DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2016 at 1:10 PM, Super Ape said:

GOOD PODCAST ALERT

Check out "The Card Is Going to Change" if you haven't already. It's a weekly thing with the co-owners of AIW out of Cleveland, talking about the process of booking indie shows, signing all stripes of workers from indie "names" to ex-WWE guys to old-school legends, and it just pulls the curtain back a little and shows how the proverbial sausage is made.

They gave a shout out to this board on the last episode I listened to - the "Chandler Is Still Crying" episode.

Haku on Flair's podcast really is amazing.  Flair asks about the time Haku and Hawk got into with some basketball players in Japan.  Haku tells a story about fighting some Irish basketball players in Japan complete with doing an Irish accent.  Flair asks him if Hawk was there, Haku pauses, chuckles, and realizes that was a different time he got into a fight with some basketball players in Japan.

The Puerto Rico story is the best.  A couch kept him from throwing a guy out the window, Puerto Rican bikers, clotheslined a cop as hard as he could, a police car ran over his foot.  Cop puts a shotgun to his head, "What? What I'd do?"  Gets taken to prison, "I made everyone know that I'd kill three or four of them before anybody fucks me in my ass."

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the first episode of Killing the Town with Cyrus and Lance Storm. Sound quality could be better (especially Storm) and there was a bit of awkward pauses/talking over each other which I guess was due to lag between their connection but the content was good.

4 hours ago, bazzil said:

I liked the first episode of Killing the Town with Cyrus and Lance Storm. Sound quality could be better (especially Storm) and there was a bit of awkward pauses/talking over each other which I guess was due to lag between their connection but the content was good.

Thanks for the reminder!

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, they fixed the Lance's sound problems in episode 2 of Killing the Town.  Paul Lazenby is the guest and it's more Canadian Death Tour stories.  There is the high hilarity in episode one of them talking about them Killing a Town on the death tour and Lance Storm talking about throwing shitty Lex Luger style punches.  Didn't explain why he continued to throw shitty punches for the rest of his career.

I was going come on here and recommend the AIW podcast but I was beaten to it. I just want to reiterate that "The Card is Going to Change" is a really good podcast. A lot of fun and at around 30-40 minutes it won't take a lot of your time if your one of those people who don't like long podcasts. For me the only thing I don't like is that the shows isn't longer but there's great stories galore. Highly reccomend it.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah think I'm giving up on the Conrad sh-- I mean Flair's show. After the bollocks that was Brother Love being on it last week while they talked about Flair's WWF run as he wasn't there, Magnum TA was on this week. After 20+ minutes of adverts. Where they then proceeded to ramble and trip up over each other while Conrad nasally tried to ask wrestling questions. Then cut the interview short after maybe another 20 mins

• Like 1

Conrad's alright; look at what he has to work with.  Flair's a sad old dude telling the same old stories about his glory days 30 years ago.  It's depressing to listen to a broken down old man who's probably near broke, divorced multiple times, don't get me started on the issues with his kids, and all he wants to do on his show is live in the past and talk about drinking, getting laid and partying.  It's an embarrassment.   

• 2 weeks later...

Flair's most recent pod with the Nasty Boys reached new levels of unlistenable. The only thing worse than Ric and one of his old drinking buddies talking over each other is Ric and TWO of his old drinking buddies talking over each other. I don't turn off podcasts all that often but I couldn't make it more than 20 minutes into this one (including skipping half of that which was ads).

• Like 1

Didn't him and Flair get in a fight at a bar too that he wrote about in his book? 

Wait, should I even ask that question? 

Ken Shamrock talking about wanting to kill them is on Youtube and even though I don't like Shammy much either it's pretty funny. It's also pretty serious in that they bushwhacked him and beat him pretty bad, and never got their comeuppance. Seems like they got a pass for way, way too long

EDIT: the interview 

On 11/30/2016 at 11:13 AM, bazzil said:

I really like Killing the Town with Storm and Cyrus.  

I love the stories about indy wrestling in Canada. The ECW TV reviews are great. Cyrus' war with Disco has kept me laughing, especially the latest one.

I just started in on this one and am trying to listen to it from the beginning. Think I'm most of the way through Episode 3. The story behind the "Killing the Town" name was great, I thought, as was Storm and Cyrus talking about scripted vs non-scripted promos. I had no idea how many guys are apparently word-for-word scripted promos.