DVDVR Message Board

THE GOOD NEWS THREAD!

Burgundy LaRue

My Mum's out of hospital. As you know my Mum's in poor health especially 2012 to the present day and getting pneumonia was one I feared. I just hope she can stay out of hospital long as possible. Thank you for the posts of support here, they really help.

• Like 7

i don't share a lot about me but in my experience someone else has to know for something to become a reality in my life and the rest of my posse's asleep

The shortest possible version of my story is that I buried my father at the start of high school, badly hurt my knee in high school, let myself stay in a shit relationship for five years, and then buried my closest uncle (bought my first guitar) at the end of that relationship and the start of college. Skip ahead a few years and I'm a 360+ pound ex-binge drinker who knows how to write songs. Last year was the first year things have started looking up, with getting into SDSU and finding a group of very intense and creative friends.

NOW THE GOOD NEWS: I made two a-few-days-after-new-year's resolutions: play my first show, and get good at yoga. I ordered the DDPYoga set because I guess I'm still a mark, and I'm writing this after doing it the first time.

I can do this.

• Like 8

So I'm an uncle now. I'm keeping it on here and not on the Facebook because I'm still waiting for my brother and sister-in-law to take the reins there, but she was born Friday evening and after some oxygen issues that she powered through like a champ, there's a healthy baby girl that has been added to our family. Couldn't be happier!

• Like 7

i don't share a lot about me but in my experience someone else has to know for something to become a reality in my life and the rest of my posse's asleep

The shortest possible version of my story is that I buried my father at the start of high school, badly hurt my knee in high school, let myself stay in a shit relationship for five years, and then buried my closest uncle (bought my first guitar) at the end of that relationship and the start of college. Skip ahead a few years and I'm a 360+ pound ex-binge drinker who knows how to write songs. Last year was the first year things have started looking up, with getting into SDSU and finding a group of very intense and creative friends.

NOW THE GOOD NEWS: I made two a-few-days-after-new-year's resolutions: play my first show, and get good at yoga. I ordered the DDPYoga set because I guess I'm still a mark, and I'm writing this after doing it the first time.

I can do this.

Yes you can. If a fat tub of no effort lard like me can do and stick with c25k, then ddp yoga (while it will probably kick your ass as well) will be beneficial in the long run.

Someone suggested the insanity workout during the summer if im successful in losing some of the excess pounds. 

http://theclassical.org/articles/leaving-it-on-the-field-in-coatesville

This is good news about bad news. There is a small city outside Philly called Coatesville. The city is one of the poorest in the country. It's school system is one of truly the most diverse. They had a scandal earlier in the year where the superintendent and athletic director resigned in mystery. The reason? They exchanged horrific, racist text messages with each other that were unearthed when one of the duo asked to have his iPhone upgraded by the IT department. There was an alleged cover-up. And it also opened up a whole can of worms about school district corruption, some involving the football team.

I spent a few months of my life working on this. I went to football games, board meetings, etc. I would love it so much if you read it.

Hell of a read. My girlfriend lives in Norristown and we go to Downingtown all the time. Sadly, this type of corruption isn't new in this state - there are all sorts of messes going on here in central PA too.

Northeastern Pennsylvania is even crazier. I just finished reading a book about the Kids For Cash scandal. For those who don't know, a juvenile judge and a colleague of his essentially shipped kids off to a juvenile facility, a lot of times for the most minor of crimes. In exchange, they made millions in kickbacks. In order to work a public sector job in that part of the state, you essentially have to pay a bribe first. Apparently teachers have to leave envelopes filled with a few thousand in cash to get hired up there.

Joe -- do you live in Harrisburg? The attorney Ellison who is in a heap of trouble is a major player there. I couldn't get into the details of it since I wanted to keep the story as simple as possible. But he essentially ran the current mayor's campaign for office. He was also the chairman of the trash incinerator authority that put the city into financial catastrophe. This is the guy essentially calling the shots in Coatesville right now. I can't believe he got rehired. Actually, I can believe it.

I cut my teeth as a reporter going to small municipal school board meetings. I would be one of three people usually. The Coatesville meeting I went to was completely bonkers. I barely even touched it. They're all archived online if anyone is interested in seeing them. The one where the middle school director lays out the bribe/promotion she was offered is truly classic. She presented timestamped photographs of when these meetings occurred. I couldn't really fit that into the article without language awkwardness. Completely nuts.

I do live in Harrisburg, and I know all about the new mayor - he was a Latin teacher when I was in junior high school, and my dad was working on his opponent's campaign this fall. I also know alllllllllllllll about the Kids for Cash shit...because my dad is from Luzerne County, where a lot of it is going down.

This state, man...this state.

New(er) car was signed for. 2010 Toyota Camry. Digging it so far.

Tying into the "totaling my car by hitting a deer" story, I heard back from the bank today. The warranty I had on my old car will cover the insurance gap and give me $130 back in the end. It astonishes me that wrecking my car led to me making a profit...

Starting the year strong.

The show I am has sold out three out of four nights so far. And people have been really positive about my work.

And I applied to write for decent sized film site, and they liked my stuff and are going to let me write about cinematography/image interpretation stuff, and Chicago festivals. My first piece should be published in the next week or so.

I'm hitting my goals early and hard.

• Like 9

Does the person who gets the most March Madness picks correct get naming rights?

Congrats on all of the above post, btw.

If you shitbums had not ruined last year's March Madness I could have named jae's second born? You sons of bitches!!!!!!!