DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Nope. The fucked thing is, we still need the leftover money to pay for shit like student loans, car payments (upgrading from a 1998 hoopty hoop with a heater that blows CO gas into the cabin to a 2011 Corolla comes with a car note; who knew?!). Even more fucked is, even if one of us wasn't in the picture, the other makes too much for a subsidy (we call it CCIS here, I don't know if it's called the same elsewhere).

And I'm not even going to talk about private school costs when the time comes, that's for the OTHER thread.

Man, private schools are so damn expensive.  I have to say that when I transferred to a public school after 7th grade, I was shocked that I was being taught the same stuff again.  YMMV of course, and likely may with it being 25 years later.

Had a good time at the show last night.  Got the announcements and introductions right and most of my jokes went over well(so, of course, I'm dwelling on the one joke that I botched, LOL).  Still, pretty cool to host a bigger show like that...Dustin Diamond does some very dirty material(compare it to Bob Saget in the didn't-hear-THAT-on-his-TV-show department).

I'd heard some very mixed reviews of him as a comic and as a person...also, I've learned that your mileage may vary when it comes to "celebrities" doing standup comedy(some do more wacky storytelling than actual joke-telling).  He was cool to me when I spoke to him before and after the show...he had some good material and the audience definitely had a great time.

Found a bigger place for 50$ more a month which includes a washer and dryer in the deal. Only downfalls are is that we won't be super close to the liquor store any more(dry county) and we are moving to the more dangerous part of town.

No beer and no tv makes Homer something something

#EverySimpsonsEver

• Like 1

So, some of you know the story of me leaving the radio group I was with for 15 years and being hired by a new group with a new rock station built around me. Well, last week, the local newspaper AND the CBS affiliate contacted me to do a story about my move. Meanwhile, my former employer has had to completely lock down their facebook page (which is in freefall as far as interaction and "likes") because of open hostility toward their new direction. When a shift like this happens in a small market, it tends to be a coin flip as to who will "win" the battle of popularity. I won by a bunch. The best revenge is living well and, after the way my former GM treated me and others, I'm more than happy to see him eat shit professionally.

• Like 4

We had an active shooter on post today.  Solder shot herself in an apparent suicide attempt. MP's managed to get to her and she was medevaced to MCV.

I am none the worst for wear.

Edit:  Damn.  Just informed that the solder died of her injury.

Found out that I'm being "let Go" from my job at Family Dollar. It was just a part time shit wage job, but still it was something. It came down to not enough hours or some bullshit, and yes I had made some mistakes, but an asst manager who fucked up alot more than I ever ever did was demoted to cashier, and poof, I'm gone. Still haven't gotten any paper work or anything, but as far as I know its official.  I have a BA in history(I know its not the most marketable) and have trouble finding work. Pocatello doesn't have the greatest economy in the world, and alot of my "problems" are based on me not wanting to move(its complicated). Probably will sub again for awhile, oh well. . . 

Edit: sorry, I thought this was the neither good nor bad thread. . . 

I have a BA in History as well.  I ended up getting a few tech certifications after school and working my way up the tech ladder.  I never regretted getting the History degree as some jobs I have had required a degree in anything and it looks nice on the resume, but without the tech certs I dunno what I'd be doing right now with it.

I also have a History degree. I've always enjoyed history and learned a fair amount in college. I've realized though that it doesn't get you much unless you want to be a history teacher or work in a museum. Fortunately, I have a naturally deep radio voice and that's the field I'm working in right now and since it's a field that doesn't really emphasize education, I lucked out. On the other hand, it's really difficult to find full time work in radio so it's still a rough time (career-wise) for me. I have hopes something will open up eventually.

I have a BA in History as well.  I ended up getting a few tech certifications after school and working my way up the tech ladder.  I never regretted getting the History degree as some jobs I have had required a degree in anything and it looks nice on the resume, but without the tech certs I dunno what I'd be doing right now with it.

If you don't mind me asking, what areas are you certified in?  My English degree is adorable, but only gets me so far and I have no desire to teach.

We had an active shooter on post today. Solder shot herself in an apparent suicide attempt. MP's managed to get to her and she was medevaced to MCV.

I am none the worst for wear.

Edit: Damn. Just informed that the solder died of her injury.

Glad you're ok, and that's a shame about the soldier.
  • Like 1

If you don't mind me asking, what areas are you certified in?  My English degree is adorable, but only gets me so far and I have no desire to teach.

