DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

I had this piece on NASCAR published on The Classical last week. It was also picked up by Salon.I went to Dover to see the Nationwide race a few months ago.My general thoughts on NASCAR: I really like it a lot on TV. There's so much more nuance and strategy and the like than any lay person would ever guess. It's such a fun sport that has a lot of really great personalities. It's awful in person. It's cool to see how fast the cars move in person. However, you can't hear a thing (and may need protective hearing devices) and you just sit out in the roasting sun.

• Like 1

I had this piece on NASCAR published on The Classical last week. It was also picked up by Salon.I went to Dover to see the Nationwide race a few months ago.My general thoughts on NASCAR: I really like it a lot on TV. There's so much more nuance and strategy and the like than any lay person would ever guess. It's such a fun sport that has a lot of really great personalities. It's awful in person. It's cool to see how fast the cars move in person. However, you can't hear a thing (and may need protective hearing devices) and you just sit out in the roasting sun.

Dude that's awesome.  Getting published is getting published!  Hopefully it means you're getting paid, too.  I don't care at all for NASCAR, but I'll read it to get you pageviews.  This is Good News!

My nephew plays with the DC Comics and Marvel legoes. I got to watch him today. The Justice League and the Avengers teamed up to whip the ass of every other lego figure in the house. Good day.

I've had a license for almost twenty years (holy crap!), but I've never done the whole find-a-car-that-I-like-then-go-to-the-bank-and-get-a-loan-buy-the-car-from-the-dealer-pay-loan-for-a-number-of-years thing until now. I've been sharing a car with my wife for the past year. This is going to be fun.

Got my license at age 27. Having a kid kind of made it a necessity.

Dang, you were old! :P

I don't know how I got out of it for so long.  There's no public transportation in my area and I managed to finish school and work for a time without a license.  My parents just chauffered me around, until they got tired of it once and for all.  Not catering to me?  Neglect, I tell you! ;)

I didn't drive until I was 29, though that was health related for me (the state of PA likes their drivers to not have seizures, I guess. Crazy!). I bought my first car a year ago, so I know the feeling well.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Canada must have some strict driving tests, because in Michigan or Indiana I swear they will hand you a license if you can point out a car from a bus on a picture.

It got much harder to get a license at least in Alberta back in the late 1990's when they moved from a straight learner/s permit/full license to a "graduated license" system. Or at least so I'm told as I got in right at the end of the old method.

Now, all these years later of living in the country, I drive in the city like the AI in Grand Theft Auto games but I still have my license. Har har har.

It's annoying. When practicing I can do it 7-8 times out of 10. In the test, it's 3 strikes and you're done, and I can't even come close.

I couldn't do it for years. I'm okay at it now.

• Like 1

This was a good long weekend. Pickup soccer game Saturday afternoon, drinks with friends Saturday night, 27 holes of golf on Sunday, then top it off with some beach volleyball on Monday. Good times, mother fuckers! :)