DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I accept that, I think I was in middle school when it happened. However, I think it's unfair to go back and vilify WWE for something that we probably all enjoyed and that goes for a lot of offensive segments during that era. I doubt we ever see something like that again and for good reason.

Going back to Kerry Von Erich, they very often used his name along with "Texas Tornado".  I remember more than one ppv where Fink said the full name.  Also the 91 Rumble, Vince says the full name in the participant rundown.

I don't want to veer off-topic too much, but in my opinion, there is only one way to have someone dress up in blackface and have it not be offensive (well, at least to me, but I am only one black dude in this world):

1. Have the creator/writer/actor of the content be someone who is pretty clearly not the type of person to be racist.

2. Have the joke that involves blackface be done to make fun of the person dressing up, not the black person or persons being imitated. 

For example, Jenna Maroney singing "Ease on Down the Road" in blackface on 30 Rock fits those two points. Tina Fey is probably not racist, for one, and second, the joke is that Jenna's whole concept of black people is basically from watching The Wiz, which makes the joke about Jenna's ignorance and not black folks.

The problem with the DX skits is that based on the history of WWE (Saba Simba, Kamala) and pro wrestling in general, the company probably won't get the benefit of the doubt in regards to the first point, and in regards to the second point, the blackface was obviously a way to get the crowd to laugh at the NOD and not DX. It's definitely problematic, even if it is chuckleworthy in its own way.

How do you feel about Darrell Hammond's Jesse Jackson?

I havent listened to the corrected JR podcast with Trish, but i presume they did not discuss the "barking like a dog" segment. It. Would be interesting to hear her thoughts on some of the more outrageous stuff she did back then.

I havent listened to the corrected JR podcast with Trish, but i presume they did not discuss the "barking like a dog" segment. It. Would be interesting to hear her thoughts on some of the more outrageous stuff she did back then.

They did discuss it. At length. And yeah, she defends it.

She did talk about it.  She said she enjoyed that, along with the other skits.

I don't want to veer off-topic too much, but in my opinion, there is only one way to have someone dress up in blackface and have it not be offensive (well, at least to me, but I am only one black dude in this world):

1. Have the creator/writer/actor of the content be someone who is pretty clearly not the type of person to be racist.

2. Have the joke that involves blackface be done to make fun of the person dressing up, not the black person or persons being imitated. 

For example, Jenna Maroney singing "Ease on Down the Road" in blackface on 30 Rock fits those two points. Tina Fey is probably not racist, for one, and second, the joke is that Jenna's whole concept of black people is basically from watching The Wiz, which makes the joke about Jenna's ignorance and not black folks.

The problem with the DX skits is that based on the history of WWE (Saba Simba, Kamala) and pro wrestling in general, the company probably won't get the benefit of the doubt in regards to the first point, and in regards to the second point, the blackface was obviously a way to get the crowd to laugh at the NOD and not DX. It's definitely problematic, even if it is chuckleworthy in its own way.

I found the Mizark thing offensive just because it really just X-pac putting on shoeshine polish and talking like Fat Albert. There was nothing about his getup that made you think he was Henry.  The whole skit really pissed me off because there was no comeuppance for it.  All it did was be used as a platform for how "cool and edgy" DX was.  Bah.

Trish said that everyone asks her about it, which means she did her job. Since they knew where the storyline was going, the idea was to generate sympathy for Trish, so that it helped build to Vince getting his comeuppance (or, as Trish says, "upcommance").

TAKE YOUR PANTIES OFF IF YOURE SORRY!

That line is something me and my friends often use

I bet you get laid like EVERY TIME with that one.

I'm trying it tonight.

Fair play to Trish if she's cool with that segment, but let's be honest, people don't remember it because it effectively generated sympathy for her. I mean, there may have been people reaching for the tissues for Trish during that segment, but in a different way entirely.

• Like 1

TAKE YOUR PANTIES OFF IF YOURE SORRY!

That line is something me and my friends often use

I bet you get laid like EVERY TIME with that one.

I'm trying it tonight.

My friends are dudes but whatever makes you happy, brother

She did talk about it.  She said she enjoyed that, along with the other skits.

I found the Mizark thing offensive just because it really just X-pac putting on shoeshine polish and talking like Fat Albert. There was nothing about his getup that made you think he was Henry.  The whole skit really pissed me off because there was no comeuppance for it.  All it did was be used as a platform for how "cool and edgy" DX was.  Bah.

I think that is a bigger problem with Attitude era WWF as a whole though.  I'm noticing that the bloom is off the rose for alot of the folks that grew up in that era thanks to the Network.  Most of that shit is embarrassing and hard to sit through for a number of reasons, and without any context, none of it makes a lick a sense.  They did shit just to be doin' it back then.  Fuck a 1999.

What I learned from Total Divas just now: 

Nattie is a drunk and a phony.

Nikki whines because Cena fucks with her head. Also, she cannot pronounce "mercury".

Brie is sick of Nikki's shit. And DBry is bored with it, too.

Daniel Bryan has a bus.

Eva Marie is dumb.

Jimmy Uso is cool as the other side of my pillow.

Eva's douche-bag husband made a massive face turn, and now I like him.