DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I can't think of a more disparate reaction I've had between two matches with the same guys in them. 

HHH/Randy Orton (LMS No Mercy 07 vs. WM 25)

Also, random observation... I was looking through the old NXT show lineups (when it was a competition), and although the winners flamed out big time, each of the first three seasons gave us a top tier star. The worked voting really couldn't have been much worse for picking future stars.

Season 1: Wade Barrett - Daniel Bryan 

Season 2: Kaval - Husky Harris/Bray Wyatt

Season 3: Kaitlyn - AJ

Season 4 continued the trend of retrospectively terrible winners (Johnny Curtis), but no one worth a damn came from that show either.

I think Kaval's the only one who 'flamed out bigtime' out of the bunch. Kaitlyn was doing fine but decided wrestling wasn't for her, and Wade's still working a solid midcard act and can probably be rehabilitated into main event status if the old guard ever goes away.

Roughly half of each season's roster is still around, which isn't bad I suppose.

Having avoided all of the NXT competitions because of the negative reviews online at the time, recently I went back and watched some clips of the first couple of seasons and my god was Kaitlyn fucking GREAT. Considering 95% of all other NXT contestants ever came off as hokey, fake, awkward, or irritating, Kaitlyn was a superstar. So much personality, charisma and genuine likeablity. Too bad that didn't carry over to the main show.

For whatever reason the runners up on reality shows always become the bigger stars.

When was the last time you heard about Rueben Stoddard, or Justin whatshisname from the first couple of seasons of American Idol?

Having avoided all of the NXT competitions because of the negative reviews online at the time, recently I went back and watched some clips of the first couple of seasons and my god was Kaitlyn fucking GREAT. Considering 95% of all other NXT contestants ever came off as hokey, fake, awkward, or irritating, Kaitlyn was a superstar. So much personality, charisma and genuine likeablity. Too bad that didn't carry over to the main show.

It's a little hard for personality to show when they get promoted and the first thing they tell them is "we loved everything you did down there. Don't ever do it again".

Big E is a prime example of this. He should be demanding FIVE counts and such but instead he just mopes around and they have him sit at ring side trying to look interested.

• Like 1

Nice!  Too bad it wasn't the super cool Brock onesie that has the "Eat, Sleep, Poop, Repeat" on the front

Fuck a onesie - I would buy that T-shirt today

• Like 4

Here's a thing about the Big E. "I Want Five" thing -- it makes sense on NXT because he was a dominant champion and so much bigger than the rest of the roster. But on the main roster, he's big but anything like Big Show or Mark Henry or Cesaro or Cena or Luke Harper or about 10,000 other guys. On top of it, who do you have him do the five to? There's only so many times he can wrestle 3MB or Justin Gabriel or what have you. You really want him to do the five count spot to someone like Dolph or ADR or Kofi or the other really valuable mid-card acts -- dudes who have a lot of respectability and are great at getting other guys over, yes, but you don't want them squashed dead forever.

Dude on NXT wasn't as good a promo as everyone thinks, either. He's great on Twitter and the like but hasn't translated that to actual on-screen wrestling.

• Like 1

As many have said about the Big Show, he's a special attraction working in the world of endless live-programming.

The same can be said for a Henry or a Big E. It is very difficult to keep your big man aura when you are featured on tv week after week bouncing from feud to feud.

Right now, Big E has it the worst because he's young and has not fully-mastered his promo work and in-ring style.

I updated my website with some additional WCW & WWE Contracts if anyone is curious.

https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/mookieghana-prowrestlingstatistics/wwe_contracts

Corporate Officers (SEC Filings): Shane McMahon, Vince McMahon, Linda McMahon, Paul Levesque (Triple H), Stephanie McMahon, Jim Ross

Booking Contracts from Lawsuits: Brock Lesnar (2003), Chris Kanyon (2002), Mike Sanders (2001), Raven (2000), Ultimate Warrior (1987), Ultimate Warrior (1992), Ultimate Warrior (1996), Jeremy Borash, Sonny Onoo

Good companion material to the new Fighting Spirit Magazine article (Issue 104) all about the Ultimate Warrior-WWE lawsuit(s) by Bix.

Huh, I never heard about the Kanyon, Sanders, Raven or Borash lawsuits.  Anyone know what they were about?

As many have said about the Big Show, he's a special attraction working in the world of endless live-programming.

The same can be said for a Henry or a Big E. It is very difficult to keep your big man aura when you are featured on tv week after week bouncing from feud to feud.

Right now, Big E has it the worst because he's young and has not fully-mastered his promo work and in-ring style.

Plus he's IC champion, which is pretty much the kiss of death these days.

Kanyon, Sanders, Raven were challenging over the independent contractor thing

From the link provided in the post.

In October 2008, as part of WWE's response to the lawsuit, the booking contracts for all three wrestlers were included as exhibits of WWE's motion to dismiss.

I am assuming Borash's might have come out as part of the TNA vs. WWE lawsuit. Or... Borash had to file suit to collect unpaid royalties. 

Since Chris didn't specify on that one - I am just guessing there

I can't think of a more disparate reaction I've had between two matches with the same guys in them.

HHH/Randy Orton (LMS No Mercy 07 vs. WM 25)

Also, random observation... I was looking through the old NXT show lineups (when it was a competition), and although the winners flamed out big time, each of the first three seasons gave us a top tier star. The worked voting really couldn't have been much worse for picking future stars.

Season 1: Wade Barrett - Daniel Bryan

Season 2: Kaval - Husky Harris/Bray Wyatt

Season 3: Kaitlyn - AJ

Season 4 continued the trend of retrospectively terrible winners (Johnny Curtis), but no one worth a damn came from that show either.

I don't know if you can call what happened to Wade fizzling out. Back in 2010, he was the best surprise in ages and came from bum fuck no where. His matches kinda blew, but who cares when you got the most heat in the company.

Then they killed all his heat to job to Big Show and fucking Zeke in 2011.

Then repackaged him twice since and half assed it. He didn't even make the Rumble and doesn't look to be in the Andre thing at WM.

Yet, there's no room for a tall, handsome, & charismatic fuck who can talk because guys like ADR and Christan are still around. Hell, Wade's gimmick is to talk shit. Even a three year old could know that some needs to shut him up.

• Like 1

The rest of the NXT crew:

Season 1:  Ryback got a good push for a while and is now in a midcard tag team.  Gabriel/Slater/Darren are jobbers, Otunga is MIA, Tarver is long gone.

Season 2:  Curtis Axel's in the midcard with Ryback after a brief push as a Heyman guy.  Alex Riley's a commentator.  Percy/Eli/Lucky Cannon are long gone.  Titus was green as grass but rebounded well; now he's a midcard heel.

Season 3:  Naomi's doing well but seems to be lost in the Total Divas shuffle; disappointed they're not doing AJ-Naomi one-on-one in favor of their new "get EVERYONE on the show" mentality.  Aksana's...still around.  Maxine and Jamie are long gone.

Season 4:  Bateman was a pleasant surprise in the personality department, but WWE did nothing with him and now he's in TNA as EC3.  Brodus had a decent run while it lasted.  Byron's a commentator; Konnor's been in developmental for years, and Jacob Novak is long gone.