DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Watching Summerslam 1990. Why on earth did Vince not give Kerry a manager to speak for him? Was it that the babyface never gets a manager?

Also, why change his name? Vince didn't change Dusty or Flair's names - presumably because he figured he could sell more tickets with her famous names. With that not have been the same thing with Von Erich as a name?

I really think the 'wrestler impersonates their rival' bit is overused, and rarely funny. What would be considered the best ones? One that I thought was really great is Kurt Angle as Shawn Michaels, when he puts Sherri in the anklelock. He got the Shawn entrance down perfectly.

I usually suck at the future endeavored threads because I see money in almost everyone on the roster. I sincerely believe they are underutilizing Kingston and Ryder because they fit more into a kid-oriented product.

The Zekes/Bournes probably have fairly low downside guarantees so it costs them next to nothing to keep them around.

I read somewhere they're considering throwing Ryder in when the Miz/Ziggler team of "disgruntled guys" get going. 

I love Arn Anderson, but Nash as Double A is fucking classic. I never skip over it when I watch the first best of Nitro dvd. Everybody else in that skit, not so classic.

I also really like Road Dogg as D'Lo. Geniunely one of the funniest things to ever happen in wrestling. And Jason Sensation's Owen is spot on. Didn't he do other impersonations besides Owen?

I love Arn Anderson, but Nash as Double A is fucking classic. I never skip over it when I watch the first best of Nitro dvd. Everybody else in that skit, not so classic.

I also really like Road Dogg as D'Lo. Geniunely one of the funniest things to ever happen in wrestling. And Jason Sensation's Owen is spot on. Didn't he do other impersonations besides Owen?

He did a Shawn Michaels w DX right after Michaels turned heel and joined the Corporation. Pretty funny. Not as good as Owen, but pretty good.

I always thought Road Dogg as D-Lo was by FAR the best part of that skit. X-Pac as Miz-ark gets the point for "most racist." I thought HEnry got to squash X-Pac a few weeks later. MAybe I am misremembering...

I haven't seen near enough talk about Harley Race in March. He did show up in the GIF thread giving the best "I'm too old for this shit reaction" ever.

Harley is the reason for the season.

What makes the Mark Henry bit more racist than the rest? All 4 guys are in black face, XPac just happened to be playing the guy with the darkest skin. To me either all of it is offensive (and I think it is) or none of it is. The thing that bothers me is that they could have done just the costumes and skipped the black face and it would have been just as funny.

• Like 1

I don't want to veer off-topic too much, but in my opinion, there is only one way to have someone dress up in blackface and have it not be offensive (well, at least to me, but I am only one black dude in this world):

1. Have the creator/writer/actor of the content be someone who is pretty clearly not the type of person to be racist.

2. Have the joke that involves blackface be done to make fun of the person dressing up, not the black person or persons being imitated. 

For example, Jenna Maroney singing "Ease on Down the Road" in blackface on 30 Rock fits those two points. Tina Fey is probably not racist, for one, and second, the joke is that Jenna's whole concept of black people is basically from watching The Wiz, which makes the joke about Jenna's ignorance and not black folks.

The problem with the DX skits is that based on the history of WWE (Saba Simba, Kamala) and pro wrestling in general, the company probably won't get the benefit of the doubt in regards to the first point, and in regards to the second point, the blackface was obviously a way to get the crowd to laugh at the NOD and not DX. It's definitely problematic, even if it is chuckleworthy in its own way. 

I could do without seeing a HHH era DX skit on a doc or bestof ever again. They show up all the time and outside of the initial Waltman promo none of it holds up. To make matters worse half the time they'll subject you to a Stephanie McMahon talking head spot about how funny and groundbreaking the stuff was.

It makes me want to smash my tv Foley style.

• Like 1

If that question is directed at me for posting the original comment: actually, I wasn't watching wrestling in that era. I didn't start watching wrestling until 2006, when I was well into my 30s. That's very strange experience, I know, but it happened.

I've worked very hard in the last nine years to catch up with decades of wrestling.

Moving away from the racism topic, which can never end well: seeing Hogan on this week's Raw, it amazes me that whatever you want to say about the guy, he sure has aged better than Piper and Flair have. Not entirely fair, as Roddy had that whole cancer issue going. But it's still amazing.

I'm not going to get into whether its offensive or not but it is odd that we're discussing it now. Where were you during the Attitude Era? My guess is.. enjoying every minute of it...

To be fair, I was also fifteen at the time and I thought that anything offensive was funny and worth doing. 

Going back and watching most of this Attitude Era stuff is difficult now in part because of the creepy sexism and overt racism of some of these skits and angles, but then again, nowadays I find implied or attempted rape not to be something funny that I should cheer cool heels for doing, mostly because I'm not a subhuman monster like many teenagers tend to be.  ;)

• Like 1