DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR MARCH MADNESS '14: GLOBAL WARFARE

jaedmc

Eh the right lucha dudes got in. I'd have fought for Aero Star but he wasn't used a lot during the voting period this year. Or last year.

Aerostar's on my shortlist of guys I would've put in if this was 64 Wrestlers That Jae Liked to Watch in 2014. If this were that tournament, a lot of these guys wouldn't even be included.

Hurry up.

Rockstar Spud v. SUWAMA in the opening round is hilarious.  Four of the better luchadores eat each other alive in round one, while this years Cody Deaner advances over the sixtieth best guy in Japan. 

Where the heck have you been? You should have been here pimping lucha..  I'll be honest, after all the WWE/U.S. indies/Japan, I really don't have much time for anything else but for this tourney if someone can point to the best work of x-wrestler I will definitely give them a look. I'm not sure how many will vote this way but I'll agree the lucha guys deserve an opportunity.

I'm mainly just needling Jae because that's the funnest part of this process and I assume he knows I'm not being malicious.  Having said that Virus v. Rush, and Park v. Panther in the first round while something like Spud v. SUWAMA is a first round match suggests mafia involvement.  Of course the flipside is that luchadores are going to have a tough go of it no matter what because not as many people watch them so by putting them against each other you are at least ensuring they don't all get popped in the first round. 

As far as where I've been, well I never left in spirit, but the low intensity trolling got to be too much for me for a while.  I always knew I'd be back for March Madness

Honestly, out of the guys I know of, the ones who were my biggest "why are they in this tournament" on this list, I don't think Dolph tops Big Show. I loved Big Show last year, but I can't remember a damn thing he's done this year that I find worth noting.

Big Show's best was the great Last Man Standing match with Alberto Del Rio on Smackdown in January 2013 . Only thing I can remember about Big Show this year was Brock Lesnar swinging chair assualt at the Royal Rumble.

But that LMS match isn't in the voting period. It's March to March, more or less. Like I said, I LOVED him last year. Argued strongly he should have got further, and that him losing to Henry was a joke. This year though... There's no substance there.

I agree.

Honestly, out of the guys I know of, the ones who were my biggest "why are they in this tournament" on this list, I don't think Dolph tops Big Show. I loved Big Show last year, but I can't remember a damn thing he's done this year that I find worth noting.

Big Show's best was the great Last Man Standing match with Alberto Del Rio on Smackdown in January 2013 . Only thing I can remember about Big Show this year was Brock Lesnar swinging chair assualt at the Royal Rumble.

But that LMS match isn't in the voting period. It's March to March, more or less. Like I said, I LOVED him last year. Argued strongly he should have got further, and that him losing to Henry was a joke. This year though... There's no substance there.

I agree.

While Big Show did not have a great year when compared to 2011-2012 (the Henry series and the Bryan mini feud) and 2012-2013 (Sheamus series and Del Rio matches) there is some few bright spots. Everyone is sleeping on Show vs Orton from Extreme Rules, I thought it was a really strong showing for both guys but Show was great throughout the match. I think their was also a Show-Sheamus Smackdown match from April that was quite good. And while the booking was off I thought for the first two months of the Big Show-Authority angle he played his part well.  Sorry about the gushing guys I am just an unashamed Big Show mark.

Rockstar Spud v. SUWAMA in the opening round is hilarious.  Four of the better luchadores eat each other alive in round one, while this years Cody Deaner advances over the sixtieth best guy in Japan. 

Where the heck have you been? You should have been here pimping lucha..  I'll be honest, after all the WWE/U.S. indies/Japan, I really don't have much time for anything else but for this tourney if someone can point to the best work of x-wrestler I will definitely give them a look. I'm not sure how many will vote this way but I'll agree the lucha guys deserve an opportunity.

I'm mainly just needling Jae because that's the funnest part of this process and I assume he knows I'm not being malicious.  Having said that Virus v. Rush, and Park v. Panther in the first round while something like Spud v. SUWAMA is a first round match suggests mafia involvement.  Of course the flipside is that luchadores are going to have a tough go of it no matter what because not as many people watch them so by putting them against each other you are at least ensuring they don't all get popped in the first round. 

As far as where I've been, well I never left in spirit, but the low intensity trolling got to be too much for me for a while.  I always knew I'd be back for March Madness

I listened to your podcast on basically the history of Triple H. It surprised me because I didn't expect to agree with you on anything but most of your criticisms were fair. It was a good listen.

Re: luchadores, I look at it like this..  maybe pitting them against one another will force people to watch their matches instead of saying "no fucking way was so and so better than WWE guy" and just voting without a second thought.

I have to think about how I want to vote; I am thinking that some combination of "matches/output this year" and "general quality of the wrestler" should suffice. I want to be at least a little bit consistent in my voting. 

Shit. I already have "Dylan Talks About Vordell Walker" covered on my March Madness Bingo card.

Re: luchadores, I look at it like this..  maybe pitting them against one another will force people to watch their matches instead of saying "no fucking way was so and so better than WWE guy" and just voting without a second thought.

My reasoning was to have at least one or two matchups where Hardcore Lucha Fans can have fun, and not have to deal with explaining to someone why so and so is better than Austin Aries. I've already heard from a few people who are actually watching shit they never would have watched before, specifically from Lucha, which is probably the least watched of the three major groups on the board. THere were people who didn't even like the idea of having them or Puro guys in. I'm glad I went this way. There's a couple of lames that I probably could have left off and replaced with anyone else, but I think this will be decent year for getting people to get out of their box a little bit. There's lots of kickass wrestling going on everywhere, and it's even more fun when there's lots of people to discuss it with.

• Like 1

Or, I just may not bother voting in those matchups. Would a matchup between two luchadors get more votes than a matchup between two TNA guys?

I shall have nightmares of Big Show eliminating Casas by virtue of WWE employment.

When it happens - I might as well just light the board on fire

Grr....

This is surely an idiotic question, but I'll go ahead and ask it: How do I watch Lucha? I mean this in the sense of, especially for trios matches, what is the basic structure(s) that I should be on the lookout for? I just don't want to watch a trios match and look at it like I'm watching a Shield/Wyatts match. On the other hand, the one-on-one matches make structural and narrative sense to me.

I'm having a blast looking up some of these competitors, especially watching and re-watching NJPW. It's not my favorite style, but I do have an appreciation for Tanahashi's work this year. 

Picks are in. Other than a possible Rollins upset, Cesaro got the jobber bracket to the final four. I feel bad taking Goldust over Rush, because Rush is fucking awesome, but there's no way the board is going to vote a lucha guy over Dustin.