DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

I like Killing the Town a lot.  The Disco feud was a bit strange but that seems to have stopped after last week (I hope)  But the rest is pretty good.  I need to find a Bob Brown promo just to see if he really talked like that, no way that can be real.

10 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like Killing the Town a lot.  The Disco feud was a bit strange but that seems to have stopped after last week (I hope)  But the rest is pretty good.  I need to find a Bob Brown promo just to see if he really talked like that, no way that can be real.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2016 at 8:29 AM, CreativeControl said:

Folks, I tried wading through Bischoff's Twitter but it was all politics bullshit. Is his podcast any good or is it more of the same? And have we reached peak-podcast?

The co-host is really bad. He's the same guy who did Bret's short-lived podcast and I guess is now doing Bill Apter's, although I haven't heard it yet. I don't quite understand how he became the unofficial wrestling podcast co-host because he's just unlistenable to me. 

If you can get past that, I think Bischoff's podcast is pretty decent. It's kind of interesting to hear his takes on present-day wrestling from more of a business/production standpoint, and his interviews are usually always good. He had a great one with Ernest Miller a couple of weeks ago.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2017 at 4:50 AM, bazzil said:

'Bulldog Bob Brown' doing commentary for Okada/Omega on the latest Killing the Town had me in tears of laughter.

Not having had any knowledge of "Bulldog" prior to this show, it's nice that there was apparently a pro wrestler that sounded exactly like the high school principal from Beavis and Butthead.

But yes, that was amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

The Tony Schiavone/Conrad Thompson podcast got off to a pretty good start.  Not sure how much longetivity there will be in its current format but Schiavone's vulgarity was amusing and along with the Prichard show sort of offers some pushback here and there against the Meltzer (and his sources) historical narratives that have pretty much gone unchallenged since the dawn of the dirtsheets.

On Meltzer's 1997 criticism that Goldberg's gimmick wasn't highlighted enough as being that of a shoot fighter: "No one gave a fuck about shoot fighting back then."  Hard to argue with that.

Other comedy, when Meng asked Schiavone on how to get his kid to listen to him.  "Just tell him who the fuck you are."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bazzil said:

Holy shit were Lance and Cyrus brutal on Disco during their interview last week. Totally shat on him.

Considering Disco has one half decent point out of a ton of shitty ones I don't blame them.  I also think there's a bit of bitterness from Lance about WCW's booking and Disco was the target of it all.  I would think if it was anybody else that was on that team they'd get similar treatment.

• Like 1

Disco is just Russo Lite.  He probably feels indebted to Russo for his only real push so he has to back up his buddy's awful philosophy, arguing in favor of "work doesn't matter, bro, just good stories" at every opportunity.  Lance calling out his "I don't watch Japanese wrestling but I know I don't like it" was phenomenal.

• Like 1

I love Killing The Town. There's so many little moments on that pod that make me laugh, but there was one I had to leave my desk because I was going to strain something holding in my laughter. 

Lance is telling a story about The Rock doing a segment with a little person, "Booker Wee." Wee kept missing his cues, including the one where Storm's supposed to hit the ring. Lance eventually gets out and superkicks him...which the little guy no-sells. 

Without missing a beat, Cyrus says in a completely deadpan tone: "You should have stretched him." I died. 

• Like 1

Killing the Town and Bruce Prichard's show are basically the only continuously great podcasts out there at the moment, in my opinion. Sure, the Bryan and Vinny retro shows are great, but those aren't recent startups and you have to pay for them. 

The first two are great. I enjoy Prichard's more though. It's a way longer show, he has great stories, and his impressions are goddamn hillarious. Vince and Cornette especially. 

12 hours ago, Victator said:

I will say Disco was very good at bumping and selling. 

I'll take Disco as a performer. But as far as wrestling ideas go....no thanks. I remember a while back him and Konnan were talking about the DB push and how the crowds were going apeshit for him and the company pretty much refusing to do anything with him. Disco's thought was something along the lines of "well if it's working to get the crowd hot, why would I change?". Which is the philosophy that has killed too many towns and companies to count.

