DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

Got my license at age 27. Having a kid kind of made it a necessity.

Dang, you were old! :PI don't know how I got out of it for so long. There's no public transportation in my area and I managed to finish school and work for a time without a license. My parents just chauffered me around, until they got tired of it once and for all. Not catering to me? Neglect, I tell you! ;)
I live in Philly, so I got around on the bus, even if the public transit system here sucks shit through a straw. Once the kiddo came into being, there was no way around it anymore, so to the driver's license course I went. I can't imagine in a place with no public transit without a car.Also, I was 27 when I got the license, and 28 now, for what it's worth.

U-S-A!CAN-A-DA!U-S-A!CAN-A-DA!NORTH AMERICA ROCKS! :D

"Vince McMahon's decision to throw away the original intent of the New Hart Foundation angle in 1997 would pay off in dividends down the line, but at the time seemed downright suicidal."

Wait. You guys can't parallel park and have licenses?Man, I want US/Canada parking spaces.

You know when you barely squeeze into a spot and then someone else does the same in the next one to you and you have to do an 8 point turn to leave?Doesn't happen, ever. I love the new world.

I got my license at 18, and I did fail the test once, because of parallel parking. 

I have literally never parallel parked in my entire life since the test, and almost certainly couldn't do it now.

I have literally never parallel parked in my entire life since the test, and almost certainly couldn't do it now.

Hah I was going to say the same thing. If I lived in the city maybe it would be different but rural life does not equal "let's make parking more difficult" very often. I literally haven't even attempted to parallel park this century.

In non-parking related endeavors... I actually got some sleep last night for the first time in like 3 days. Insomnia sucks, but it was such a relief just to get a normal human 8 hours. I was so loopy by the end of yesterday and feel so much better today.

When I hear 'Toyota Yaris' all I can think of is the bizarre ads they ran in Marvel comic books when the model debuted, claiming it was big enough for four passengers or one MODOK.

And of course I'm just kind of scoffing at the 'never owned a car/got my license at 2X' bit since I can't even pass the eye test.  If I ever spawn, the poor kid and mother are going to hate life pretty quickly.

Got my license at age 27. Having a kid kind of made it a necessity.

Dang, you were old! :PI don't know how I got out of it for so long. There's no public transportation in my area and I managed to finish school and work for a time without a license. My parents just chauffered me around, until they got tired of it once and for all. Not catering to me? Neglect, I tell you! ;)
I live in Philly, so I got around on the bus, even if the public transit system here sucks shit through a straw. Once the kiddo came into being, there was no way around it anymore, so to the driver's license course I went. I can't imagine in a place with no public transit without a car.Also, I was 27 when I got the license, and 28 now, for what it's worth.
I feel no shame admitting at age 24, I have never even attempted to get my licenses.

Passed my test in january 98. didnt get my own car until 2008. Have had no need for one when public transport is what it is, round here.

Pretty much the same for me.  Got my license on my second try, during the summer after I finished high school, but I hated driving so much that I never got my own car until I was 31 (and re-took driving lessons before making the purchase, since I was more than a little out of practice).

And I absolutely can't parallel park.  Have never tried since I got my license.

I don't really have a better place to put this, but I wanted to share here. Tomorrow is my birthday, and I have decided that for everyone who wishes me happy one over on Facebook, I will donate a dollar to Thresholds, which was the charity that Larry Sweeney's family asked donations to go to after his death. Anyway, my name on Facebook is JR Goldberg if anyone is on there and wants to find me and send me a note. It's for a good cause!

I guess I will donate for PMs on here as well if for some reason you don't have a Facebook account or want to stay private or whatever. Either way is fine.

Just had my first real visit to the weight room (dipped my toe in Saturday but wasn't sure how a couple of things worked, went with very low weight, etc.) My exercise regime for today:

5m warm up on the eliptical, just pressed "quick start" with no program or extra resistance or anything

Weights (all were 2 sets of 8):

Chest fly 40lb
Leg lift 40lb
Leg press 50lb
Chest press/horizontal bench press/whatever 30lb
Pull downs 40lb
Per a recommendation from my brother the gym junkie I also did two sets of eight on the pull down machine with my grip reversed to work different muscles (also 40lb)

30 min on the climber

Next weight workout will be Saturday or Sunday. Since Monday and Friday are "workout if I have time" days and Wednesday is always a skip, and the beginners' guide I saw said not to do weights two days in a row, I figure Tue/Thu/one weekend day is the best schedule to start with so I'm not skipping and screwing with a weight day if I miss an 'extra' (as I will assuredly be doing tomorrow). I also need to find a way to work on my abs; I know spot fat reduction is a myth, but that's not really a problem right now. I just want to have something to fill up the loose skin I'm about to start having as my belly keeps shrinking.

Went to the hospital and they refused to lance the giant knot/cyst on my back. But they gave me antibiotics, pain pills and cream.So the fever is gone and for the first time in days, I have not silently wished for the sweet embrace of death. Hopefully it clears up for good.