DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Did they do it? Wouldn't MORE billable hours be a "good news" situation?

Criminal defense lawyers get paid upfront. Its hard for clients to pay us back when they're in prison.

(And there's always way more to the story than some simplistic "did they do it?" which frankly isn't determinative of whether or not they'll ultimately be convicted of anything)

(Yes I got paid for the trial)

(The court actually owes me money now)

My free 1 year Sirius trial ends next month. I've been on the fence about renewing or not. One the one hand, at $180 a year, it's a little pricey. On the other, I love being able to listen to footy talk in my car. Plus I hate the local music stations here, so having a ton of genres on my dial is amazing.

So, my mind was made up for me today when Sirius sent me a special offer giving me $100 off for the next year. Woo!

You can almost always get a deal from them.  In fact if you maybe wait a month and call back and say you just can't swing the cost, you can probably get it for even a bit less than that.

I've had it in my car for years now.  Honestly, I think it's getting a bit less adventurous.  It seems like more and more of their stations are just playing the most obvious stuff and as soon as I see the artist name pop up, I know what song I'm about to hear.  They still don't have an old-school punk station and the closest thing they have to a real punk station and the classical side of things has gotten pathetic.  It's down to one station mixing pops and classical. 

That said, on long trips it's a lifesaver. 

Just looked at the Canadian vs US channel line-ups. You guys get a lot more actually. We don't even have that punk channel. Incredibly jealous that you get BBC Radio 1 though.

Still, what I do get absolutely destroys local radio where it's rock, pop, rock, pop, country, classic rock, alt rock and rock.

There is a Kpop channel.  That's pretty neat.  The "Punk" channel we have plays mostly Eminem and Jason Ellis.  It's technically an "action sports music" channel...which is the most absurd thing I've ever heard of.

There should be at least three punk stations.  One for roots punk.  One for 80s hardcore.  One for modern stuff.

And at least three classical stations.  One for really ancient stuff, one for classical/romantic, and one for modern/experimental.  Similar with Blues.  One station and not enough old-ass stuff.

The new wave channel is good.  Some of the metal stations are good.  There's a cool French (Canadian?) "chanson" channel too. 

All in all, with the alternative being even one second of radio commercials, which are the equal of a jackhammer living inside your skull, it's a win, and worth it especially if your car has nice controls for it.  My car is old and cheap and I have to fiddle with the buttons of a standalone receiver which kind of sucks.  But when I've driven cars that have it built in, it's a lot more fun to jump from station to station. Especially if they have those little buttons on the steering wheel for it. That's rad.

Yeah, gonna need more details on the child sex abuse thing before I can decide if that's good news or not.

Can't go into details of my case, but here's some facts on another case that's headed to the Supreme Court that I based a few arguments on:

Guy meets girl at bar. She used a fake drivers license that says she's 22 to an off duty cop to get in, and shows it to the Guy on request. She has a Facebook that says she's 22 and that she's a waitress at a bar. She smokes cigarettes and carries herself like an adult. Guy starts relationship with her, introduces her to his family who all believe she's 22. Of course she's 16. She also has a lengthy juvenile record including prostitution. Does that guy deserve to go to prison and be a registered sex offender?

Of course not.

In Texas, they just affirmed that conviction and its headed to the Supreme Court. We'll see what happens there. In Texas, it was a 2-page opinion and a 50 page dissent by the chief justice about how absurd that the complaining witness lying is not an affirmative defense.

It's great news.

I am now residing in Copenhagen. I'm working quite a nice contract which means I'll be staying in a hotel and drinking some of the best beer the world has to offer (principally Mikkeller, but I had some Polish craft beer yesterday)  for 6-9 months, with paid for trips back to London every month. If I'm lucky, I may also get to go to Budapest afterwards.

• Like 1

Totally forgot about this, but at the Brewers/Dodgers game I was at last Sunday the first time AJ Ellis came up to bat some dude a couple rows in front of me yelled out "AJ! I MET YOUR PARENTS THIS WEEKEND AND THEY WERE VERY NICE!" And then "YOU SEEM LIKE A STAND-UP GUY!"  

Made my fuckin' day.

Finally got a call from my long-ago former employer regarding the on-going battle to get my retirement benefits as a lump sum payment. (For a little history, they asked me if I wanted it, I said "Yes" and then they said I couldn't have it due to changing my address!!!) Anyway, after making a bit of a stink about this the powers that be apparently acknowledged their error and the nice lady said they could either send me the lump sum or a couple of hundred bucks a month for the rest of my life.

The latter option would seem smarter as I don't expect to die anytime soon, but I'd really like to get a new car and my teeth fixed, so we're doing the lump sum. They're calling back today to let me know when the dough will be deposited in my account. Now to steel myself for a bunch of teeth getting yanked...

Oh yeah, and I should be able to buy about $2000 worth of books too. Happy, happy, joy, joy!

• Like 1

Came home Thursday night to a refund check from the hospital for $195 for my visit - in February 2013. That was a nice surprise! I have no idea why they sent it to me.

• Like 1

Came home Thursday night to a refund check from the hospital for $195 for my visit - in February 2013. That was a nice surprise! I have no idea why they sent it to me.

Yea one time an old employer sent me a check two years later for like $150.  Said it was for 'overtime'.  I did not call and ask why, I dropped what I was doing and went straight to the bank before they changed their minds.  Nothing better than getting surprise money in the mail.

• Like 1

Woman enters giraffe exhibit at Madison zoo, gets kicked by giraffe

“I got hit in the face by a giraffe," she said. "I had to deal with all that. That was a lot of pain to deal with already. I don’t need a fine and this on my record. I don’t 'harass' zoo animals. I’m an animal lover.”

What a special little snowflake.

After working without a contract for almost five years, my wife's union (municipal worker) finally made a deal with the city that keeps the overtime terms they wanted (double pay certain days) AND includes a $2800 signing bonus.

Given how deep in the hole we are with certain things (do you have any idea how much daycare costs in Philadelphia?!), this couldn't have come at a better time, boy I tell ya what.