DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

PS3 only though, at least at launch.If that turns out to be another "Play as Joker" situation, I'll be at least slightly miffed.

Ditto and I think it will be.

Diging the skins, although I still really want a current Batsuit, although the Zero Year isn't bad.

Haven't read Zero Year. How does the Batsuit look?

---

Batman: Arkham City update and I guess there's no need for spoilers now:

I’m not sleeping well so decided to play the game and in this one session playing main story mode, I: found/interrogated Mayor Sharp, fought Mr. Freeze (I defeated him with silent takedown/ glide kick/floor grate/drop attack all while Batman’s cape was frozen) and rescued Vicki Vale.

I finished up the following side missions: Remote Hideaway (getting the Mine Detonator Disruptor from the Cops), Watcher in the Wings (Azrael), The Tea Party (The Mad Hatter which was creepy but nowhere near the level of the brilliant Scarecrow sessions in Batman: Arkham Asylum), Cold Call Killer (Victor Zsasz), Puzzler (rescuing the third Riddler hostage) and Heart of Ice (reuniting Mr. Freeze with Nora, great name for that side mission) to go with AR Training which I completed a while back. I also got my second Deadshot victim.

I should have added Fragile Alliance (destroying Titan containers with Bane) to that list but I remembered I’d left the one Titan container I had remaining at Wonder Tower when you go there for the first time. I was annoyed with myself for doing that because I find the Subway is the worst place to get lost so far in the game and I know I need to go back there. I entered the Subway Station so I could return to Wonder Tower but the panel you need to hack to get back is protected by TYGER encryption protocols. I can’t decrypt it without access to the Master Control Program Hugo Strange uses.

Three questions then:

How soon as I coming up to a section of the game when you can hack these annoying TYGER encryption protocols?

Can all side missions be finished after the main story ends?

How far am I into the main game?

Thanks!

Gotta get the "Catch" trophy/acheivement before you complete Azreal's side mission, as he's the one that has to catch it. You can't finish the Riddler missions before you finish the game.

Resuced Viki and did Hatter... You're close. Also, about to hit the Point of No Return storywise (you're close to a point where you're abot to go linear for awhile)

Thanks guys. I did the Catch achievement the first time I saw Azrael. Re: Raziel403, with it going linear, take it I won't be able to go where I want? When I play the game, I divide my time between doing the main story and side missions when they appear. Hoping I'll be able to hack those TYGER panels ASAP.

The Point of No Return for the game is the cooling tunnels in the Steel Mill.  Once you pass under the first barrier, you're on rails.  You can explore around the areas you're in to grab Riddler Trophies and there is one new Side Mission that pops up that you can do right away, but every other side mission locks, and for good reason.  

I just wonder if the game will ever get the credit as being one of the greatest Batman stories ever (serious) because it is in fact a game. 

It's a very good story, but my god does it try to do a big payoff to the point of anticlimax at the end.

It's Hugo Strange! NOPE DEAD!It's Ra's Al Ghul! NOW HE'S DEAD!Joker kidnapped Talia! SHE'S DEAD!JOKER'S DEAD!By the time the death orgy was done, I just couldn't care about the supposed emotional payoff. And Clayface is a wild anticlamactic endboss as well.It's still a fun story, but it's got too many problems to rank with the all-time greats.

This was partially the reason why I actually wished they delayed Arkham City a bit more. The gameplay was absolutely perfect and mesmerizing, but as Shigeru Miyamoto once said, "A good game can be delayed, but a bad game is bad forever." The story was just bad IMO and I felt like by the time the climax was reached, it was basically "Shit! We gotta ship this game!"

... I thought the story was far better then the first game, but whatever.

The build was better and more engaging. The payoff was awful.Contrast the massive death orgy with the sheer awesomeness of a lineup of goons clapping you through to Joker who turns himself into a monster and tries to make you as well, only for you to fight to not be that...to fight him as yourself with the tools that make you who you are. It was a better payoff to the story and the characterization to that point, which also had the benefit of being a relatively satisfying end boss battle rather than...well, the last throwdown in AC.

• Like 1

The build was better and more engaging. The payoff was awful.Contrast the massive death orgy with the sheer awesomeness of a lineup of goons clapping you through to Joker who turns himself into a monster and tries to make you as well, only for you to fight to not be that...to fight him as yourself with the tools that make you who you are. It was a better payoff to the story and the characterization to that point, which also had the benefit of being a relatively satisfying end boss battle rather than...well, the last throwdown in AC.

I didn't care for it as much as you did because the whole point of Joker is that he's someone Batman can't just pummel into submission. Joker finally and permanently undone not by any action on Batman's part but by his own trickster nature going awry is the ultimate payoff.

Also Clayface was way the fuck harder than Venom-Joker.

The Ra's ending was a typical Ra's ending: He probably died but he's been whisked away for another Lazarus spa treatment. As for Hugo...I'm sorry, but in a game with Joker and Ra's Al Ghul, you can't possibly have believed that Hugo Strange was the big bad...

• Like 1

I got to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed with the Asylum finale and Joker becoming a giant Venom/Bane monster.  The ending just didn't have as profound an affect on me as City did with the ending.

The ending to Batman: Arkham Asylum seems to divide opinion. I've always liked it as Batman resists Titan after getting shot with it and fights The Joker who's taken Titan.

I haven't finished Batman: Arkham City yet as I don't have the time with my situation but so far I'm with The Unholy Dragon preferring the story in Batman: Arkham Asylum.

My God that is glorious.  Not super thrilled that Roger Craig Smith is using Bruce voice and Bat-voice, but its not near as bad as Bale's Bat-voice( since Smith's Bat-voice is close to Conroy).  I have a sinking feeling that the game will climax with the Deathstroke fight (as it should, really), so I'm hoping that its the final and not near the middle.

• Like 1

Finally completed Arkham City on New Game+ which I was hoping to do before getting into Origins.  New Game+ was pretty brutal especially since Catwoman can't do the disarm combo.  

The Mr. Freeze boss fight was pretty unforgiving this time around.  I just lucked into a couple attacks when I finally managed to beat him.

Two Face was easier once I realized I could narrow the armory down to two thugs.  In the regular game it seemed like it would stay at 4 thugs no matter how many you take out.  So it was weird to me that in plus they made Two Face really an easier predator room.

• Like 1

Finally completed Arkham City on New Game+ which I was hoping to do before getting into Origins.  New Game+ was pretty brutal especially since Catwoman can't do the disarm combo.  

The Mr. Freeze boss fight was pretty unforgiving this time around.  I just lucked into a couple attacks when I finally managed to beat him.

Two Face was easier once I realized I could narrow the armory down to two thugs.  In the regular game it seemed like it would stay at 4 thugs no matter how many you take out.  So it was weird to me that in plus they made Two Face really an easier predator room.

Now do it on Hard

Most fun and challenge I've had from a game.  NewGame+ Hard Mr. Freeze fight says you're a pussy.

• Like 1

LOL, Mr. Freeze on hard would probably make me break my PS3.  

Honestly, I've had a ton of fun going through the game again though I thought parts of New Game+ were a little unbalanced.  Getting all the gadgets right from the start made it even more playable.  Getting through it made me feel like I can give hard a try as well, so why not.