DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)

Batman: Arkham City (2011)

Batman: Arkham Origins (2013)

Batman: Arkham Knight (2014)

---

I'm currently playing through Batman: Arkham City (Game of the Year Edition) for the first time. While the board was down, I think I managed to get halfway through the main story. I'm really enjoying it. Most fun I've had from the game is with the four playable characters in challenge mode.

Latest Batman: Arkham Origins assassin revealed:

I like Copperhead's addition to the game. Copperhead looks a fun character to play as if given the chance.

EDIT: Batman: Arkham Knight announced (4th March 2014)

• 2 weeks later...

Batman: Arkham City update…

I had a great session yesterday finishing the section of the game when you follow a League of Assassins member and taking on Ra’s al Ghul in my favourite boss fight so far. Wish they got David Warner from Batman: The Animated Series to voice Ra’s. I also encountered Killer Croc, I’m guessing you know you can do that? I also collected three Riddler trophies which gave me three new challenge maps. Haven’t had any side missions for a while. Mentioning challenge mode, I got my highest combo yet with Nightwing, x169!

A topic on the Arkhamverse isn’t without the following which I’ve long since done thankfully:

AUGMENTED REALITY TRAINING FAILED

As I and others on the old board have said, the first and second advanced ones were awful. Two of the most frustrating gaming experiences I’ve ever had.

I've had this game on my shelf for over a year and I finally got to sit down and play it nonstop.  I beat the regular campaign and all the side quests.  And now I'm stuck scouring for these two Catwoman trophies I can't find at all.  

The Natural, I probably lost a solid 2-3 hours on the VR training side quest and constantly failing.  I don't understand what I really did to nail those rings when I actually did, but those were the most frustrating gaming hours of my life ever.

Anyway, what I like the most about this game is all the sort of odd extras that you can do.  Like after you fulfill side quests you can go back to check on certain characters and they will still give you new dialogue or actual new cut scenes with dialogue.  And when you do these things you actually get rewarded for it with the interview tapes and the like.  

Also I saw the Arkham Origins panel at Comic-Con and it was pretty disappointing.  I like both actors as Batman and Joker, Roger Craig Smith and Troy Baker, but they were just off that day.  For whatever reason they didn't want to do Batman and the Joker that day.  They came off as a little nervous and intimidated, it was weird  I think the developers blew it because they didn't really show us anything.  We didn't get to see really anything new or get any boss fights or game play levels.  Just to give you an example, when I was at E3 in 2011 they showed us a few different slices of Arkham City.  They showe us the gladiator arena fight and confrontation with the Penguin and actually what turned out to be the final chapter of the Catwoman side quest (when she robs the vault).  Now I already got to play a bit of Origins at E3, but it would've been nice to see some new footage of the game for the Con to show us why this game will be a worthy entry into the franchise and why we should buy it.

Now on Arkham City, it's hard for me to put into words how much I love this game.  I just wonder if the game will ever get the credit as being one of the greatest Batman stories ever (serious) because it is in fact a game.  I mean the first game was a trip.  Batman pretty much went to hell and back, but he seemed to come out of it OK.  I was a little underwhelmed honestly that at the end of Asylum everything just seems to go back to normal.  Everyone's OK.  No one is really dead.  Batman is just able to fly off.  This story was much harsher and emotional.  Batman gets put through even worse punishment.  He makes it out of it but you don't feel like he's won. I think the only thing I kind of wanted to see was maybe see Batman just kind of return to the cave and strip everything off.  We didn't ever really see him have a vulnerable moment in this piece at all.  Even when he's in danger, he's still in Batman/savage predator mode.  I kind of would've liked to see him maybe have a Jack Bauer breaks down moment and then have that Dark Knight Returns moment where he "finds his strength" again and goes back to work.  

The first game, I had this constant dread and abject sense of terror in dealing with the Joker.  I can't remember the last time I found Joker so frightening.  It wasn't quite the same here, but I think what I got out of the Joker storyline in this game was more along how creepy and weird the Joker/Batman relationship and dynamic was.  I like that the game went there and even at the end Joker is like declaring his "love" for Batman.  Frell, he sings "Only You" to him.  But I mean the game kind of addressed that on some weird, messed up level the Joker and Batman are friends.  

Ra's Al Ghul fight was awesome.  Scaling to the top of Wonder Tower was awesome.  

Ah you guys are bad at video games!

People saying the AR Training stuff is hard make me laugh. You are all terrible Batmans

Yeah, don't lie and pretend that you didn't hear "Augmented Reality Training Failed" about 242353456 times on your first playthrough.

Gets easier the 3rd or 4th time.

• Like 2

It was hard but he took me like half an hour.

Real hard frustrating shit that I played recently:

-My first run through Dark Souls (and it was not even a blind run!)

-Shao Khan in the last Mortal Kombat game. Fucking asshole piece of shit. That motherfucker made me waste around 2 hours before I gave up and checked the internet for a strategy, then another hour or so to actually beat him. I'm getting angry just thinking about it.

