DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

I met a really nice cool girl I'm going to hang out with on Saturday. Although physically she wouldn't be the type of girl I would have dated in the past (i.e. she's a bit heavy set), her personality and her smile goes a long way for me.

SMDH.

What? What am I doing wrong? I have no judgments about her whatsoever. I don't care what she looks like -- a cute girl is a cute girl as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to share too much on here about her.

We talked for a bit and I found that I had a lot in common with her and I wanted to get to know her better, so we exchanged numbers and agreed to meet up.

I mean, it's just meeting up for coffee, what am I doing wrong?

Two sections of Intro literature, which is a required first year course.

That's the issue; not because intro lit classes suck (English major reporting for duty), but because a lot of kids think they do. But as a result they're missing out on some great classics that deserve their reputation.As an aside, I must be the only English major who HATED Henry James and T.S. Eliot.OK. MY Good News post!After years of being sure it would never happen, the wife and I have been approved for a line of credit at our local credit union. It's not for a lot (a little south of three grand), but it will help us pay our bills right now and serve as a safety net on the off-chance we find ourselves underwater again. Suck it, past due daycare balance.

What? What am I doing wrong? I have no judgments about her whatsoever. I don't care what she looks like -- a cute girl is a cute girl as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to share too much on here about her.

We talked for a bit and I found that I had a lot in common with her and I wanted to get to know her better, so we exchanged numbers and agreed to meet up.

I mean, it's just meeting up for coffee, what am I doing wrong?

We've been down this road for you before.  And not once has it ended well.  It tends to go--

1.)  I met a new girl.  She's not my type, but she seems nice.  I'll give it a chance. We're going to hang out soon.

2.)  I hung out with the new girl, and what a hag. She laughed at me/gave me a fake phone number/has a boyfriend that she was trying to make jealous/cusssed at me/has crappy friends.  It was bad.

3.)  I shouldn't have bothered.  She's a fatty/not that good looking/kinda ugly and so not my type.  Eff her. What  a waste of time.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I say this as someone who can empathize with the lack of social skills.  I'm awkward as hell.  But you can't go into these situations with pre-conceived notions.  If someone isn't your type, then why bother getting to know them, and then use that against them when these quasi-relationships go bad?  You're picking on them and setting yourself up for failure.  Thing is, I think you enjoy it, as though you're channeling your energy toward these negative scenarios.  That's not healthy.

I don't mean to psycho-analyze you.  Hell, I don't know what I'm talking about and I sure as hell don't have room to point fingers.  But when do you stop to say it's not them but maybe you?  We all have likes/dislikes and things that push our buttons.  Seriously, I've straight cussed out people on this board.  But not everyone.  And based on what you post here, every girl you've met over the past several months has had some defect.  It's belitting toward them but more importantly, it's taking away from your chance to form meaningful friendships.

• Like 2

If DVDVR was a long running sitcom, the the last scene of the this season's finale would be Andrew and Burgundy waking up hungover in bed together and screaming in horror at what they've done.

• Like 11

If DVDVR was a long running sitcom, the the last scene of the this season's finale would be Andrew and Burgundy waking up hungover in bed together and screaming in horror at what they've done.

What is it with you and saying stuff that ends up being my new signature? Seriously.

Ernie Hudson favourited a tweet of mine.It really isn't good news on the surface. But I like to think of ol' EH, relaxing by the pool with a cigar and a good book, casually favouriting a tweet from a loyal fan.

Met Ernie Hudson at a convention a few years ago. Such a nice, nice, nice man. Looked like he was happier being there than his fans were. He even wore his Ghostbusters outfit.

Ernie Hudson favourited a tweet of mine. It really isn't good news on the surface. But I like to think of ol' EH, relaxing by the pool with a cigar and a good book, casually favouriting a tweet from a loyal fan.

I got a DM from Chris Kluwe a couple weeks ago after respnding to a tweet of his about those awful Dominos commercials.

Getting one's car totalled is not usually good news, really, but I'm choosing to take it that way. The other guy accepted responsibility, and the settlement is coming quickly. Most importantly, however, I'm not dead, or even anywhere close. A mild concussion is the worst I've got, which, considering I got hit by a rather large truck, moving at roughly 40 mph, is quite lucky. Silver linings. 

Getting one's car totalled is not usually good news, really, but I'm choosing to take it that way. The other guy accepted responsibility, and the settlement is coming quickly. Most importantly, however, I'm not dead, or even anywhere close. A mild concussion is the worst I've got, which, considering I got hit by a rather large truck, moving at roughly 40 mph, is quite lucky. Silver linings. 

Yikes, that's scary.  Glad that you're OK.

The weirdest follower I have is Thomas Ian Nichols (Kevin from the American Pie movies) who followed me out of the blue, before I followed him.

After you've done Halloween: Resurrection, nothing seems like a bad idea. Although I do find it weird that the second-worst* person in the movie (Katie Sachoff) has a career, and the others don't.

*Worst is the guy doing the awful Jack Nicholson impression.