DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Passed my first major test yesterday on the road to recovery. Was being aided by a temporary balloon pump that some of the docs weren't sure I could survive without.

It got taken out yesterday, and while I'm not feeling 100%, I'm not getting sick either.

• Like 19

Went with my dad to his last doctor's appointment. They were worried because his white cell counts had dropped so low they had to stop chemo. They took him off some medicine he was taking and this was a follow up to see how it was working. Counts are back up nicely, chemo to resume shortly and dad says he feels better than he's felt in a couple of years (in fact if doctor's weren't telling him he had cancer he wouldn't think he was even sick at all). Still a long way to go (they're searching for a bone marrow donor now and the expense is killing his 401K) but the important thing is that he's doing well. Money problems mean shit when compared to life and death.

*edit to add:*

Newb, that's good news, congratulations. Stay positive. 

Eight more car payments to go.  Once that's out of the way, I'll have about three hundred more dollars per month to work with.  Will put a whole lot more toward my credit card debt, that's for sure.

Oh... no one told you?  Rule #1 of car payments - soon as you get it paid off, something epic will break on the car within two weeks.  So don't make any big plans with that extra money yet ;)

• Like 1

Well, of course.  Already had my little hospital visit in April that I'm paying off $50/month at a time, effectively neutralizing the gain I made when my car insurance went down in May.  Life has a way of balancing itself out.

In the case of the car I had before this one, it wasn't even paid off when I got bashed into by somebody who didn't stick around afterwards.  So I'm happy to have made it this far in the payment plan.

On the good side, my '09 Aveo has held up remarkably well with all the mileage I've put on it.  Just hoping it holds out a little bit longer.

So I have a hard time with retaining the interest of women. What'll happen is that we'll talk and joke and have a good time, then at some point I let slip that I make music, and they'll insist on hearing it. Unfortunately my music is about surviving family deaths, an increasingly feeble body, really vivid nightmares, and a succession of abusive relationships. It's pretty bleak and very raw. When they hear it, they soon treat me like I'm a murderer and it's not like I can really blame them. And yet if I'm going to have friends, much less close friends, much less a relationship, they need to know and understand that part of me. I don't have a lot of luck there.

So once again, I run through this cycle with a classmate. Spend the whole weekend going "man what a fucking horrific idea that was, why do you do this, it only ends the one way."

After the next class, she comes up to me and not only tells me she likes it, but what exactly she liked about it.

Somehow I did not scream, shit myself, and die. That qualifies this for the good news thread.

• Like 5

Managed to sneak in a round of golf during the final week of October up here in the great white north, which is a new record for latest round of golf I have ever played. Beers, friends, a sunny afternoon, and I even made a birdie. Winter can start whenever it wants, I am ready now.

Got the word from my dad's doctor today that there are multiple perfect matches from anonymous donors for his bone marrow type. Huge relief because had nobody matched, his best chance would have been me or my sister (a 50% match)

• Like 3

Damn Canadians and their unholy love for white stuff covering the ground. ;-)

Look, it's not cocaine, it's fucking snow!!!

Hey, I'm Canadian, and I'm firmly of the belief that since the the invention of indoor hockey rinks there's been absolutely no need for either snow or cold weather.

Unfortunately, I don't have much say in the matter.

Damn Canadians and their unholy love for white stuff covering the ground. ;-)

Look, it's not cocaine, it's fucking snow!!!

I've always hated winter, but after working in Pest Control for a year I can't fucking wait until it's really cold and most of the insects are gone for awhile.