DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I updated my website with some additional WCW & WWE Contracts if anyone is curious.

https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/mookieghana-prowrestlingstatistics/wwe_contracts

Corporate Officers (SEC Filings): Shane McMahon, Vince McMahon, Linda McMahon, Paul Levesque (Triple H), Stephanie McMahon, Jim Ross

Booking Contracts from Lawsuits: Brock Lesnar (2003), Chris Kanyon (2002), Mike Sanders (2001), Raven (2000), Ultimate Warrior (1987), Ultimate Warrior (1992), Ultimate Warrior (1996), Jeremy Borash, Sonny Onoo

Good companion material to the new Fighting Spirit Magazine article (Issue 104) all about the Ultimate Warrior-WWE lawsuit(s) by Bix.

Huh, I never heard about the Kanyon, Sanders, Raven or Borash lawsuits.  Anyone know what they were about?

As many have said about the Big Show, he's a special attraction working in the world of endless live-programming.

The same can be said for a Henry or a Big E. It is very difficult to keep your big man aura when you are featured on tv week after week bouncing from feud to feud.

Right now, Big E has it the worst because he's young and has not fully-mastered his promo work and in-ring style.

Plus he's IC champion, which is pretty much the kiss of death these days.

Kanyon, Sanders, Raven were challenging over the independent contractor thing

From the link provided in the post.

In October 2008, as part of WWE's response to the lawsuit, the booking contracts for all three wrestlers were included as exhibits of WWE's motion to dismiss.

I am assuming Borash's might have come out as part of the TNA vs. WWE lawsuit. Or... Borash had to file suit to collect unpaid royalties. 

Since Chris didn't specify on that one - I am just guessing there

I can't think of a more disparate reaction I've had between two matches with the same guys in them.

HHH/Randy Orton (LMS No Mercy 07 vs. WM 25)

Also, random observation... I was looking through the old NXT show lineups (when it was a competition), and although the winners flamed out big time, each of the first three seasons gave us a top tier star. The worked voting really couldn't have been much worse for picking future stars.

Season 1: Wade Barrett - Daniel Bryan

Season 2: Kaval - Husky Harris/Bray Wyatt

Season 3: Kaitlyn - AJ

Season 4 continued the trend of retrospectively terrible winners (Johnny Curtis), but no one worth a damn came from that show either.

I don't know if you can call what happened to Wade fizzling out. Back in 2010, he was the best surprise in ages and came from bum fuck no where. His matches kinda blew, but who cares when you got the most heat in the company.

Then they killed all his heat to job to Big Show and fucking Zeke in 2011.

Then repackaged him twice since and half assed it. He didn't even make the Rumble and doesn't look to be in the Andre thing at WM.

Yet, there's no room for a tall, handsome, & charismatic fuck who can talk because guys like ADR and Christan are still around. Hell, Wade's gimmick is to talk shit. Even a three year old could know that some needs to shut him up.

• Like 1

The rest of the NXT crew:

Season 1:  Ryback got a good push for a while and is now in a midcard tag team.  Gabriel/Slater/Darren are jobbers, Otunga is MIA, Tarver is long gone.

Season 2:  Curtis Axel's in the midcard with Ryback after a brief push as a Heyman guy.  Alex Riley's a commentator.  Percy/Eli/Lucky Cannon are long gone.  Titus was green as grass but rebounded well; now he's a midcard heel.

Season 3:  Naomi's doing well but seems to be lost in the Total Divas shuffle; disappointed they're not doing AJ-Naomi one-on-one in favor of their new "get EVERYONE on the show" mentality.  Aksana's...still around.  Maxine and Jamie are long gone.

Season 4:  Bateman was a pleasant surprise in the personality department, but WWE did nothing with him and now he's in TNA as EC3.  Brodus had a decent run while it lasted.  Byron's a commentator; Konnor's been in developmental for years, and Jacob Novak is long gone.

I think if he didn't break his arm in that battle royal, his career track would have gone a bit differently.

IIRC he was supposed to be a part of the Cody Rhodes vs Big Show thing at WM that year. I think as a 2 on 1. It seemed at one point they were high on him, they even put him over Orton pretty strongly. 

Big Fresh isn't lying. This is...amazing. It may be the best episode of How Did This Get Made ever.

The Street Fighter, Sleepaway Camp, and Reindeer Games episodes are tough competition.

Now I really want Mantzoukas as a color commentator somewhere. "That match was LITERALLY GARBAGE."

It's not his fault, but Wade does get injured every time they are about to push him hard.  If something happens whenever he gets close to a ring as #BNB, he'll be out the door as soon as he heels.

He's heeling as hard as he can with #BNB

• Like 1

On one hand, WWE blew it was Barrett. On the other hand, he's already a bit of a dinosaur. There are so many great workers on the roster now, I'm not sure where a big guy who is average in the ring but great on the stick fits.

One of the most frustrating thing about the last year or so is that we've gotten almost no dark match/house show footage uploaded.

So do catch this while you can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K6P1ioCgGjY

Probably best to watch with the sound off until the match is over though.

This is super fun.

Man, Seth Rollins has become the next big thing. Dude has the best babyface routine, non-Daniel Bryan division. I also love that he has the Cena spot of closing the show with the mic spot. The Sheild friggin' rule as faces.

On one hand, WWE blew it was Barrett. On the other hand, he's already a bit of a dinosaur. There are so many great workers on the roster now, I'm not sure where a big guy who is average in the ring but great on the stick fits.

Ideally, in a tag team with someone that can go in the ring but sucks on the stick.