEVITT  

85 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE YOUR WEAPON

I'm pretty torn over who to pick for this one. I like both guys, I think they're both really good. I'm leaning towards Devitt but it's mainly because I feel that he delivers in big matches better but I realize that Aries is in TNA where I never really feel like there are big matches because the booking is so terrible. Is it right to give the advantage to a guy just because he is in a better company?

I'm not that familiar with Devitt, which is something I'm working on solving now, but I do have a note from that match listed for starters.

THAT got a Meltz 5 star? It was good, make no mistake, but I can name 5 better Cesaro matches from this year off the top of my head. Was it because it was such an un New Japan match with all the interference, or has that become more common then it was the last time I watched? But yeah, that was a good match, but I've seen a lot better in the last calender year.

That said, I already have a feeling I'm going Prince on this one. Aries... Aries needs out of TNA. Badly. I know he's small, but I'd still look at him if I'm the E.

I kind of dislike Devitt on principle mainly just for Rovert being all gaga for him. On the other hand i feel like I helped to screw Aries last year, so I'll probably go for him.

Yes, folks, scientific voting at its finest.

• Like 1

THAT got a Meltz 5 star? 

I think it's just an account name.

Well then, now my rant is more stupid then I prefer it to be. Waste of a good rant, and I'm trying not go on too many this year.

I kind of dislike Devitt on principle mainly just for Rovert being all gaga for him. On the other hand i feel like I helped to screw Aries last year, so I'll probably go for him.

Yes, folks, scientific voting at its finest.

You really really did screw Aries last year... and that's coming from someone who wants Aries out round 1 this year, and has Cesaro winning the entire thing this year.

I hope people don't watch that match as their first look at Devitt and assume he is just Irish Jeff Jarrett from the nWo days.

Devitt gets my vote easily here. I feel like this is a great pairing because the buzz for Devitt this year in Japan was very similar to the buzz Aries had last year when he beat Bobby Roode. I think this year, Devitt has had many more stand out matches and moments and has created a lot of new 'dream match' buzz if he ever came to the states. Aries had a totally respectable year but wasn't really able to build on his momentum from last year. I think a harder poll to answer would be what's better between this year from Devitt or last year from Aries.

Well, I like his match with Okada a lot, but I don't really think it helps my cause because it has a ref bump and some interference as well. I do think they are used better in that match. I haven't seen it, but YouTube has a match with PAC that might be interesting.

Well, I like his match with Okada a lot, but I don't really think it helps my cause because it has a ref bump and some interference as well. I do think they are used better in that match. I haven't seen it, but YouTube has a match with PAC that might be interesting.

Assuming you mean Neville, then it'd be out of the voting period: He had been in WWE all 2013

Devitt is maybe the worst heel I've ever seen. This is also considering that while Japanese juniorweight wrestling has a proud history of The Worst Heels I've Ever Seen (Kotaro Suzuki springs to mind) that even in the face of such consistantly terrible fucking heels, Devitt might still be the worst.

On the flipside, I haven't watched a full episode of Impact since the first monday night show, and Aries sings in a buttrock band now. So I guess I have to vote for Devitt.

I'm not really a Devitt fan, but Aries has been disinterested all year after TNA booked him into the ground. He's like a smaller Samoa Joe at this point. I think Devitt's output at the big NJPW shows is better than the Aries from this year I watched, even if I think Aries is definitely better than Devitt in terms of his offense, timing, and general look. 

I vote Devitt here. 

I'm not really a Devitt fan, but Aries has been disinterested all year after TNA booked him into the ground. He's like a smaller Samoa Joe at this point. I think Devitt's output at the big NJPW shows is better than the Aries from this year I watched, even if I think Aries is definitely better than Devitt in terms of his offense, timing, and general look. 

I vote Devitt here. 

I think this is fair. If this was 12 months ago then Austin Aries takes it, but he's clearly been ground down by the TNA farce, so it's hard to vote for him over Devitt here.

TNA is terrible and I try to avoid it at all costs because it makes me hate being a wrestling fan. 

Having said that I voted for Aries.  Not so much because I think Aries was anything special this year, but because Devitt is near the bottom of the list of wrestlers I want to see.  He's ahead of HHH, but after that the pickings get real slim.  The Bullet Club is a terrible gimmick that would be universally loathed if it was in any other fed on earth, and Devitt is the most annoying thing about it.  I don't hate him as a worker as much as someone people I know, but it's not like he had any matches I thought were better than pretty good last year to offset is WOATC level gimmick. 

Devitt has been great in everything I have seen him in, which has been NJPW & UK indie feds. He has had wild brawls in the UK, technical matches, hard hitting stuff, he does it all well.  It seems like he should be booked in the US and Canada more to get the exposure.

Aries on the other hand has been consistantly good in TNA, although I'm not sure that counts for much any more. I like Aries but I definitely buy into the Devitt love, so its Devitt for me.

I'd like Devitt a lot more if he was rid of that dumb ass Bullet Club BS.  His match at Wrestle Kingdom 8 with Ibushi was good once the ref ejected everyone else from ringside and Devitt had to go alone.  

On the other hand, yeah, Aries hasn't given a shit since he dropped the Title.

Aries, because frankly, I loathe anything Bullet Club related (unless Suzuki is beating the shit out of them), and Devitt is the leader of that shitty stable.

I kinda feel like these two are fairly interchangeable. If they swapped spots, people would say Devitt didn't care, and Aries would be better without a dumb stable, etc.

That being said, and all other things being equal, I can't see myself ever voting for TNA anything.