DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

I take it that he makes detailed notes before he starts and reads off 'em. Considering his background, I'm not surprised. Austin and Cornette, because of the nature of what they did, are probably quicker at improvising.

And I get that, but the first five minutes of JR's podcast comes off like the speech every Dean gives at a graduation ceremony. 

Wow, Cornette teases at the end of this week's ep saying next guest is somebody who without there would have been no SMW. 

Is Rick Rubin really gonna be on the pod? That's pretty awesome. I wonder if they'll talk about Cornette's favorite type of music. Rap. 

I've been listening to a lot of wrestling related podcasts lately. Outside of the bigger ones (Art of Wrestling, Steve Austin Show, Ross Report, and Talk is Jericho), I have to say there are a few pretty good ones out there.

I really enjoy everything that Place 2 Be puts out, and I think Voices of Wrestling may be my favorite wrestling related podcast so far. Off the Top Rope, PWPonderings, MLW Radio, and Live Audio Wrestling all offer some good content.

I'm iffy on the Wrestling Observer since I really don't like Bryan Alvarez. and I gave up on the Torch after a few episodes because I didn't find anything they did interesting. I also gave up on We Watch Wrestling after half an episode because it's just not my type of podcast. Just started listening to Lucha World and I dig that so far, and I'm still on the fence about Shining Wizards as I enjoy it at times but at others the crassness is a bit much.

I occasionally pop in on a new Wrestling Podcast done by a huge wrestling fan a couple hours north of me. I would love if people checked it out and offered some feedback. Info is in my signature.

I came to the horrifying realization that they may have been talking about the sleaze thread on the last ep of We Watch Wrestling.

I thought I caught a reference to the more unsavory side of wrestling

We were young... and needed the money.

I came to the horrifying realization that they may have been talking about the sleaze thread on the last ep of We Watch Wrestling.

I thought I caught a reference to the more unsavory side of wrestling

We were young... and needed the money.

We took it to a dark place

Just listen to Pat Loika's Loikamania podcast with Mike Quackenbush.  Fun stuff you ought to check it out.  Pat is a guy in the comics industry who loves wrestling.  Fun stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried to start listening to We Watch Wrestling. Started the latest episode. They start off talking about the Streak ending, 5 minutes into it they get a text "The Ultimate Warrior has died". Guess they recorded it Tuesday night last week. The rest of the episode is just fucking depressing.

• 2 weeks later...

I like that JR actually interviews people instead of just shooting the shit.

Also, as terrible as the current announce team is, I think I'd throw a goddamn brick through the TV if I had to hear JR say "Daniel Bryant" three hundred times every Monday night.

• Like 2

Haven't listened to it yet, but the newest episode of Piper's podcast has him interviewing "The Grappler" Len Denton. Since I grew up watching Portland Wrestling in the 80s, I am beyond excited.

is it just the Jake/Cornette interviews or does JR regularly use his interviews to get guests to talk about stuff on JR's agenda (like not having rules enforced in wrestling)? holy shit, we get it

We're on at least the third straight podcast today where JR has give the exact same monologue - heels shouldn't be cool, TNA should be an alternative to WWE, etc. We get it JR.