DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Burgundy, if you ever have any questions or are hesitate about what you may be told about diabetes, feel free to PM me. As I mentioned, I might not have all the answers bu I have been around the block. A word of advice, do NOT listen to the typical media. They don't know their own ass from a hole in the ground. Hell, there are practitioners that don't. Make sure mom gets a reliable endo. They specialize in diabetes and thyroid care. Endocrinology was what I was going to go to med school for until shit got in the way.

• Like 1

Good luck.

Thank you, I can use all the good will I can get.

Burgundy, if you ever have any questions or are hesitate about what you may be told about diabetes, feel free to PM me. As I mentioned, I might not have all the answers bu I have been around the block. A word of advice, do NOT listen to the typical media. They don't know their own ass from a hole in the ground. Hell, there are practitioners that don't. Make sure mom gets a reliable endo. They specialize in diabetes and thyroid care. Endocrinology was what I was going to go to med school for until shit got in the way.

Thank you, I'm sure I'll be bugging you soon enough!  My biggest concerns are wound care and blood pressure. The surgeon seems to be giving good vibes about her wound, but I worry about infection and healing and what can be done to naturally speed up the process.  I also worry about her BP getting out of control. 

I dunno if this is specifically GOOD NEWS, but it's amusing, and we can all use that. We had our new hires go on a "manager scavenger hunt", where basically they have to find associated managers and ask them what they do, and a couple of other random questions. One of the random questions is "What would your entrance music be?" and someone helpfully explains, "Y'know, like WWE?"

Underneath my button-down shirt, I'm wearing a Wyatt Family t-shirt, so I'm debating whether to say "Broken Out In Love" or not. I chicken out a bit, though, and end up saying "Final Countdown"

Not really good news but a nice memory.  When I was a kid on July 4th, me and this one other kid would go around the neighborhood for a few days afterward collecting all the abandoned shot-off and exploded fireworks people left laying around.

Everyone was like "What good conscientious boys to clean up the neighborhood! Blah Blah."  But what it really was was a kind of Arms race wargame we played.  You see, if you collect all that stuff and lay it out in nice orderly rows, you've got what looks like a kind of high-tech arsenal for your plastic army guys...rockets and missiles of various sizes from regular Black cats to big monstrosities...and yes even tanks and canons and various explosive devices and, when you get lucky launch tubes for what were obviously intercontinental artillery shelling

So we would line them all up and see whose force was winning the arms race and then try to figure out how a war with all that stuff would go.  It was a pretty bizarre thing to do, but at the time was fun as fuck...running around looking for the biggest things we could find.  Of course various spots in the neighborhood were gold mines, where teenagers would go to blow up their secret stashes.  And we rush out to make sure the other guy didn't get the giant launch tube ones.  Those were like the nuclear weapons, man.  You couldn't be outgunned there or all the little bottle-rocket missiles in the world wouldn't help you.  We would end up scouring and mapping every inch of our neighborhood and beyond toting around these bags that were overflowing with spent ordinance.

One rule we had was, bottle rockets that had just the stick left didn't count.  They had to still look like a bottle rocket.  Every now and then we would find live ammo that either hadn't fired or had been abandoned.  Best find ever was one of the "200 shot screaming" missile batteries where only the first 30 or so had fired, and they just left it there...probably scared to go and kick it.  So we carefully tore away the all-blowed-up part and added some wick and had ourselves a free "170 shot screaming missile battery" to fire off in secret on July 5th.  We assumed it must have been worth $1000 and briefly debated whether we should fire it off or sell it on the black market.  It was probably worth about $12 and you got another one free...but what the hell did we know?

Dumbest thing we did is we found a big shell that clearly was supposed to go into a tube to be fired in the air.  But we didn't have a tube, so we just put the thing on the ground and lit it and stood there like idiots while it exploded right in front of us and sent little burning fragments of paper reigning down on us.

Good times.  I still love the smell of bottle-rocket powder in the morning.  It smells like victory...over another third-grader's plastic army overwhelmed by the stash of roman candles you found behind the Burger Chef parking lot.

• Like 5

My father's health looks up to be on the upswing again. He had to have surgery to correct ahernia in his adboman, and apparently, had he waited another week to have it done, the man would have been dead. He started coming around, but then got struck down by an infection, and had to get opened back up again.

But, he's once again coming back around. He's doing physical therapy every day, and can now take showers on his own. He should be on his feet and back home in a few weeks. I told him that I'm only 31, I should be *his* age when it's time for him to go.

• Like 2

Went to watch in the night garden live wit Mrs Red and baby C. We didnt know how it would be received by the wee one - she's shown interest in the TV show, but balked as she walked in the "studio set" of the live performance.

Baby c was transfixed by the entrance of her favourite characters, the tombliboos.

However, her meeting with a six foot tall Upsy Daisy didnt go as well as hoped. I'm quite surprised child services weren't called, with the amount of screams in the area.

I thought about coming in here and talking shit about politics so jae would close this thread but thought better of it.

"It's good news week... someone dropped a bomb somewhere contaminating atmosphere..."  

I consider myself an educated man with a decent understand of both mathematics and business, but I have to admit that I don't understand insurance rates.

It's time to renew my auto insurance, so I checked with my auto insurer to see what kind of deal I'd get for buying renter's insurance. They come back with this: Buying a year of renter's insurance (cost: $160) would save me $30/month on car insurance.

...what? I mean, I'll take it, but does this make any sense whatsoever?

I thought about coming in here and talking shit about politics so jae would close this thread but thought better of it.

"It's good news week... someone dropped a bomb somewhere contaminating atmosphere..."  

Also, someone's found a way to give the rotting dead the will to live. NO ONE WILL EVER DIE!

• Like 1

I consider myself an educated man with a decent understand of both mathematics and business, but I have to admit that I don't understand insurance rates.

It's time to renew my auto insurance, so I checked with my auto insurer to see what kind of deal I'd get for buying renter's insurance. They come back with this: Buying a year of renter's insurance (cost: $160) would save me $30/month on car insurance.

...what? I mean, I'll take it, but does this make any sense whatsoever?

I understand it but refuse to explain it to you.

Yeah but, that's a hell of a discount. "We'll increase our potential liability and also charge less."

I guess it makes sense because retention means more than just I keep paying, but that I increase my insurance when I get older and get a nicer car/apartment/house whatever.

And in point of fact, I'm as loyal as a cat, and will bolt the second I get a better offer, so joke's on them!

It's the exact same as bundling your phone, internet and cable together.

Which ironically I don't do because fuck Comcast and AT&T.

My wife and I closed on our new house yesterday afternoon. We are really excited! It's about 110 years old. It doesn't require too much work -- just some paint touch ups and the like. It's super nice and has all these weird, old ornaments -- old steam pipes and the like in different rooms. We've always wanted to live in an old house with charm and now we finally will be.

We actually have made some very nice headway with the actual move itself. Our new place is three blocks away from our current house. My wife's a master of logistics and has done an insanely good job getting our packing done already. We have a moving company coming on Sunday. Our goal is to leave them only with couches and beds and things like that.  Then from Sunday on we'll be officially in our new place.

I will be REALLY happy when we're able to sell our current house. The prospect of two impending mortgages is really horrifying. Hopefully our place sells fairly quickly and we won't have to worry about it.

Happy, happy, joy, joy! Just got my pain meds refilled, (after my near death last month, I'm still at only about 60% and in a great deal of pain, mostly from sores caused by the hospital  not moving me around when I was in a coma for four days.) Anyway, in about half an hour, I'll be feeling much better. Morphine's a helluva a drug. ;-)

• Like 1