DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

I'm actually not in love with the Batmobile either.  It's easy enough to control and all, but it's used a bit too much, and doesn't add much to the game for me.  Also, I'll echo the thoughts about the Riddler stuff, no way I'm 100%'ing this game, and that's fine.

I don't hate the game by any means, but so far, there is nothing about it that is making me want to devote large chunks of time playing it.

I'm actually not in love with the Batmobile either.  It's easy enough to control and all, but it's used a bit too much, and doesn't add much to the game for me.  Also, I'll echo the thoughts about the Riddler stuff, no way I'm 100%'ing this game, and that's fine.

I don't hate the game by any means, but so far, there is nothing about it that is making me want to devote large chunks of time playing it.

Thanks for your review so far. What do you think about the other Arkham games again?

Challenge Mode question I'll put into spoiler tags to be safe:

Reading around, is it true challenge mode/challenge maps when you choose a character (in Arkham Asylum you could only play as Batman, you have a choice of four in Arkham City) and a challenge aren't in Batman: Arkham Knight? Surprised if that's the case as its an Arkham tradition. Both fun and frustrating.

I think I made the right choice to wait for the GOTY edition because I loved Asylum but did not enjoy City. The tighter design in Asylum really added to the sense of creepiness and claustrophobia. City was too busy and some of the Riddler trophy stuff wasn't any fun, which is something that I did really enjoy in Asylum. 

Knight seems like they went the City route rather than the Asylum route and threw more, more, more into the game when sometimes, less is more.

I did spoil the true ending of the game on Youtube and, uh, woof. Not the direction that I would have gone. 

This game gave me four heart attacks with some cheap scares.

-First Joker in Ace chemicals
-Then Batman when playing as Gordon
-Fucking Man-bat
-Finally Joker again on top of a rooftop.

I'm in at about 45%, so far really addicted to the game. I like the tone and setting, definitely (so far) a worthy successor to the original two games.

• Like 2

Thanks for your review so far. What do you think about the other Arkham games again?

Not sure if this is a facetious question or not, but I love all the other games in the series.

Seems like they favored better boss fights in favor of the Batmobile.

It's time to recognize that Arkham Origins actually had great boss fights and some of the best in the series.  We actually got a badass fight with Deathstroke in that game.

• Like 1

It's time to recognize that Arkham Origins actually had great boss fights and some of the best in the series. We actually got a badass fight with Deathstroke in that game.

Arkham Origins patterned their boss fights off the awesome Mr. Freeze fight in City and did some cool varied stuff. If nothing else the game had the most interesting villain roster and best boss fights of the series pre-Knight. I don't get the hate honestly.

• Like 1

It's time to recognize that Arkham Origins actually had great boss fights and some of the best in the series. We actually got a badass fight with Deathstroke in that game.

Arkham Origins patterned their boss fights off the awesome Mr. Freeze fight in City and did some cool varied stuff. If nothing else the game had the most interesting villain roster and best boss fights of the series pre-Knight. I don't get the hate honestly.

That game had no soul. The boss fights were good but they clearly just did the Freeze with henchmen routine that you mention, the story was the shits (that fucking early plot twist killed any joy I got from it), so many goofy run-around missions and plot points, boring sidequests and trophy hunting stuff, clunky combat, glitches everywhere, poor progression design (particularly the predator challenges, as you couldn't complete them after you hit a certain point in the story), among other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. Ah yes, like the relatively weak voice acting. It felt like a cheap cash grab to me. They brought next to nothing new to the table and it seemed like they took City and modded it.

As for Knight:

Holy shit, yeah, both the Joker popping up and man-bat fucking terrified me. As much as I hated Joker playing Black Skull in Origins, I love him taking up residency in Batman's psyche. It plays up the yin-yang connection they have and will lead to a neat conclusion, I think. I'm really enjoying the story so far.

I friggin' love the whole Kirk Langstrom story from the animated series (I don't read too many comics), so all on board with that.

Not so thrilled with Firefly (and that terrible voice actor: so cheesy) making a return.

Just spent a couple of hours playing and I'm liking it more and more.  Don't wanna give the impression that I disliked it in the first place, I think I was just put off a bit by the large scope of it.  It doesn't seem AS huge once you get going though.

That game had no soul. The boss fights were good but they clearly just did the Freeze with henchmen routine that you mention, the story was the shits (that fucking early plot twist killed any joy I got from it), so many goofy run-around missions and plot points, boring sidequests and trophy hunting stuff, clunky combat, glitches everywhere, poor progression design (particularly the predator challenges, as you couldn't complete them after you hit a certain point in the story), among other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. Ah yes, like the relatively weak voice acting. It felt like a cheap cash grab to me. They brought next to nothing new to the table and it seemed like they took City and modded it.

As for Knight:

Holy shit, yeah, both the Joker popping up and man-bat fucking terrified me. As much as I hated Joker playing Black Skull in Origins, I love him taking up residency in Batman's psyche. It plays up the yin-yang connection they have and will lead to a neat conclusion, I think. I'm really enjoying the story so far.

I friggin' love the whole Kirk Langstrom story from the animated series (I don't read too many comics), so all on board with that.

Not so thrilled with Firefly (and that terrible voice actor: so cheesy) making a return.

Yeah, but this game has none of those cool boss fights like from Arkham City apparently, where at least we got Mr. Freeze, Clayface, Ra's Al Ghul, and Solomon Grundy.

Okay I lied, I'm gonna post in here again because I just saw this

Dear Batman: Arkham Knight PC owners,

We want to apologize to those of you who are experiencing performance issues with Batman: Arkham Knight on PC. We take these issues very seriously and have therefore decided to suspend future game sales of the PC version while we work to address these issues to satisfy our quality standards.  We greatly value our customers and know that while there are a significant amount of players who are enjoying the game on PC, we want to do whatever we can to make the experience better for PC players overall.

Thank you to those players who have already given valuable feedback. We are continuously monitoring all threads posted in the Official Batman: Arkham Knight Community and Steam forums, as well as any issues logged with our Customer Support (support.wbgames.com). If you purchased your copy of the game and are not satisfied with your experience, then we ask for your patience while these issues are resolved. If desired, you can request a refund at help.steampowered.com (Steam refund policies can be found here: http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds)or the retail location where you purchased the game.

The Batman: Arkham fans have continually supported the franchise to its current height of success, and we want to thank you for your patience as we work to deliver an updated version of Batman: Arkham Knight on PC so you can all enjoy the final chapter of the Batman: Arkham series as it was meant to be played.

Source

Last year Assassin's Creed finally came in too broken for a video game, but I didn't expect anyone would ever have to do a thing like this.