All I have at the moment is my Comptia A+ and my Network+, which are two most tech jobs either require or greatly encourage. I didn't take any classes for them, just studied on my own and took the exams (which are expensive enough anyway).  But I also worked my way up the old fashion way to get the knowledge and experience... started at a low paying tech call center, went to a mid-level paying tech call center, then a contractor job as a desktop technician, and finally got hired by the employer permanently last year.  Took about four years total :P  But I went from $9 an hour to now 45K a year which is fairly decent, if I can switch over to Network or Servers it goes up exponentially but I gotta get more education for that :(

• Like 2

I hold a BA in English, and I'm a clerk with the state government.  I'm interested in seeking out an IT position with same, but they most require at least an associate's degree in IT.  I'm mulling over taking an online program through Thomas Edison State or Excelsior, but Oregon State also has a post-bac BS in computer science which would qualify for those jobs.  So take a look into that program, maybe?

All I have at the moment is my Comptia A+ and my Network+, which are two most tech jobs either require or greatly encourage. I didn't take any classes for them, just studied on my own and took the exams (which are expensive enough anyway).  But I also worked my way up the old fashion way to get the knowledge and experience... started at a low paying tech call center, went to a mid-level paying tech call center, then a contractor job as a desktop technician, and finally got hired by the employer permanently last year.  Took about four years total :P  But I went from $9 an hour to now 45K a year which is fairly decent, if I can switch over to Network or Servers it goes up exponentially but I gotta get more education for that :(

Glad to hear of someone else successfully going the route of self-study to get their tech certifications.  I've been studying on my own for the past two months for the Comptia A+ and just feel like it's an endless slog that, in the end, isn't going to get me to even pass the exam.

Despite 4 years of experience, without a college degree or any certifications, I'm pretty much stuck at the job I'm at unless I want to take a massive pay cut and start from the bottom again somewhere with more mobility.

I'm in the same boat as you as far as certifications. Unfortunately, I have not followed up on it, and now work at Wendy's as a soon to be Manager. And yes, these certs are damn ass expensive.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I DO do tech work on the side, but need to get the word out more. I call myself an independent contractor. I just need to start going to Vista Print and get some business cards out there.

Dag Gone It, one more thing. I do have a Facebook business page, but I haven't done anything with it. I need to hustle on that , too.

I'm in the same boat as you as far as certifications. Unfortunately, I have not followed up on it, and now work at Wendy's as a soon to be Manager. And yes, these certs are damn ass expensive.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I DO do tech work on the side, but need to get the word out more. I call myself an independent contractor. I just need to start going to Vista Print and get some business cards out there.

Dag Gone It, one more thing. I do have a Facebook business page, but I haven't done anything with it. I need to hustle on that , too.

I'll be the first to admit I got a bit lucky, which I guess is how things work.  I had an interview for a contract job, didn't get it.  14 months later, the guy calls back and asks if I am still interested in a six month contract for the same job, I said yes.  He didn't even interview me again, just told me to show up next Monday, someone had dropped out at the last minute.  So for some reason this guy kept me on file for over a year and called me about an unposted job, then gave it to me without even having me interview with the employer.  If that hadn't happened I don't know where I'd be right now, probably still at Canon.  So I took a chance by quitting my full time job to take a six month contract that wasn't 'to hire' hoping they'd keep me.  My mom thought I was nuts.... she still does, but she admits I was right anyway.  Of the five guys that were contracted I was the only one that got a permanent position.

Found out that I'm being "let Go" from my job at Family Dollar. It was just a part time shit wage job, but still it was something. It came down to not enough hours or some bullshit, and yes I had made some mistakes, but an asst manager who fucked up alot more than I ever ever did was demoted to cashier, and poof, I'm gone. Still haven't gotten any paper work or anything, but as far as I know its official.  I have a BA in history(I know its not the most marketable) and have trouble finding work. Pocatello doesn't have the greatest economy in the world, and alot of my "problems" are based on me not wanting to move(its complicated). Probably will sub again for awhile, oh well. . . 

Edit: sorry, I thought this was the neither good nor bad thread. . . 

Anyway, to continue the story, I work at the Chubbuck store, I could have picked up some hours this week at the Blackfoot store(about twenty miles away), but couldn't do it do to transportation concerns. So the Poky store wanted me today, and I agreed for Sat(had a commitment for today). I asked him about maybe transfering over there, but he was non committal. Mainly due to our district manager being out of town. So I really don't know if I have a job, but I think I don't. UGH. I have only worked at two retail places, Walmart(almost four years) and family dollar. Although all the stories you hear about Walmart are all true, Family dollar is so fucked up it makes Walmart look really good. . . .

Nice story.

I worked at a St. Louis-area radio station for about nine years after attending Broadcast Center.  It's a big market but most of the stations are under the umbrella of two or three bigger companies...so there aren't as many job opportunities as I'd like.  Had call center and data entry jobs since then and wondering if I'll need to go back to school to find a better line of work.