DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

With Gorilla Monsoon and now Michael Cole always saying things like "Wrestler A  just hit Wrestler B with his PATENTED move", I always thought it would be funny for a guy to try to sue another guy for using a move they "patented".

When I was a kid, I always wanted there to be a cocky heel wrestler whose gimmick was that he was so good at wrestling, his finishing move was always his opponents "patented move", because he would inevitably be better at applying it than whomever had spent years perfecting it. I think Eugene is the closest that they've ever gotten to using the idea. 

That was (sort of) Damien 666's gimmick in Japan.  He would yell out a wrestler's name and then do the signature move.

With Gorilla Monsoon and now Michael Cole always saying things like "Wrestler A  just hit Wrestler B with his PATENTED move", I always thought it would be funny for a guy to try to sue another guy for using a move they "patented".

Not a lawsuit, but I remember a feud between Brian Kendrick and Jimmy Jacobs involved Kendrick complaining Jacobs had stolen the Sliced Bread #2 (or the Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-Select-Start, as Jacobs called it.)

Don't buy that. I know Valiant is often credited with brilliance for figuring out how to sell merch as heel (45 records that fans would break in front of him and dip in his blood, etc). But faces giving heels a cut, suggests way to much honor among thieves for me to accept.

Is there a heel in the professional wrestling today that can get this kind of reaction? In fact,what does one need to do to work the smarter than thou indy crowd and stir up some real distaste?

You can make a case for Bo Dallas.  After they turned him in NXT, you still had fans chanting "No More Bo!" and turning their backs on him (the smarkiest of smarky reactions) which just played even further into his deluded heel who thinks he's a face act.

I bet they could have sold anti-Bo shirts to that (albeitly small) audience

I think a thing that's missing from wrestling today is the moral outrage that an announcer would have when bad guys were trying to cripple the good guy. Like could you imagine Michael Cole announce Memphis studio wrestling when some face was was getting left in a pool of blood on the floor? It just wouldn't work. But Lance Russel taking the ring hammer and telling Tojo Yamamoto that he might kill him, but he'll get a good lick in before he does.

It's all about narrative and in today's age of every minute detail being scripted just kills that. No one knows how to improvise and roll with the crowds. Cena and Punk can, but other than that if anyone really gets hated by a crowd these days it's pure luck.

I think a thing that's missing from wrestling today is the moral outrage that an announcer would have when bad guys were trying to cripple the good guy. Like could you imagine Michael Cole announce Memphis studio wrestling when some face was was getting left in a pool of blood on the floor? It just wouldn't work. But Lance Russel taking the ring hammer and telling Tojo Yamamoto that he might kill him, but he'll get a good lick in before he does.

It's all about narrative and in today's age of every minute detail being scripted just kills that. No one knows how to improvise and roll with the crowds. Cena and Punk can, but other than that if anyone really gets hated by a crowd these days it's pure luck.

I don't even fix my own spelling or grammar

And I can't for the life of me remember who the fuck PL is

Godspeed, laddo.

Was at the Atlantic City WWE house show last night. Dean Ambrose played Ricky Morton in a Shield vs Wyatts six-man and it was fucking glorious. By the end of the match, he was probably the most-over babyface on the card besides Bryan and Reigns.

I think this was a big problem a few years ago, but not as much anymore. Most of the guys in prominent roles now are very good adapting to live crowds. Cena, Bryan, HHH, The Shield, The Wyatts, Kane, and Cesaro all adapt pretty well on the fly. Orton, Batista, and Sheamus are the only ones who have trouble, although Orton can still knock one out of the park once in a while.

Nikki Bella appears on the ElvisDuran.com Road to WrestleMania XXX podcast. Nikki mentions that Bray Wyatt apologized backstage before he went out and called her plastic on last week's RAW in his promo at John Cena. Nikki added that everyone popped big for the comment backstage.