DVDVR Message Board

Reed

They did show explicitly it went through his cheek...so maybe he could come back.

Anyway. it's been known for a while Hannibal wasn't going to be 100% canon, so Chilton could be dead. Furthermore, Fuller might not even be able to get the rights to Silence of the Lambs or Clarice, in which case they'll have to go in a drastically different direction. I felt they've been preparing Miriam as a potential replacement, but who knows?

Best to think of it as Fuller adapting the characters, rather than the actual story.

I'm just going to choose to BELIEVE he survived until they show me a body on a slab. I'm going to BELIEVE that the only reason Will intimated to Hannibal that he was dead is because he has turned the tables and is now playing a long con on him and we'll eventually find out Chilton was alive all along.

I can't think of any way he could convince Crawford to do that, but that's what I'm going with. Dammit.

If Jack HASN'T come around to Will's side by now he is too inept for words.

Come on, there is absolutely no way Chilton could have been the ripper. The man hasn't even been able to eat meat for several months. Besides, he was about as likely to be a genius serial killer as one of Will's dogs. Even Jack has to know something is up. 

Man I felt so sorry for poor Chilton. He got set up bad.

If Jack HASN'T come around to Will's side by now he is too inept for words.

Come on, there is absolutely no way Chilton could have been the ripper. The man hasn't even been able to eat meat for several months. Besides, he was about as likely to be a genius serial killer as one of Will's dogs. Even Jack has to know something is up. 

I'm thinking Jack realized it when he actually arrested him. He went from super pissed and looking for an excuse to shoot Chilton to confused with how Chilton gave up.

I continue to be surprised at how inept Jack is at his job.  This week, he probably helped get an innocent man killed and let a traumatized woman take his gun and shoot (presumably kill) a prisoner in his custody.

I'm wanting Fishburne to stay with the show, but, at some point, the fallout from all of this has to cost Jack his job, doesn't it?

I continue to be surprised at how inept Jack is at his job.  This week, he probably helped get an innocent man killed and let a traumatized woman take his gun and shoot (presumably kill) a prisoner in his custody.

I'm wanting Fishburne to stay with the show, but, at some point, the fallout from all of this has to cost Jack his job, doesn't it?

Not to mention continually encouraging people like Miriam and Beverly to ignore the rules...pretty much leading to tragedy. Oh, and he went to a potential crime scene totally by himself last week.

It reminds me a bit of The Following. Yes, I understand the FBI can't be 100% right all the time because then there's no story potential, but Jack is coming off as laughably incompetent.

Even if he survives, I imagine a bullet to the face will make it harder to scowl or look smug. Will Chilton have any facial expressions left?

Showrunners need to take note.  The best plot twist this season might be Will calmly showing up at Hannibal's door and announcing that he's ready to resume his therapy.   Really unexpected and exciting.  Much more effective than the couple dozen fake deaths and disasters we'll see next month during May sweeps (ugh.  Even sitcoms do season-ending cliffhangers now.  Why?)

I've not been as huge a fan of the show as a lot of people, but it's slowly grown on me.  It's going to be extremely satisfying watching Will and Jack reveal Hannibal (and hopefully take him down.  I could see Hannibal escaping from Jack and going on the run next season, but that seems to take Mikkelsen out of the show somewhat).  Especially for Jack, whose contribution to the show thus far has largely been misreading people and screwing the pooch.   Terrible threat assessment from Jack.  I'm even really interested in seeing where they go with Miriam Lass. 

Fuller has said season 4 is going to be Red Dragon. I guess next season is going to be Hannibal on the run, which honestly, I'm not crazy about. I think they'd be better heading straight into Red Dragon.

http://www.avclub.com/article/hannibals-bryan-fuller-hannibal-lecters-grand-desi-203253

Spoilerish interview with Fuller, he seems to hint Chilton is alive.

I didn't buy Chilton's death.  If Hannibal ever covers Silence of the Lambs over two seasons, Chilton would have to be alive because he's a key figure.  I don't think Fuller would be able to execise that much dramatic license over those characters.

Okay, after last night's episode, I'm convinced that Chilton is alive and being hidden somewhere. Which means everyone can get off Jack's damn back about being oblivious! A gambit like that only gets pulled off with him making it happen.

Overall, I wasn't over the moon on this episode, though. The show is usually pretty clever about having the case of the week parallel what's going on in the macro-story, but this one was a tad too on the nose for me, with a very obvious Will stand-in (the great Jeremy Davies, who should be in everything) being patsied by a very obvious Hannibal stand-in.

And even though we all know the stuff with Margot Verger is going somewhere big, those scenes were kind of awkwardly shoehorned in.

I really liked Margot's scenes. Katherine Isabelle came off as very '40s femme fatale.

Hannibal dishing out advice on murder to a patient seems a bit sloppy by his standards. But I'm wondering if they're setting up that he's so distracted by the Vergers he ends up making whatever mistake it is that gets him caught. 

So Hannibal has own Serial Killer Army~!

Interestingly, I think we'll find out soon that Hannibal has been mentoring the killers we've seen throughout season 1 and 2. Which explains why the Baltimore area has all these weirdly creative murders--Hannibal gave them the idea. I doubt he was to blame for ALL of them, because it probably would have come out, but I'm guessing we can link him with a few of them.

Oy. We all understand that a healthy suspension of disbelief is required for enjoying this show, but I feel like dude in the pneumatic bear suit was a bridge too far. It was like something from a different show all together. Did not like.

On the flipside, Margot was integrated into the show much better this week, and I'm extremely interested in where that goes.

Hannibal dishing out advice on murder to a patient seems a bit sloppy by his standards.

Not really.  Truth be told, he's always a bit sloppy. 

Hannibal is a narcicist that enjoys the perverted influence he has on people especially when it comes to pushing people like Jame Gum and Francis Dollarhyde over the edge.. 

His abnormally high opinion of himself is his real weakness because it deludes him to believing he's the smartest man in the room when really he isn't.  Will and Crawford are just as cagey.  Lecter just has the benefit of having a huge head start, while Crawford and Will are barely scratching the surface concerning how big of a monster Lecter really is.

According to some accounts, Lecter's relationship with Dollarhyde ie the training and nurturing of a budding psychopath is what influenced the dynamic between The Joker and Two Face in The Dark Knight.

Crawford and Will are not dumb.  They also have the resources of the FBI at their disposal.  Hannibal is brilliant but as you paraphrased, he is also batshit insane and extremely smug and underestimates his opposition.  That's why he will get caught. 

In Red Dragon (the book), Hannibal really does think that even with him "advising" Will and "helping the investigation," Will will never put two and two together and figure out that the reason that he cannot frind the Ripper is because he'd being fed misinformation by Hannibal and Hannibal is so full of himself that he believes he will never be caught.

Crawford and Will are not dumb.  They also have the resources of the FBI at their disposal.  Hannibal is brilliant but as you paraphrased, he is also batshit insane and extremely smug and underestimates his opposition.  That's why he will get caught. 

Will, no.

But Jack Crawford will forever be the guy who arrested a crippled vegan with a cane for being a super tough cannibalistic serial killer.