DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Here's a strange question for everyone: has wrestling changed over the last three years or so?

I was watching some random PPVs from the past few years on the Network and it seems like the style of wrestling in the WWE feels different and more strike-heavy than it ever has been. Also the match formula for WWE matches have been refined and perfected.

I dunno, and I can't exactly explain it as well as I want to, but mainstream wrestling feels a lot different than it did in the recent past.

Guys like Edge and Michaels retiring helped a lot as they weren't up to much for the last few years of their careers. Guys like Punk, Henry and Bryan are just better workers and Sheamus and Del Rio, despite their shitty gimmicks are up to the task of hanging with them and putting in better performances in their own right. A nice constant is superman John Cena who has been keeping it real since 2007 and somehow seems to be up to the task of keeping up despite his injuries. If you could transplant the Rey Mysterio of 2009 into this current roster, you'd be seeing even crazier main event matches too.

So, yeah, I agree and I think it's fresh guys bringing their game to the main events and the others being given a chance to change it up a bit and work differently.

• Like 1

In the current Observer Meltzer suggests "Mystic-O." Seems like that'd be a wee bit too close, though.

Not after L.A. ParK.

As someone who knows exactly piss-all about how the stock market works, I'd like someone to explain to me how the WWE's biggest show of the year looks completely skippable (except for Taker/Lesnar) and yet WWE's stocks are at $31.01 (aka the highest they've been since the initial IPO). Why can't JBL be a lurker here?

Because the stock has fuck-all to do with booking. It's overvaluated due to the anticipation for a TV deal that isn't coming.

You know it isn't coming how?

Rather it won't be a 300% increase like some are saying based on NASCAR rights.

• Like 1

I think it says a lot about me as a human person when the fact is, it's 4:30 AM, my life is in shambles, and all I can think is "Man, should they have launched the network the same year the TV deals were up?"

You're asking if they should have launched a possible fallback content delivery system that gives them more options before they negotiate a new contract?

I suppose it would be funny if Vince decides he can play hardball and threaten to put everything on the WWE Network if his price isn't met and that leads to Raw and Smackdown being online-only for the next six months.

I think it says a lot about me as a human person when the fact is, it's 4:30 AM, my life is in shambles, and all I can think is "Man, should they have launched the network the same year the TV deals were up?"

You're asking if they should have launched a possible fallback content delivery system that gives them more options before they negotiate a new contract?

I suppose it would be funny if Vince decides he can play hardball and threaten to put everything on the WWE Network if his price isn't met and that leads to Raw and Smackdown being online-only for the next six months.

I hadn't looked at it that way. For some reason, I was fixated on the idea of them drawing the ire of Big Cable being a much bigger roadblock than it actually is. You're being much more sensible than I am.

Gotta give WWE props for letting Bray be Bray and also it's kinda weird of them that even though they are complete opposites that, as of my knowledge they haven't mentioned Bray and Bo being brothers. 

Loving current WWE and with all the change coming in and around the corner it almost feels like late 95 going into 96 WWF.

Cue the debut of Bray's loveable cousin Bo Wyatt any day now. He'll get into all kinds of wacky situations while Bray plays the straight man in the duo. Did I spoil post-Mania?

WWEN isn't a viable fallback option for their primary content.

I'm sure they can throw the threat out there publicly and guys on the Masked Man level will buy it as real, but between losing their biggest/most certain income stream and cutting off the exposure being on cable still provides, they'd be setting themselves up for death if they actually did it. Even a short term stint, for six months or so, could potentially cause significant damage. Universal, Viacom, etc know this.

Seemed like the best place to post this. Is there a website out there's sort of like a wrestling move database or glossary? I'm mainly thinking of something that details all the different names a move has gone under when used by different wrestlers, I dog that sort of stuff.

Seemed like the best place to post this. Is there a website out there's sort of like a wrestling move database or glossary? I'm mainly thinking of something that details all the different names a move has gone under when used by different wrestlers, I dog that sort of stuff.

Nova's Wikipedia page?

• Like 9

I think Bo Dallas should come in stopping the nefarious plans of the Wyatts on a weekly basis, hopefully while teaming up with Phyllis Diller or the GlobeTrotters every time.

I was trying to compare Bo to Scrappy Doo, but it's not quite coming together. Piranesi?

I think Bo Dallas should come in stopping the nefarious plans of the Wyatts on a weekly basis, hopefully while teaming up with Phyllis Diller or the GlobeTrotters every time.

I was trying to compare Bo to Scrappy Doo, but it's not quite coming together. Piranesi?

Scrappy was an annoying little shit. I don't think Bo is that bad.

• Like 1

Allow me to 'Scrappy Doo' Bo Dallas in a few easy steps.

1) Bo joins the Shield.

2) Bo offers to Roman the opportunity to see how to "really" do a spear.

3) Bo compares ear rings with Dean

4) Bo tells Seth he should "Bo-Lieve in the Shield"

5) The rest of the Shield do nothing about any of this.

Allow me to 'Scrappy Doo' Bo Dallas in a few easy steps.

1) Bo joins the Shield's mail order fan club.

2) Bo offers to Roman the opportunity to see how to "really" do a spear on Brock Lesnar.  He dies.

3) Bo compares ear rings with Dean's new Fox news anchor babe/lover/apostle.

4) Bo tells Seth he should "Bo-Lieve that this really is all of his lunch money please just take it".

5) The rest of the Shield do not notice any of this.

Minor edits.

• Like 2