DVDVR Message Board

MARCH PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

WOW. I NEVER KNEW HE DID THAT.

Edit, found this on MA Gateway: "The change was in Greensboro on Thanksgiving 1980, but believe it or not, in most of the towns for about a week after we won the belts…people didn’t want me to take the mask off. They didn’t want to know what I looked like. There was a lot of mystery behind it…people could see my eyes and use their imaginations beyond that. I did take the mask off, but I put it right back on…very few people saw who I was. It didn’t really affect anything. A lot of people around ringside told me they didn’t even look.  But there again, I made a promise to the fans in a number of towns that I would take my mask off win or lose. If I wouldn’t have followed through and done it, they would have never believed me after that. Afterward, I often got asked why I unmasked and my response was that I promised the people that I’d do it, and I think that always stuck in their minds."

That says more about the art of professional wrestling than maybe anything I've ever read.

• Like 1

tumblr_msoex7up861sg99p0o3_1280.png

tumblr_msoex7up861sg99p0o2_1280.png

Rick always had spectacularly goofy tights. I wish I could find a good image of his street sign ensemble...

I always wonder if it was Rude himself who came up with the designs. I don't doubt the number, cuz I really can't remember ever seeing the same pair twice in TV appearances.