DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

I use an, um, esoteric and oft-maligned* MP3 player and it's starting to lose pixels. I've been worried about it dying because I can't find a single new MP3 player that has the same amount of space with a value without just being a fucking apple thing. I do not want itunes, ever, under any circumstances.

Then I find out that Amazon has like forty sellers that just sell the dang thing for like $60. Score.

*the original zune.**

**shut up. it's 30GB, it's lasted 7 years, and I got it for free. you do better.

Good for you, I'd listen, but I'm little out of range. . . lol

Ramsey, does your radio station have an website with an on air programming feed? Some do. That's how I can sometimes catch my Jaguar games here in Ohio.

Indeed it does. Click the "listen live" link here: http://1031theedge.com/

• Like 1

I use an, um, esoteric and oft-maligned* MP3 player and it's starting to lose pixels. I've been worried about it dying because I can't find a single new MP3 player that has the same amount of space with a value without just being a fucking apple thing. I do not want itunes, ever, under any circumstances.

Then I find out that Amazon has like forty sellers that just sell the dang thing for like $60. Score.

*the original zune.**

**shut up. it's 30GB, it's lasted 7 years, and I got it for free. you do better.

Shocking as it is that someone replacing his 7 year-old Zune might have been unaware in the advances of Internet commerce...

(I kid I kid)

Represented an Iraqi War Combat veteran last year on what was probably one of the worst cases I've ever seen.  After a long night of drinking, the defendant allegedly beat up his girlfriend, choked her unconscious.  Some guys tried to intervene, so he pulled a shotgun on them and chased after them.  He had them at gunpoint when the cops arrived, where he promptly threatened to kill the officers too.  We have a veteran's court that's supposed to help out with veterans who have trouble reintegrating back into society, but even with my guy's diagnosis of severe PTSD, they didn't want to touch him with a ten foot pole. 

This guy went through some shit in Iraq though.  He was driving his Humvee when he hit a IED, leading to an ambush of machine guns and rocket fire.  He was knocked out for a minute from the blast, and by the time he woke up and was able to drive off, people died.  Almost immediately after that, on foot patrol, he stepped on an another IED.  It didn't blow, but his buddies that came to help him stepped on an IED that did blow.  Shockingly, it led to drinking and drugs that got him kicked out of the military, and back home with some bad addictions.

I got the Agg Assault dismissed and he got a deferred on the rest of the charges.

Thought I was done, but a year later, he got picked up for violating his deferred -- tested positive for marijuana and got kicked out of his anger management class.  He was really facing prison time, and the new prosecutor on the case was very, very angry that I got deferred the last time around.  I tried to go back to Veteran's Court again, but this time they didn't say no, they said HELL NO! and hung up on me.  So, we were headed to a hearing where the judge said flat out to me, "if Veterans' Court doesn't want him, why are we even having this hearing? You know what I'm going to do." meaning, a long prison sentence.

Two days before the meeting, I was talking to an ex-Marine at my BJJ class and he told me about a PTSD camp for vets in my guy's situation.  Residential, anger management, drug treatment, and all that kind of stuff.  Went into the hearing pretty much doomed and walked out with my guy reinstated on his probation, the prosecutor stomping her feet in front of the judge and what feels like one of the biggest wins of my career. 

Of course, its up to him to make it work, but as they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.  Here's to high hopes.

And, also, he paid in full.

• Like 3

Not wanting to be too much of an arsehole, but I'm not entirely sure that falls under the category of good news. I mean, it's a good career achievement for you, but...

Only in America, I guess.

Not wanting to be too much of an arsehole, but I'm not entirely sure that falls under the category of good news. I mean, it's a good career achievement for you, but...

I know what you mean.  You just ask yourself this: what's more important, what he did that one night, or the person as a whole?  

I always subscribe to the belief that everyone is better than they were on their worst day. 

I know what you mean. You just ask yourself this: what's more important, what he did that one night, or the person as a whole?

I always subscribe to the belief that everyone is better than they were on their worst day.

When the "one night" is that bad, yeah, it's more important.

duly noted.  I'll put my successes in the Son of a ~! thread from now on.

I'm not trying to poop on you here.  And I don't want you to feel like you can't celebrate successes.  It's just difficult for the rest of us to see "guy who beats and chokes girlfriend unconscious and then threatens people with a shotgun but gets no jail time" as an unqualified success.  I'm happy for you that you did your job well - and defense attorneys certainly serve a very valid, important purpose - and *I* definitely want you to feel comfortable celebrating that.  This particular example, however, is just a little on the conflicting side.

duly noted.  I'll put my successes in the Son of a ~! thread from now on.

Man, I can't imagine the moral conflicts that must come up in a job like yours. I couldn't do what you do. Having said that, I had a "bad night" once myself (DUI, resisting, assault(dropped), mayhem (an actual charge in ga.)), and I had a phenomenal attorney who helped the jury see I was a good guy who had a really rough night. So I'm glad there are guys like you out there. I have to trust that the vast majority of you don't want killers and rapists on the streets, and trust that it's the government's job to put them there. Cheers to you, man.

• Like 1

Without going into the nuances of your marriage, I hope your wife wasn't seriously talking about you going into the National Guard; not because of any issues with such, but because that sort of commitment is something that should require a lot of thought and consideration.

(disclosure: I have a number of friends who are or were in the service, including one presently in the Guard)

Also, Kurt, don't feel bad about what you do; I know I couldn't cut it in your line of work, and for all the criticism the legal profession gets, lawyers fill an essential role in any civilized society.

• Like 1

One of my nephews (I have roughly 50 billion of them) - not the one that lives with me - asked me to shoot his senior photos for him.  He hated the idea of doing them at all but, if forced, wanted me to do them.  He & his mom came over this weekend to check 'em out and were very pleased with the photos.  This makes me happy.

• Like 3

Yesterday was solid. My son came to see me act for the first time ever. We snuck him in for my one act, which is as close to a children's show as I'm going to get. Afterwards he told me he was proud of me. Can't describe how awesome it is to be on stage and hearing your kid laugh at you.

Also got cast in what will be batshit insane production of Macbeth.

Riding high, riding high.

• Like 5