DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Wow. That Double J episode may have been the best one. There were so many times I said to myself, "this is unbelievable, how many chances will this asshole get?"

I disagree that it was the best one, however it was very good. I too thought the same thing about all of his chances though. It's weird. I wonder why Vince had such a thing for him when he's always burned him and the fact he never pushed him past the IC level.

Yeah, really great episode. Conrad losing his shit at the absurdity of the litany of women Jeff put in the figure-four was great.

Probably the most interesting part of the episode was the discussion of Jarrett's '97 shoot promo, Austin's reaction to it, and whether Russo gave the okay. 

One interesting bit of "what if" history is Jarrett leaves in WWF in October '99. Austin goes out with an injury a month later. I always wonder if with Austin out, if Jarrett gets a shot at main eventing. I mean, there was a lot of talent at the top of the card but Jarrett was hot. I guess it depends on whether or not you think losing to Chyna would have killed his credibility. 

Also, Schiavone covered his friendship with Flair this week. Entertaining, of course, but if you don't like hearing about Naitch's dong for 90 minutes ymmv.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 hours ago, Hagan said:

Yeah, really great episode. Conrad losing his shit at the absurdity of the litany of women Jeff put in the figure-four was great.

Was that written by Russo? I assume so, because Kanyon was doing the same thing a year later in WCW when he was Positively Kanyon.

On 9/21/2017 at 10:17 AM, Hagan said:

Probably the most interesting part of the episode was the discussion of Jarrett's '97 shoot promo, Austin's reaction to it, and whether Russo gave the okay. 

One interesting bit of "what if" history is Jarrett leaves in WWF in October '99. Austin goes out with an injury a month later. I always wonder if with Austin out, if Jarrett gets a shot at main eventing. I mean, there was a lot of talent at the top of the card but Jarrett was hot. I guess it depends on whether or not you think losing to Chyna would have killed his credibility. 

Also, Schiavone covered his friendship with Flair this week. Entertaining, of course, but if you don't like hearing about Naitch's dong for 90 minutes ymmv.

I just listened to that here at work and I'm trying not to crack up. Who knew that 4 hours of a podcast about Jeff Jarrett would be more entertaining than Jeff Jarrett.

They seemed able to process it well but Jericho taking his young daughters to see IT definitely raised my eyebrows.

In other bizarre happenings in podcast-land, I sometimes wish there was a little more kayfabe but MLW acting like their upcoming IPPV is a SHOOT~! is a little offputting.

Man,  I don't mind Bruce's bullshit usually but during the last episode covering Badd Blood '97 he started rapping rhapsodic about "what if Bret had DECIDED to stay with the WWF in '97? Wouldn't that have been great? I really wish he would have agreed with Vince and stayed. He made a mistake decided to leave etc." 

Okay, I get that Montreal revisionism is de rigueur these days but Jesus fucking Christ. To say that Bret WILLINGLY left is pretty goddamn absurd. Vince came to him said "hey, I can't honor your contract at all, and your losing your spot as top heel and you should honestly probably call Bischoff" and Bruce is treating it like it was Bret's call to leave? Gimme a fucking break. That's like your wife dumping you and you DECIDING to move out of your house.  Considering the second Bret walked they backed a truck full of money up to Mike Tyson's house I don't think there was every any hope on the WWF's part that Bret would stay. They wanted him gone. 

So, yeah, for probably the first time listening to the show I was outraged. 

• Like 1

Prichard is just another in a long line of carnies keeping their options open.  Just like every other ex-WWE employee who talks the talk about "I can say whatever I want (on a podcast or wherever) because I have no plans on ever going back there," he's just a mark who would rush back to "New York" in a heartbeat if the old man deigned to call him.  That's one reason I stopped listening to his show.  It was painfully obvious we'd never get the full truth on anything that could be damaging or overly critical of McMahon. 

Yeah, I mean I don't need or want a shit on Vince McMahon show because there are certainly plenty of those that fairly (and unfairly) do so. I also get that by and large Bruce's WWF experience was a successful and lucrative one. You can certainly stand up and be proud of the the successes you had, but the Bret thing was just weird revisionism. I have never heard anyone try to argue that Bret could have realistically stayed in the company once Vince said he was going to breach the contract. 

• Like 1

The WCW Live reunion with JB, Bob Ryder, Russo, Konnan, Mark Madden and Disco on Konnan's podcast was a fun listen, it's the first 20-30 mins of this weeks show.

Transported right back to 2000 and trying to listen over a crappy net connection!

Killing the Town has been great. I have a couple of wrestling podcasts I subscribe to on iTunes, but Killing the Town is the only one I actually make it a point to listen to every week. I generally only listen to the other ones when they have a guest I'm interested in or something (Jericho's in particular).

Wasn't a big fan of Lazenby (sp?) when I first started listening, but he's grown on me a bit. And Awesome/Awful, as someone said, is a lot better than Retro ECW, IMO.

They're also responsible for getting me interested in NJPW, which is nice.

• Like 1

And on that note definitely check out this week's episode.  It's a 2-hour tribute to Hawk since it's been 14 years since he passed.  He seemed like he was a super nice and caring guy that had his demons, but it's well worth a listen.