Of course Konnan was too high to say anything but, "huh, hadn't thought of that".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Killing the Town and Bruce Prichard's show are basically the only continuously great podcasts out there at the moment, in my opinion. Sure, the Bryan and Vinny retro shows are great, but those aren't recent startups and you have to pay for them. 

The first two are great. I enjoy Prichard's more though. It's a way longer show, he has great stories, and his impressions are goddamn hillarious. Vince and Cornette especially. 

Prichard's show has really grown on me.  Once you learn to tune out his WWE bias (he's really soft on them, to the point of outright lying) and his irrational Meltzer hatred, it's a fine show.  You have to take the good with the bad.  I think I'll pass this week, though.  I've heard so much XFL talk lately that the shows are starting to blend together.

Thompson also hosts a show with Shchiavone and the debut episode was damn good.  Tony's got a great sense of humor about himself and his place in wrestling and it's funny to hear him drop f bombs.

It's an acquired taste, but I'm bummed that seemingly nobody else here except @Sammo~!, I think, listens to Marty & Sarah Love Wrestling.

• Like 1

I love Marty and Sarah, but it's absolutely an acquired taste. They tend to go off the rails with impressions, and if that's not your thing it will drive you nuts. But the recurring characters and running jokes just keep getting better every episode. From Sexual Mauro to Roman Reigns: NJPW SUPERFAN, it's a pretty great show.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Thompson also hosts a show with Shchiavone and the debut episode was damn good.  Tony's got a great sense of humor about himself and his place in wrestling and it's funny to hear him drop f bombs.

Conrad is an excellent host. He does some serious homework, corrals the show, and most of all, he's a knowledgable wrestling nerd like all of us. He was great harnessing Flair during that show, does great with Bruce, and is really good with Schiavone.

Who, like mentioned, is a pretty funny guy. He's like Saget. He was this normal guy on tv for years and now, he's a foul mouthed funny bastard. 

By the way, the XFL one is pretty good. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 9:02 AM, joseph2112 said:

I'll take Disco as a performer. But as far as wrestling ideas go....no thanks. I remember a while back him and Konnan were talking about the DB push and how the crowds were going apeshit for him and the company pretty much refusing to do anything with him. Disco's thought was something along the lines of "well if it's working to get the crowd hot, why would I change?". Which is the philosophy that has killed too many towns and companies to count.

Of course Konnan was too high to say anything but, "huh, hadn't thought of that".

Well in regards to Bryan. Disco was not wrong. 

As for his booking, he has structurally sound stupid ideas.

Anyone else find Konnan's keeping it 100'unlistenable? I used to really like his MLW podcast, I think Court was able to keep him in check way more than Kevin Gill and Disco.

Ive enjoyed Prichard's podcasts and as mentioned previously Conrad does a great job on anything he's on.

23 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Anyone else find Konnan's keeping it 100'unlistenable? I used to really like his MLW podcast, I think Court was able to keep him in check way more than Kevin Gill and Disco.

Ive enjoyed Prichard's podcasts and as mentioned previously Conrad does a great job on anything he's on.

It is absolutely unlistenable.  I really enjoyed him on MLW but only listened to the new show a few times.  I just couldn't deal with the format.  It seems they tape an hour with each guest, then cut the interviews into bits and make them last a month.  The show jumps around so much that the first time I heard it, I thought I'd gotten a corrupt MP3.  Konnan is good but he's one of those guys who needs a good cohost to focus him.  Instead, we've got the exact opposite.

• Like 3

Listened to the first Austin Idol podcast and I thought it was really good.  Was a little worried because I thought it might be like 6:05 has become way more schticky than in the past.  Just straight forward question and answers and Austin has some great stories.

The Pedro Morales gum story is just :lol: