DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

If we're sharing random Bob Backlund memories, here are a couple of mine.

--I met him at a Smackdown taping in 2000.  It was when he was claiming to run for president.  He didn't appear on the show but they let him set up a merch booth.  He would posr for a picture if you bought one of his 8 x 10's.  Which, of course, duh, I did.  So I posed for my picture, then my friend did the same.  My friend ended up getting put in the crossface chicken wing.  Being jealous, I asked to be out in it.  I didn't get a photo of it unfortunately, but the feeling I walked away with was how he could have torn my neck and shoulder to shreds with just a little pressure.  He put it on just snug enough to let you know, and I had his forearm tightly across my chin.  Pretty cool.  And honestly, either the guy is the greatest actor of all time, or he's just not all there.  Even "out of character", he just seems.......off. 

Maaaaaan, I fucked my little brother up with a Chicken Wing. We had to ban that shit from our Living Room Wrestling Federation. 

I lost by disqualification a lot.

• Like 2

I never found Madusa to be very good unless she was working Bull Nakano or Aja Kong, honestly.  Her matches with Hokuto were kind of disappointing.

To be fair, by the point Madusa was having her big run of matches against Hokuto, Hokuto was just doing them beacuse Kensuke was working matches in the US, and she was looking to retire, so its not like Hokuto was really trying unless it was against one of her BFF's.

The moment Zack Ryder banged on that wall and it became clear that he was failing to muster up that Serious Business Fire that he was going for, is the exact  moment that video went from being good to sad.

I'm pretty sure the last time I watched Zack Ryder wrestle was when he won that belt.

I've seen plenty since then, but I agree that i'm just not sure he has 'serious heel guy' in him. And, in the end, there's just a whole bunch of guys in NXT who deserve a shot on the main show more than Ryder deserves a fourth run. I'd rather see Corey Graves, and I'm not even sure I like Corey Graves.

Zack Ryder as a manager in tights might work. This disgruntled employees stable needs less Dolph Ziggler and more Mark Henry though.

Ryder feels like a guy who should be in a tag team. Is there anyone in NXT who would make sense as his partner?

Or maybe he can be paired with Darren Young. That sounds like the sort of tag team that could be losing two-on-one handicap matches to Alexander Rusev a couple of months from now.

Yes she was a good worker.

I mean she trained with All Japan Women for like 3 years in the late 80s/early 90s - it's not like they handed those out to anyone (especially non-Japanese girls)

If you are basing it on a match in 97 - then I can see why you say that as that was when she was starting to end her career (and do more training)

And are you sure it was Superbrawl?

I don't see a Madusa/Luna match on any Superbrawl card - let alone 1997

EDIT - Do you mean Slamboree 1997?

Yes! Sorry, watched them both the same day and got them crossed in my mind.  I'll see what else the Net has on her and likely not report back

Like RandomAct mentioned - Madusa best work is against Japanese opponents. Of course it is hard to have bad matches against Bull Nakano and Aja Kong

I just had my second ever wrestling related dream.  It was pretty much just a nightmare with a wrestler in it.

Apparently Brock Lesnar was hitting on my wife and I had to, like confront him about it...so it was sort of just a death dream.  She was, like, tutoring people or something and for some reason one of the people she had to tutor was Brock Lesnar who, in my dream much like in real life showed serious signs of the same kind of "simpleton psycopathy" as that guy "Todd" from BREAKING BAD.

So my wife became his Lydia and he started pawing at her one day.  She told me...and I spent the rest of the dream envisioning (so, yes, daydreaming within a dream) what was going to happen to me when I confronted him and trying to come up with a convoluted Walter White-esque plan. 

As I woke up I was weighing the option of just giving her to him, along with the keys to my house, and leaving town forever. 

I suppose in real life I would have called Mark Henry, but that would cause a whole new set of problems.

• Like 2

The moment Zack Ryder banged on that wall and it became clear that he was failing to muster up that Serious Business Fire that he was going for, is the exact  moment that video went from being good to sad.

I'm pretty sure the last time I watched Zack Ryder wrestle was when he won that belt.

I've seen plenty since then, but I agree that i'm just not sure he has 'serious heel guy' in him. And, in the end, there's just a whole bunch of guys in NXT who deserve a shot on the main show more than Ryder deserves a fourth run. I'd rather see Corey Graves, and I'm not even sure I like Corey Graves.

Zack Ryder as a manager in tights might work. This disgruntled employees stable needs less Dolph Ziggler and more Mark Henry though.

Ryder feels like a guy who should be in a tag team. Is there anyone in NXT who would make sense as his partner?

Or maybe he can be paired with Darren Young. That sounds like the sort of tag team that could be losing two-on-one handicap matches to Alexander Rusev a couple of months from now.

Reunite him with Hawkins.