DVDVR Message Board

Reed

Yeah, in the novels, Jack at least knows when to let people like Will Graham and Clarice Starling handle the heavy lifting.

If this series is ever cancelled, I hope it happens after they finish Silence of the Lambs.  Hannibal The Novel was bad enough as a novel and a movie; having it done over the course of a 12 episode season would really suck.

Fuller would make it better.

Not that it matters! As of the last update, the show still doesn't have the rights to Clarice, and it'll be canceled before they even get close to season 6 anyway!

Yay, life!

Crawford and Will are not dumb.  They also have the resources of the FBI at their disposal.  Hannibal is brilliant but as you paraphrased, he is also batshit insane and extremely smug and underestimates his opposition.  That's why he will get caught. 

Will, no.

But Jack Crawford will forever be the guy who arrested a crippled vegan with a cane for being a super tough cannibalistic serial killer.

Who had all the evidence pointing to him. By the time he actually caught Chilton Jack seemed to realize how off he was, but there really wasn't anything he could do about it.

Yeah, but after Will, it was clear the ripper liked framing people. Will and Chilton both warned him previous to everything going down that something like that was bound to happen. And the whole notion was laughably absurd: Aside from physical disabilities, Chilton was recovering in the hospital after Gideon's attack when at least two of murders occurred.

That Jack took it seriously in the first place is a pretty damning indictment of him. Granted, he finally did figure it but not before his actions cost (nearly cost?) Chilton his life.

I don't know if its purely to further the plot, but this version of Jack Crawford is reckless and alarmingly inept. and we know that, despite what happened with Miriam, he's still going to send Clarice Hannibal's way one day.

He's very dislikable, IMO. Arrogant, but with no real reason to be.

Will was picturing Bloom while he was banging Margo. I think the two scenes being blended together is a not exactly subtle way of visualizing how intertwined the three are.

I really hope Will is conning Hannibal, but given the preview for the rest of the season, I don't think that's likely.

I really hope Will is conning Hannibal, but given the preview for the rest of the season, I don't think that's likely.

That's the brilliance of the show. They essentially told us, explicitly, that Will is going deep cover to catch Hannibal...but yet they can still tell the story so that you have a shadow of a doubt about that.

I'm thinking Will killed Randall in self-defense, called Jack, and Jack gave his blessing for him to imply to Lecter he'd murdered him.

Freddie's probably being held somewhere safe. Like Chilton, maybe. 

I'm stuck on

who is in the flaming wheelchair.

Well, the obvious guess is:

Freddie Lounds, since that scene was in the "Red Dragon" novel and both of the films based on Red Dragon. That seems a little too obvious, though, and Fuller's already shown he's not going to follow the previously established continutity.

I'm curious to see that scene. I'm going to guess it isn't Lounds, but if it isn't, would they really do that scene with another victim? It's a fairly well-known scene thanks to the two movies. And, evev though the timeline is wrong, the trajectory of Lounds storyline does somewhat mirror what is happening in Hannibal. In the book, Lounds gets in over his head by misreading people - especially Will. He never really understands the serial killers' insanity, or figures out that Will is the de facto good guy. He gets killed after Will uses him to get at the serial killer by giving him an interview full of false info. The interview drives the serial killer - the Tooth Fairly - berserk and he kidnaps, torturesm and kills Lounds. It's not too hard to draw some paralellls between that and Will using Freddie to get at Hannibal.

That said, I'm skeptical that the show is going to use Will to off that particular character - either directly or indirectly.

Freddie is a lot like Chilton in that her character is so different from in the books/TV show, they're essentially different people.

This version of Freddie is not stupid. Fuck, she's smarter than Alana and most of the FBI because she found out, with minimal research, that there was basically no way Chilton could have been ripper. She also wants justice for Abigail and made it clear to Will. I can't say she's in over her head. Honestly, she's probably way too good to be just some sleazy tabloid blogger.

She probably will get off'd at some point, but I think the circumstances will be different.

Yea for season 3. 

The capsule description in my local paper for tonight's ep says something along the lines of "the truth about Freddie Lounds.

If she isn't dead and Will is simply gaslighting Hannibal, I hope they have a decent reason Will would smash her window and drag her out of the car by her hair.  I thought that scene went a little far unless Will really was considering killing her.  Surely Hannibal had no way to be observing Will, so there would be no reason to be that brutal.  Jack and Will could surely fake up the crime scene later,

Unless Will really is becoming more unbalanced (doubtful, imo), it's going to end up one of those scenes staged for the audience, where the characters act illogically to misdirect the audience.

If she isn't dead and Will is simply gaslighting Hannibal, I hope they have a decent reason Will would smash her window and drag her out of the car by her hair.  I thought that scene went a little far unless Will really was considering killing her.  Surely Hannibal had no way to be observing Will, so there would be no reason to be that brutal.  Jack and Will could surely fake up the crime scene later,

Unless Will really is becoming more unbalanced (doubtful, imo), it's going to end up one of those scenes staged for the audience, where the characters act illogically to misdirect the audience.

The plan wasn't in place yet. If she spills the beans about what is in Will ' s freezer to Jack, Jack has to act on it. Will freaked because his best shot at getting Hannibal was about to blow up in his face.

I don't think there's any need to spoiler that. Yeah, Jack has absolutely been in on everything the whole time. At least since the episode that opened with him and Will fishing.

Freddie's flaming wheelchair fakeout was another great example of the show adding subtextual symmetry to something that happens later in the books. Obviously Hannibal isn't going to be happy when he finds out he got worked on that one.