DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Awesome time camping and canoeing on Lake of the Woods this weekend. Highway back to Winnipeg got shut down on the way home due to an accident, so what do we do? Sat on the paved shoulder and played a game of cribbage. Fun times had by all.

For the first time in days, I am pain free. It won't last, but enjoying it for now.

Oh man, I know that feeling.  I have a bad back and have only been pain-free twice in the last year.  One time for a day from anesthesia (steroid injection that didn't take) and another time just out of the blue.  That was HEAVEN.  Enjoy it, my friend!

Hooray! The mystery of my ginormous waters bills has been solved!  The WATER METER had spring a leak, and wasted 38,000 gallons of water over the past two months.

When the water lady opened up the cover to our water meter it was literally like a sprinkler going off.

This isn't good news so much as it's I feel a little better news.

Through local gossip, I heard that a high school classmate had gotten married and that I knew his new bride, though no name was given.  A short investigation on Facebook showed me that he married another classmate and that they're expecting a baby.  I'm happy for them, as both were pretty nice during our high school days.

What made me feel better is that looking through her list of friends, I saw a bunch of people from the past and they're not looking much better than me these days.  No one would have ever mistaken me for hot or even cute, but just means that my fall from grace was a short one.  Some of these people thought themselves above it all and to see time kick them around---it's not nice of me, I realize.  But it helps to keep things in some perspective.  None of us have hit the big time, best I can tell.  We look like the middle-age coots that we are.  And the earth keeps turning.  Nothing special, really, but it sort of made me slightly more optimistic about my lot and that things may turn out OK for me.  Who knew seeing crows' feet and extra weight on old classmates would make someone happy?  :lol:

Start a new (non industry) job next week. It's retail, but with industry connections and a place that seems pretty badass to work at- think like comic book store level cool but all horror stuff. Which makes it cooler than a comics store, sorry.

So, things had been rather bad around my house this year. Me and my mom live together, and we pull our money and plan to do that until we don't have to anymore. Well, last year, we were looking in good shape in reguards that we were totally caught up on house and car payments, and I was starting to put together plans to go to community college, and all that jazz... and then the company my mom works for cut her hours drastically 3 weeks before Christmas... and told her "they had no more work for her" the day after Christmas. And then contested her unemployment (which we did get, but it made it so that our January was complete hell)

This, naturally, cut us back a bit, especially since I'm a retail worker, and January leads to no hours whatsoever. We managed to keep our house and car... but at the expense of just about everything else. Our water was shut off March 1st. Our electric was shut off March 2nd. Neither have been back on since. Our Gas wasn't on to begin with, but that's a different story.

So it's been 8 months, with me and my mom both looking for a legitimate "No.1" job, filling out applications and having little luck. A few interviews here and there, and then nothing.

Then, last week, someone contacted my mom, saying they found an old resume she posted on Monster, saying she loved her resume, and brought her in for an interview. It went really well. They said they'd call her back on Wednesday. No call. We were volunteering at a local "Wing Ding" on Thursday, as since we've had nothing else to do with our free time, me and my mom have gone into A: Charity Work and B: Tennis, when my mom called just to make sure on the entire thing, when they told her "If you wouldn't mind waiting, can we call you back in a couple hours". Yes. She got the job. We are euphoric, since she's gonna be getting paid more per week then she was at her last job, she'll get paid every week, and a bunch of other good stuff about it.

Much optimism in our house. Which is new.

• Like 6

Packing has begun for Dragoncon.  Between seeing old MUSH friends for the first time this millennium and the general nerdgasm of the whole affair, last year was one of the most overwhelmingly positive emotional experiences I had.  Now I'm 35 pounds lighter and a lot more socially confident, so I'm expecting to enjoy it even more by virtue of not being paralyzed in a corner at any parties I go to.  Wish I had more money to play with, but thanks to the federal furlough I'm only there through the grace of friends who chipped in to pay my share of the room.

Next year:  Yellowjacket costume.  For real this time.

Last night I went into work not expecting anything different from the usual work related stuff, but I ended up quite surprised after being on the clock for a few minutes. It turns out that one of the managers is stepping down, and they need to fill the position. They interviewed me...me of all people. I dont know if I will get the job, but I want it desperately.

This means I would have to work an average of 3 days a week, better pay, and less physical labor. Please let me get this job.

Best of luck to 1075th and the Lamp.

So since I've mentioned it a few times, and since I am about to backslide during four days of drinking too much and eating shitty convenience food in Atlanta, my weight this morning was 222.6 pounds.  I'm officially below my New Year's goal of "below 225" with months to spare; the first week of weight training (after I found a suitable beginners' guide) resulted in losses of five pounds in ten days.  I panicked and called my gym monkey brother (who has admitted that his wife pretty much tells him how much he can bulk up, and without her he'd be looking like Warrior in his prime) to make sure I hadn't started starving myself (he said it's normal to have a week or two like that, but if it continues it's an issue.  It hasn't continued.)  My current plan is to shoot for 200 before starting to think about actual muscle building (with extra protein for muscle gain etc.) instead of just trying to cut the fat and shit.  I already weigh less than I have at any time since 21, and feel pretty damn great about it.

My Mum didn't have any fits yesterday, a pleasant change from the norm. My Mum's home, all I/we can do now is hope she recovers best she can as her health isn't the best. We were told my Mum will probably be going between staying in and out of hospital.

• Like 5

Had a great time going out for some dinner with my Mum today, first time she's gone out since this shit all started,

Great news, mate! Maybe this means she's out of the woods for now? #hopefully

Cheers, mate. My Mum's health is very poor so hopefully we can get my Mum's health as right as we can.

Despite battling a head cold, I finally passed my driving exam at the third attempt today. Parallel parking was not an issue at all today, did it perfectly first try. Then went and bought myself a 2013 Dodge Avenger for my first ever car. Picking it up on Wednesday. Very good day today.

After a really shitty last month and a half, things are looking up. Last month I lost my job at the nursing home due to some total bullshit, my car died, and the home was contesting my unemployment benefits. I interviewed at a pest removal company, of all things. Well, I got the job. It's more money than I was making and I get a company vehicle. Now, I had to resign from the strip club I've DJ 'd at part time for the last seven years, as the new job requires all my attention. It's a little bittersweet as I've made a lot of friends here and the manager has always givenme hours whenever I needed them. This is my last week here, and I'm currently sitting here bored as there are almost no customers. But one of the girls just went home and she tipped me out 100 bucks. So things are pretty cool.

• Like 2