DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR MARCH MADNESS '14: GLOBAL WARFARE

jaedmc

DVDVR MARCH MADNESS 5: GLOBAL WARFARE

March Madness started in 2009. I think. It was a bit messy with more emphasis on madness. In the second year it became the sort of Wrestler of the Year competition that it is now.

In all previous years, wrestlers came from only US/Canada promotions. This year, we’re trying something different, we’re including people from all over the globe. I asked people in the Purotopia and Lucha sections who they thought should be in. I looked at wrestlers who showed up in DEAN’s Internet Wrestling matches thread, and I even ventured over to Wrestling KO, to see who were the guys being pimped over there. I tried to get include people that were interesting and diverse.

For me, March Madness isn’t about the bickering but celebrating some quality pro-wrestling, and hopefully you all will get exposed to people you haven’t seen before. If you don’t know jack about Lucha, check some out. These wrestlers are the guys Lucha fans believe best exemplified the form in 2013. Not sure about them Japanese dudes? We have wrestlers from just about every major company there, ranging from badass heavyweights to some of the best flippy dudes in the world. I didn’t forget that this board leans towards the WWE, so they got a lion’s share of the spots. However this year you won’t see the jabronies that would crop up in year’s past. No Miz. No Kofi Kingston. No Sin Cara. Those spots have been given to guys like Shinsuke Nakamura, Negro Casas, and LA Park. A clear upgrade if you ask me.

I know that a lot of you haven’t seen shit from a big chunk of these folks. I ask that you at least give each unknown a shot before voting. A match or two isn’t asking much and who knows maybe you’ll find something you can watch when your company of choice starts putting Batista on TV.

RULES
Generally speaking one votes based on a wrestler's performances over the last year. People are allowed to argue in favor or against any wrestler, as well as post any video evidence needed to back up said arguments. However don't take shit personally - this is all in good fun, and any trolling should be recognized as such. 

IMPORTANT: You may have noticed that Rippa and the Powers That Be have given me an upgrade in abilities. If you take things too far, or become too much of a nuisance - you'll be getting a time out. So if you're trolling and having a laugh- don't go over the line. If you're being trolled, wake the fuck up. Above all: Don't be an idiot. 

HALL OF CHAMPIONS

2010: Rey Mysterio

2011: Daniel Bryan

2012: Daniel Bryan

2013: Daniel Bryan

*It should be noted that CM Punk was runner-up every single time.

POLLS OPEN MONDAY MORNING

• Like 3

Truth Commission

Austin Aries vs. Prince Devitt
Sheamus vs. Sami Zayn
Big E. Langston vs. Titan
Go Shiozaki vs. Luke Harper

Suwama vs. Rockstar Spud
Virus vs. Rush
Goldust vs. Dean Allmark
Kota Ibushi vs. Dolph Ziggler

Los Boricuas
Chris Hero vs. Christopher Daniels
Daniel Bryan vs. Bo Dallas
Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk
Michael Elgin vs. William Regal

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Magnus
Ryback vs. Harry Smith
Jun Akiyama vs. Dean Ambrose
Kazuchika Okada vs. Yuji Okabayashi

Nation of Domination
Mark Henry vs. Bully Ray
Kana vs. Seth Rollins
Katsuyori Shibata vs. Daisuke Sekimoto
Alberto Del Rio vs. Dr. Wagner Jr.

Antonio Cesaro vs. Adam Cole
Robbie Dynamite vs. Cody Rhodes
AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
Adrian Neville vs. Terrible

Disciples of Apocalypse 
LA Park vs. Blue Panther
Randy Orton vs. KENTA
Bray Wyatt vs. Masaaki Mochizuki
John Cena vs. Volador

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Chris Masters
J. Uso vs. Christian
Roman Reigns vs. La Sombra
Big Show vs. Negro Casas

Picks are due by Monday Morning, 6 am Pacific time.

I think this year might end Daniel Bryan's three year reign. Cesaro and Goldust I see as favourites to do so. S.H.I.E.L.D. should do well with their great run.

I don't think Goldust has any chance against Bryan: Bryan just had too many good matches over the entire year.

Cesaro though... He's completely on fire right now, and whats fresh in peoples mind matters. But the funny thing is, with the Network, you can rewatch any televised match from the last year at will from the E guys, and a reminder of Bryan being amazing in his stretch post mania could remind people of the order of things.

Unless given an EXTREMELY favorable draw (No Bryan/Cesaro/Rollins/Goldust/Reigns/Harper/Wyatt), Punk's run of runner up finishes is about to end. I'm not sure I'd even have him in my top 16 in the last year from E.

I'm still hooked on that bracket. I think Regal has an argument between his amazing performance both in the Cesaro angle and their match, his announcing, his podcast appearance, his twitter feed, to be the best all around person employed by a wrestling company in the period. 

Brock is nitroglycerin. The raptor yell. The Miz destruction. The crazy death sprint with Big Show. 

Punk is underrated on the year, I think. I really liked the Heyman feud even if a lot of people didn't and I think the match vs Brock was really strong. I also like his babyface tag work late in the year a lot because he seemed to be having a lot of fun hamming it up as a hot tag and it showed.

Bryan is Bryan, but Bo Dallas is a guy who might have made it to the third round if the brackets had been made a bit differently. He's just that entertaining an act. 

• Like 1

I think this year might end Daniel Bryan's three year reign. Cesaro and Goldust I see as favourites to do so. S.H.I.E.L.D. should do well with their great run.

I don't think Goldust has any chance against Bryan: Bryan just had too many good matches over the entire year.

Cesaro though... He's completely on fire right now, and whats fresh in peoples mind matters. But the funny thing is, with the Network, you can rewatch any televised match from the last year at will from the E guys, and a reminder of Bryan being amazing in his stretch post mania could remind people of the order of things.

Unless given an EXTREMELY favorable draw (No Bryan/Cesaro/Rollins/Goldust/Reigns/Harper/Wyatt), Punk's run of runner up finishes is about to end. I'm not sure I'd even have him in my top 16 in the last year from E.

Goldust is one of the board favourites so that's why I thought he might have a chance against Bryan. Both had quality matches, Bryan had more and a full year in the WWE unlike Goldust. I can see it as quality vs. quantity.

Chcukled we get a SummerSlam 2013 rematch in the first round. That's quality vs. quantity. Punk had both while Lesnar had four matches and delivered in three of them. I liked most of Punk's 2013.

Feeling like I need to personally work on putting together a case for Adam Cole, just to get people to realize that he had a very good year even though he'll be getting roughly 0% of the votes.  But it's gonna be tough since recent US indy stuff is (understandably) scarce on the intertubes.

Frankly, I think Goldust might have brought more to the table this year than Bryan. Lately, especially, Bryan's dropping of his selling when he goes back on offense has been troublesome to me. I don't think there are too many people on the board that wouldn't say that Goldust's FIP selling and general timing isn't better than Bryan's. 

Again, it might be whether you look at things on the basis of "great matches" (of which Goldust still had a good number) or general trends over matches. 

Or if you go with some criteria totally outside those.

• Like 1

The Pick 'Em link is busted for me.  Anybody get it to work?

Some potential later round matchups that are chubbing me out:

Sami Zayn vs. Luke Harper

Goldust vs. Luke Harper

Daniel Bryan vs. Brock Lesner (if only)

Cesaro vs. SWAGsuke!!! Yes, please.

Roman Reigns vs. KENTA???  Probably not, but I want it anyway.

Final Four: Goldust (narrowly defeating Harper), Bryan, Cesaro, Reigns.  #WWEBIAS