Re: TheVileOne. I got Batman: Arkham City (Game of the Year Edition) for Christmas 2012 and only had the time to start playing it for the first time this May so I’m trying to avoid spoilers. I lost about two hours on VR training with the advanced ones, particularly the first two.

I remember your report about playing some of Batman: Arkham City at E3 2011. Ta for mentioning the gladiator pit fight, I liked that apart from:

Making the Solomon Grundy fight harder for myself. I was spraying the explosive gel, the non quickfire gadget way. I only remembered about that ¾ into that fight.

Playing Batman: Arkham City and the controls would make for a great Spider-Man game. Batman’s grapple gun would be Spider-Man’s web when he’s swinging and the grapple gun boost will make Spider-Man jump higher. When you press the button for Catwoman to climb buildings, use that for Spider-Man’s wall climbing. For the Freeflow combat, change Batman’s combat for Spider-Man and switch the enemy attacking indicator onto Spidey for his Spider Sense. It feels great that the best comic book hero for all time and as a massive fan of him, gets two games he deserves. Same goes for the best film (The Dark Knight) and animation (Batman: The Animated Series).

Quoth D. Bryan esq. NO.

It has to be Spiderman 2 for ps2.

Yes MJ looks like a troll.

Yes, its a movie tie-in.

But its GTA:New York with web slingers and tobey maguire one liners. 

What more do you want?

Holy shit, Multi-player I'll actually play!  (Use of the Bo makes me think that's Drake as Robin, although given the timeframe, it should be Greyson).

Pre-order done, so I'll get playable Deathstroke as well.

Quoth D. Bryan esq. NO.

It has to be Spiderman 2 for ps2.

Yes MJ looks like a troll.

Yes, its a movie tie-in.

But its GTA:New York with web slingers and tobey maguire one liners.

What more do you want?

The web slinging was the best thing about it but I preferred Spider-Man (2000) for the story, characters, unlockables and training mode.

Holy shit, Multi-player I'll actually play! (Use of the Bo makes me think that's Drake as Robin, although given the timeframe, it should be Greyson).

Pre-order done, so I'll get playable Deathstroke as well.

It's Dick Grayson as Robin:

Playable Batman & Robin (confirmed as Dick Grayson by Eric Holmes) against loads of enemies? Could work quite nicely; what do you think?

Credit: arkhamverse.com

Dick has things Tim Drake's Robin used in Batman: Arkham City (bo staff, zip kick and bullet shield). I think that's led to the confusion. I would have have given Dick a different set of skills. Arkham Origin's Robin suit looks good.

I just wonder if the game will ever get the credit as being one of the greatest Batman stories ever (serious) because it is in fact a game. 

It's a very good story, but my god does it try to do a big payoff to the point of anticlimax at the end.

It's Hugo Strange! NOPE DEAD!It's Ra's Al Ghul! NOW HE'S DEAD!Joker kidnapped Talia! SHE'S DEAD!JOKER'S DEAD!By the time the death orgy was done, I just couldn't care about the supposed emotional payoff. And Clayface is a wild anticlamactic endboss as well.It's still a fun story, but it's got too many problems to rank with the all-time greats.

• Like 1

I just wonder if the game will ever get the credit as being one of the greatest Batman stories ever (serious) because it is in fact a game. 

It's a very good story, but my god does it try to do a big payoff to the point of anticlimax at the end.

It's Hugo Strange! NOPE DEAD!It's Ra's Al Ghul! NOW HE'S DEAD!Joker kidnapped Talia! SHE'S DEAD!JOKER'S DEAD!By the time the death orgy was done, I just couldn't care about the supposed emotional payoff. And Clayface is a wild anticlamactic endboss as well.It's still a fun story, but it's got too many problems to rank with the all-time greats.

To UnholyDragon, it did feel like they tried to cram in a lot of big turning point moments at the end, perhaps to compensate the rather "everything is back to normal" ending of Asylum.  At the same time, the death of Ra's didn't come off as final at all to me.  Considering his body is gone at the end (likely taken by his assassin associates, but for a guy who has a reputation of being immortal, Ra's death was hardly a legit death to me).  If I would've taken back one death, it would've been Talia's.  But I felt Batman was stretched to his breaking point this time in a way the first game did not.  And I think we needed some of that death to get him there.

Anyway, I finally completed all the Riddler physical challenges, Catwoman included and I collected all her loot, so I'm feeling pretty psyched.  Now to the Riddler's Revenge maps.  

Apart from The Long Halloween Batsuit, I'm not liking the suits for Batman: Arkham Origins compared to Batman: Arkham City. I really don't like exclusive content to one console either.

Here's the Batsuits I'd like to see:

The Dark Knight Returns, oval version. In Batman: Arkham City, it was the Bat on it's own.

Batman: Year One

Batman: The Animated Series

The New Batman Adventures

Batman of the Future

Batman Begins

Batman of Zur-En-Arrh

The Dark Knight

Batman: Arkham Asylum/Arkham City

The New 52

• Like 1